Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:30 AM

740 posts, read 1,882,291 times

Advertisements

I have an Ariens from the early 70's. I rebuilt it when I bought in in 97 and it has been running strong ever since. There are no plastic parts like on the newer models. On another note I bought a plow truck for $1100 dollars last fall and prefer clearing snow from the comfort of a cab anyday. Still use the snowblower for the walkways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 01:08 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
LL Bean sells them in their fishing department for ice fishing. They're about$5.00 a pair.
I bought a pair from Bean, and they work great.

The kind I got have little dull spikes on them (as opposed to the kind that look like they have wire spirally wrapped around rubber "X's").

But one word of caution: the first couple of years they worked great (I used them to go for long walks most every winter day).

But then what must have happened is the rubber knobs on the bottom must have worn low, because they became incredibly slippery to wear on tile and linoleum floors.

It was ironic that after getting me over a half mile of icy sidewalks on the way to the store, that as soon as I entered the supermarket I nearly fell on my keyster.

I had to do my shopping that day holding on to the cart like a walker most of the time.

Time for a new pair this winter!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:52 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Long ago I bought a set of tire studs and mounted them into the tread of my boots.

The last few years I have been installing 3/8" wood screws with hex heads into my boot treads. Five on the heel and six on the ball, seems to work fine.

Gotta stay off ceramic tile floors with those boots though.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:13 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Long ago I bought a set of tire studs and mounted them into the tread of my boots.

The last few years I have been installing 3/8" wood screws with hex heads into my boot treads. Five on the heel and six on the ball, seems to work fine.

Gotta stay off ceramic tile floors with those boots though.
That works. You can also drive the hex head screws in to the knobbed tires of a motorcycle or ATV to make pretty good ice tires on the cheap!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:24 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
That works. You can also drive the hex head screws in to the knobbed tires of a motorcycle or ATV to make pretty good ice tires on the cheap!
But they have got to be little bitty screws. One time I could not find any screws shorter than 1/2". They came up through and hurt my feet.

3/8" work fine.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:14 AM

278 posts, read 656,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey cricket View Post
routine maintenance always helps no matter if its a mtd or a honda
I can understand the need for changing the oil, spark plug, air filter, and running the gas dry in the off season.

What I don't understand is an auger belt system that has just two set holes for the tensioner pulley. Once the belt has stretched beyond a limited point, it must be changed. In order to change the belt, the entire machine needs to be split in half. I have a pretty good idea of how to wrench on equipment, but for this process I use a dealer. I've had to change the belt twice (every other season). An expensive job. I called the manufacturer and was told "you have really wet heavy snow on the east coast".

On my machine, the starter was installed so loosely that in one season I needed to replace the starter and flywheel. Now the starter holes are stripped in the block so I do not use the starter at all, I pull start it. The machine lives in my attached garage so it never gets cold enough that I can't pull start it. But it irritates me.

I have spent enough $$$ on this relatively new Ariens to have purchased another one by now. This is on a short suburban driveway by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine