Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 05:52 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,441,846 times

Advertisements

[quote=Evan_Lanctot;16027768]

I myself am an insulin-dependent diabetic and can't do hard physical of labor any more .

like you iam a border line diabetic but i can control it with my basic diet and not have to take the insulin yet..i retired from one job and got another job basically going on another website that deals with a diff security professinals and law enforcement types that are looking jobs that retire and looking for part time work ..

the problem with a lot of the areas there is no jobs that will take a person in a age of 45 and older out here in Ca it got so bad for us older people looking for a work ..

as with the CCC type work programs you have to work with the people up to a retirement age and give people a chance to do basic work details like in a office or kitchen or cleanering etc..but least you are working
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 05:34 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned or touched, but i have a real problems with the phrase "there are no jobs"
Economies go in cycles, and yes, at times, the supply for jobs (particularly specialized jobs/careers) are lower than the demand, but my god folks, we all have/had grandparents/great grandparents that went thru the depression, could barely feed thier (often many) kids-hand me downs were a way of life, and an occassional "treat" was an ice-cream or maybe a movie-

Millions of folks waited in lines for days to get ANY paying job at all just to feed thier family.

Jobs are out there-yes, many may not be 15-20.00 an hour jobs- but most entry level jobs are "foot in the door" jobs, if you are productive, reliable and professional, you WILL advance
Most Mcdonald managers/owners have worked thier way up- I've witnessed personally- 100 of entry level jobs leading to decent paying careers.
We all complain about the work ethics of "kids" today or of poor customer service- most are in entry level jobs- so again, if someone is ambitious, they will stand out.

Just in the past 6 months, I've had 5 guys and one woman in town "market" for either cleaning, or yard clean up, painting etc- I hired one fella for a small job, in his small brochure he mentioned "free estimates" and the first hours work is free (minimal 4 hrs )
first of all, he looked professional, didnt have 6 earrings in his face- he stated he lost a very good job, months ago, and "didnt know what to do" so, he's making his own path
he stated he is now "backed up" for 3 months (and has plowing,shoveling jobs/roof clearing)work-he even makes food deliveries for some elderly folks, but they like him and pay him well

Another fella in town, went door to door to give an estimate on mowing the lawn,(my lawn) and said, if he hires me for over 5 jobs, again the first one is free.
I found this delightful, i threw my back out a while ago, and i called him-
any good salesman/woman not only knows they are selling a service, but selling themselves.
and once they sell themselves- i believe they got it made

I also got a small local advertising brochure the other day, abouta local small engine repair, and FREE pick-up and delivery back to the house
what a great idea- many folks dont have a truck- but have a snowmobile/atv

I still believe in the american dream- you reap what you sow- you may have to be a bit more creative, but opportunities are still out there.
I started on a lobsterboat and a slaughterhouse, two very tough physical jobs, (and undesirable)
I took a third job as a clean up kid at a supermarket in the meat department-again a very messy and menial job- Then the doors started opening- and even back then "there were no jobs"

If i had a poor defeated attitude- I would still be poor and defeated
Gotta spread it around. AAA, great post!

Old 09-26-2010, 06:38 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Gotta spread it around. AAA, great post!
Definitely.

When jobs have been hard to come by and I didn't have enough, I even "worked for food", literally. Not by standing around, holding a sign and hoping people would give me money, but by going into restaurants and asking if there was work I could do in exchange for a meal. There was one time when I worked myself into a steady job that way.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:27 AM

325 posts, read 705,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I used to know a woman who was insulin dependent, I helped her start a restaurant. She worked from 5AM to Midnight, 6 days a week. We never discussed it, so I guess my question is, are there different levels of dependency? She seemed to act as though it were just an inconvenience. I'm curious because I don't really know much about it.
I guess it depends how long you have had it. Me, I've had it for 20 years. I take care of myself, but having the disease this long has started to wear on me. I need 8 hours of sleep, I could never do that kind of schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine