Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 04:09 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,819 times

Advertisements

Maineguy your post is another one of those posts that just bring out the worst in me. I have worked since I was sixteen years old, part time while in High school and full time since that time. I have worked full time while going to college at night, I worked full time while homeschooling my daughter and for many years I worked a full time day job and a job putting in over 20 hours on the weekends. I have always had health insurance until recently. The owner of the company I worked for closed the doors without notice putting 125 people out of work.
I do own a home that I could afford along with health insurance until I lost my job. The house is up for sale and I have found a new job but it certainly does not pay nearly what I had been making. To say that if I don't carry health insurance I would be leaching off others is a sad choice of words IMO. My choice is to make mortgage payments until the house sells or to carry health insurance. Should I let the bank take the house and make others suffer as one more person looses a home to foreclosure once again slowly killing the economy or should I take the health insurance?
Perhaps you and Zarathu should get together and when you are finished judging others, making hurtful statements and blessing us with your oh-so-smart opinions, you will come to realize that the lives we live are hard working, honest productive lives and not lives of leaching and waiting for others to pave the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 04:14 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
"Fair?" Who said any of this is going to be "fair", who said life was "fair." They maybe hard to manage, so what? Are we now afraid of some hard work? There are places that do it, let's ask them how they do it and copy it.
Where would that be?

Old 08-29-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststoppinby View Post
Zarathu should get together and when you are finished judging others, making hurtful statements and blessing us with your oh-so-smart opinions, you will come to realize that the lives we live are hard working, honest productive lives and not lives of leaching and waiting for others to pave the way.
I believe that you are also blessing us with your OH-SO-SMART OPINIONS, making hurtful statements to people who disagree with you, and judgings us without even bothering to ask us how we feel about specific instances but just plain flipping out without any data.

Of course you work hard, so do I, every day, and every day for thepast 43 of my working years.

If you had not just plain flipped out without bothering to look a little you might discover what kind of productive lives we have lead, how we have help many people, and how much we have supported others by thought, word, and deed.

But instead, you have chosen to just shoot your mouth off without bothering to even check to see whether what you are saying even matches any facts.

Is it working for you? I get to add another person who makes crazy unsupported statements to my Ignore list.

Zarathu

Old 08-29-2010, 04:39 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Is opinionated another word for rude?

Old 08-29-2010, 05:07 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,184 times

Old 08-29-2010, 05:43 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
Insurance is just that. It is a Just in case item. Just like for cars, Homes and anything else. Like anything else in life it is your choice to have or not to have it. If you want great insurance then get the appropriate education and make enough money to buy it. There is no excuse for not having adequate insurance for anything you own. I fyou can afford a 80 thousand home then you should have appropriate insurance for it but how many times watching the news about a house fire does the reporter say they had no homeowners insurance. Like to many things these days people think they somehow deserve something because they exist. If you want something EARN it. I hate to use a reality show for a example but the Duggers ( 19 kids and counting ) are a perfect example of my point. they have ZERO debt they get ZERO welfare The wife stays home and cares for the children while he works and supports them all.

So to all those who whine they don't have insurance get a job and buy it. The solution is not stealing more money from the people that do work hard and strive for more out of life by going the extra mile or more by going to school at night or working two jobs. If you can not afford something don't buy it. If you really want it you will find a way to EARN it. If you do not obtain something you really want you have no one to blame but yourself.

Failure is not a bad thing it is a great thing without it we would never learn to fight and try harder. So you have two choices leach off the sweat of others or work harder and be a winner. Only one will make you happy the other is a spiral down a never ending slope.
I am not being sarcastic when I say that I sincerely hope you never find yourself in any of the unfortunate situations that I've seen in my line of work lately. Juststoppinby is not alone.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:56 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I am not being sarcastic when I say that I sincerely hope you never find yourself in any of the unfortunate situations that I've seen in my line of work lately. Juststoppinby is not alone.
There should always be a safety net for hopeless situations. There should not be any welfare for those who CAN work.....period! dmyankee put it best... the people pulling the wagon are tired of the dead weight IN the wagon.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:06 PM

625 posts, read 792,187 times
Ok first let me reply to juststoppinby. If all you say is true then you are a direct result of this. why did your company close up? Could the cost of doing business in Maine have something to do with it.

Second When welfare was started it was ment as help in fact you where watched like a hawk and when you went back to work you paid back what you got out. That is NOT what we have now we now have a entitlement system where people think the gooberment owes them something. If we went back to the original plan I would be all for it except that what charity is for.

Last I am a prime example of a person whop PAID for his insurance so much so I was criticized over the years for carrying so much and so many kinds. Guess what 5 years ago while at work I fell off a roof. I broke L1 L2 L3 and t12 in the fall that's right four bones. now for the part your going to hate I did not need a SINGLE outside entity to help me. My insurance that I paid for on my own nothing offered through work paid and still pays ALL my medical bills AND I get a check every month. I did get a small settlement from workers comp that was of course also insurance I paid into but not by choice( and in Maine you have no choice and no legal rights to contest it ) . If I die my wife will be taken care of for the rest of her life because I set it up that way. Was it free nope. But I do not have to answer to welfare or the state for anything. I own the home I live in now and we just bought a new we will be moving to in the next couple weeks.

In short I am not just talking out my rear I worked hard to be able to INSURE my life. Don't tell me you NEED the gooberment to or any body else to do it for you. The only reason not to do for yourself is YOU.

Not that I am a church going man but even the bible written so long ago knew the truth "give a man a fish feed him for a day teach a man to fish feed him for a lifetime" the same holds true today.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:10 PM

There needs to be a safety net for everyone so that JUSTSTOPPINBY HAS SOMETHING TO TIDE him/her over until they can get something. But it can't last forever. They must participate.

One of the things that really wipes me up is those people who get disability because they have allowed themselves to become obese. The number of people who get disability because of things that they did to themselves despite numerous warnings from health care, from doctors, even from warnings on the things they ingest. Its one thing to get cancer when you have no way of knowing what caused it. its another thing to feed on the health system because you conintued to smoke despite two heart attacks, and then you got cancer. The system kept paying and paying and paying.

I have the same problem with insurance paying for car accidents when the driver who caused it was tailgating the car in front of them.

The larger group of us should not have to pay for health services for people who consistently do really stupid things that they have been warned about again and again.

Just my opinion, and probalby not a popular one. If you choose to insult me, I probably won't see it since I remove all the insulters I find from my view list.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Is opinionated another word for rude?
On this forum it is. On this forum, when you disagree with someone's opinion, the way to handle it is not to provide an alternative viewpoint that tries to show the fallacies in their argument. No that's too hard. In this forum, the way to handle opinions that you don't agree with is to call the poster insulting and disgusting names.

Everyone has an opinion. Many people have opinions we don't agree with. But to call people names rather than argue sanely with them is as disgusting as it comes.

So yeah... here its the way to go. Its the easy way. Lets go for the easy way. The otehr way requires a little research, a little acceptance of the other person as a real human being, and a little bit of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine