Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 PM

914 posts, read 2,906,447 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My daughter lives in Vermont (Burlington area)and she wants to take a trip to Maine. She would be driving there with a friend, but she's concerned about how long it would take. Does anyone have an idea what the drive time would be? She Mapquested it to Bar Harbor, and it said 7 1/2 hours! Perhaps she should split the trip up, and see southern Maine first, stay overnight there, and then go north. Can you suggest any lovely/quaint towns in southern Maine that would impress a new visitor?

thanks in advance for your help and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:05 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,591,254 times
7.5 hours is not a horrible amount of time to drive. How old is your daughter? That is an easy drive in my book, just stop every 2-3 hours, stretch, etc...

I used to drive that long with my 2 year old to go see my parents every few months, if I was lucky it would take us 7.5 hours. But driving from VA to CT through DC, Maryland, etc... is sometimes horrible and it would take closer to 10 hours.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:11 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,606,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Hey all,

My daughter lives in Vermont (Burlington area)and she wants to take a trip to Maine. She would be driving there with a friend, but she's concerned about how long it would take. Does anyone have an idea what the drive time would be? She Mapquested it to Bar Harbor, and it said 7 1/2 hours! Perhaps she should split the trip up, and see southern Maine first, stay overnight there, and then go north. Can you suggest any lovely/quaint towns in southern Maine that would impress a new visitor?

thanks in advance for your help and advice.
My daughter lives in Burlington as well. It takes her 4 1/2 hours to get to Freeport from Burlington. Three more hours to Bar Harbor seems about right.
She can get off 295 when she enters Maine and take route one up the coast toward Portland. There are a number of nice towns along that route to spend the night. They are close to 295 so she can get back on the highway the next day and zip up to Bar Harbor.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:26 AM

19,963 posts, read 30,084,266 times
If she gets an early start, and wants to see some scenic areas of maine, I'd suggest she can stop a few places in southern maine, thats fairly close to the interstate- york- take a ride to york beach, go up rte one to wells beach, kennebunkport is a beautiful town- take a short drive to kennebunk beach- Old orchard beach is a pretty area in the fall-(not so crazy with tourists)
portland is maine's most populous city- a drive to portland headlight-
depending on how much time she has spent, may depend on where she spends the overnight- hotels are off just about every exit.

Bar Harbor is a pretty area,- i'd allow enough time to enjoy it

Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 AM

71 posts, read 173,025 times
It takes me about 10 hours to drive from Brewer ME to Ogdensburg NY. 7.5 hours in a car is nothing if you have good music and nice scenery

Old 08-31-2010, 06:11 AM

23,402 posts, read 17,077,039 times
Default Burlington to St J to Bangor rt 2

Drove from West Barnett to St J to Bangor on rt 2 a few times.
Pick up the interstate connector off 91 to bypass some of rt 2.
You can wiggle around from rt 2 to 95 as you close in on Bangor and 395 to alternate rt1 or just wind around on rt 2 to Bangor.

Don't recall the time but think it was less than 7hrs. May be shorter wways to go but this is a pleasant drive with scenery.

I love this route as it goes through some very scenic areas and along the Andoscoggin and some beautiful birch forests.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:23 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,804,912 times
I drove twice from northern Vt to Bar Harbor and it took about 7 hours but I was not in a hurry so I did alot of stops. Going Rt 2 is the most direct route but being a two lane it's slow driving at times. Kinda funny but going the interstate route, like going to Portland then up I95 is alot of extra miles but probably isn't much longer timewise than the Rt 2 route.

Many years I traveled from the MRV in Vermont(35 miles SE of Btown) to Cumberland, Me. The interstate route was 240 miles but the most direct route, Rt 302, was 167 miles. The Rt 302 route took about 5 hours but the longer interstate route took 4 hours. You make up alot of time going 70mph unemcumbered versus a 2 lane. If your not in a hurry, the 2 lane route is more scenic and interesting.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:32 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,865,723 times
My advice for driving through Maine is stop often and enjoy the scenery, towns and nature. Oh; and spend money.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:12 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,482,461 times
especially in Washington county!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine