Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times

Advertisements

With over 2000 miles of coastline in Maine there are scores of places that repair and build boats. Get copies of good boating magazines and I bet they have classified ads in them for help. After he gets the job you could decide what community you would like to live in within a fair distance from the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 04:31 PM

29 posts, read 35,055 times
washington has better weather (milder) rains more than anything people are decent there maine you'd be stepping over a five dollar bill to pick up a dollar my opinion

Old 09-15-2010, 05:36 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
asilas [Amber]-

Welcome.

We lived in Bremerton for 4 years.

It seemed very nice, we very nearly decided to retire there. But I was not able to find the 'perfect' property for us.

Some friends of ours moved to Maine from NC. They came by here today for a visit too, they post here on City Data from time to time, 'Starwalker' is her handle. You may wish to message her and get her point of view on this issue.

Quote:
... I see where people talk about ME being a very expensive place to live, but just from looking at housing prices in several different cities, they don't seem to be bad at all. The amount of house you get there for $200,000 opposed to here is insane! You can hardly get a "cookie cutter" house for that price here. I understand the heating costs typically run high, but, from March-August, we have paid over $1400 in electricity just cooling our house. Would it be much more than that? Our air conditioner never seems to stop, it too HOT!
Everywhere you go, folks will whine about how terrible it is there.

Such is Maine. Our experience has been that Maine does offer very reasonable priced homes.

Heat costs? We go through 3 1/2 cords of wood on average at $150/cord.

Your results may vary.

Quote:
... We would like to live in a small to mid-sized town that our children can run and play and we would all feel safe. Also, we would need to live at least withing a 30 minute driving distance to the ocean.
That is possible.

Our friends that stayed in Washington complain about how much their property taxes have climbed.

I think that you need to make a few trips to Maine and see for yourself.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:46 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asilas29 View Post
Thank you Mark! My DH and I were just talking about the price to live there along with the crime last night. It's looking more and more like Maine is for us!
Maine has a slightly lower unemployment rate than does Washington.

Although New Hampshire has a much lower unemployment rate than does Maine.

But New Hampshire has a much smaller and more developed coast than Maine.

NH does have no income tax and no sales tax, whereas Maine has very high income tax and also has a sales tax. The cost to register a car every year can also be expensive in Maine if the car has a high book value.

The crime rate in Maine and New Hampshire are two of the very lowest in the nation, sometimes Maine's is lower and somtimes New Hampshire and/or Vermont is lower. But all are consistently the top three safest states according to the statistics.

Here's a link to July's unemployment rate in all states:
Unemployment Rates for States

Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asilas29 View Post
Bad verbage! I was actually referring to the summers though. I should have specified. The summers are relentless here. He's at a point that freezing in the winter would be better than putting up w/NC's summers. Guess we have to take the good with the bad!
People who live in the heat want the cold. Be careful what you wish for!! Maine winters are LONG and quite cold. Yes they are tolerable for the most of us but construction workers, boat yards workers, and anyone else who has to work out doors will tell you it is not pleasant here from mid November through March. Yes you tend to get used to the cold but it makes for long days and tired bodies!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:19 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,312 times
Amber, I agree with the heat thing, here in the Piedmont of NC we had 60 days of record heat this summer. At least I was in Maine some of it. I am retired, have to wait for my wife to do the same. Stupid question, what does DH mean? I think Dear Husband? Good luck, we may have to start a NC expatriat club! Funny how the trend is reversing.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:22 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
Amber, I agree with the heat thing, here in the Piedmont of NC we had 60 days of record heat this summer. At least I was in Mane some of it. I am retired, have to wait for my wife to do the same. Stupid question, what does DH mean? I think Dear Husband? Good luck, we may have to start a NC expatriat club! Funny how the trend is reversing.
DH= Dear Husband, DW= Dear Wife, DP= Dear Partner,FIL= Father in Law, MIL, BIL SIL ...you get the point. BTIRLAL=Bar Tender I Really Like A Lot.....we won't go there!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:28 PM

701 posts, read 1,083,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
People who live in the heat want the cold. Be careful what you wish for!! Maine winters are LONG and quite cold. Yes they are tolerable for the most of us but construction workers, boat yards workers, and anyone else who has to work out doors will tell you it is not pleasant here from mid November through March. Yes you tend to get used to the cold but it makes for long days and tired bodies!
Maybe we just want something different to complain about!

(I know, I know..........be careful what you wish for!)

Good luck in your search Amber (and yes, this NC summer was a hum-dinger!) ooops, why am I saying WAS.........it's still hot!!!!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
... NH does have no income tax and no sales tax, whereas Maine has very high income tax and also has a sales tax. The cost to register a car every year can also be expensive in Maine if the car has a high book value. ...
Is Maine's income tax high?

I had not noticed.

You have to earn a fair amount before you get past the threshold to begin to pay income taxes in Maine.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
DH= Dear Husband, DW= Dear Wife, DP= Dear Partner,FIL= Father in Law, MIL, BIL SIL ...you get the point. BTIRLAL=Bar Tender I Really Like A Lot.....we won't go there!
DH= Dear Husband?
DW=Dear Wife?

I thought they were "Dagnabit Husband" and "Darned Wife"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: