Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:10 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times

Advertisements

In Ellsworth, the property tax bill comes from the city and taxes are paid to the city. I have one in front of me. If you look at a real estate for sale listing, it should include the amount paid for taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 07:55 PM

34 posts, read 104,464 times
Mill rate is only 1/2 the story - property valuation affects the final tax bill just as much. Hence a county with a higher mil rate but less than market valuations will have a lower tax bill than another with a lower mil rate but higher valuations.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:36 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Looks like we may be moving up there sooner than expected! My job may be eliminated very soon. If so, we're planning on sticking it out here until our daughter graduates this summer and then heading to Maine. We still want to build our house near the water, but are thinking about buying a very inexpensive small house inland where it's a bit cheaper. If we just pay cash for something and do the repairs it gives us a chance to really take our time and find the right place. Since my work would be internet based by then (own internet based business I mean) where we land isn't all that important. We'd make enough on the sale of our house - even if we sell for under appraised value - to live on for a good bit of time anyway.

In looking at some of the places - even inland we still want to be in Northern Maine anyway - I was wondering what taxes and insurance would run. Does anyone know of a site that gives you a ballpark figure for each area, by county maybe?

This may be what your looking for.............

Maine Revenue Services: Property Tax - Full Value Tax Rates

click on PDF...........looks like every town/city in Maine is listed.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:10 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Thank you to everyone for the help!!

We're still REALLY wanting to wind up in Eastport ultimately, but the other towns have some decent small inexpensive homes that could work on a temporary basis. Just wondering what we're looking at in taxes / insurance if we decide to buy and live in one of those homes until we find where we want to land for good.

Also, once we do find our land and build our home, what do you suggest we do with the temp home we bought? Is there a market for rentals if we decide to keep it and rent it? Would re-selling it be a better option?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:37 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
Quote:
Thank you to everyone for the help!!

We're still REALLY wanting to wind up in Eastport ultimately, but the other towns have some decent small inexpensive homes that could work on a temporary basis. Just wondering what we're looking at in taxes / insurance if we decide to buy and live in one of those homes until we find where we want to land for good.

Also, once we do find our land and build our home, what do you suggest we do with the temp home we bought? Is there a market for rentals if we decide to keep it and rent it? Would re-selling it be a better option?
Depends on the location where it is?

Also.. FYI you do understand the Maine is mostly made up of townships which have their own property tax rate? County taxes are for unincorporated areas, which are slim at least in the southern part of the state and "most" of those unincorporated areas are in the woods away from civilization. See I said most... not all

I only say this because I dont know your situation. I know in the south county goverment and county taxes are the norm and predominant.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Depends on the location where it is?

Also.. FYI you do understand the Maine is mostly made up of townships which have their own property tax rate? County taxes are for unincorporated areas, which are slim at least in the southern part of the state and "most" of those unincorporated areas are in the woods away from civilization. See I said most... not all

I only say this because I dont know your situation. I know in the south county goverment and county taxes are the norm and predominant.
Well, I don't know all the details I'm sure. But I figured it would be similar to the big cities here. We've got a state tax, and then there is a tax by the county and if you live in city limits there's a tax by the city. It's not property tax per se but figured it would be similar to that type of situation.

I"m just looking for a ballpark figure on what we'll be spending annually on taxes. As long as we're going to be in the high hundreds / lower end of the thousands it's not a problem. But if we're facing $10,000 a year or so in property taxes on a house we buy for $30,000 and have to put another $10,000 to $20,000 into for repairs, it just wouldn't make sense. Florida real estate taxes were so crazy that I'm kind of gun shy about buying in an area I"m not too familiar with now.

It looks like most of the towns we're looking in are in Penobscot County. A few are in Piscataquis and one is in Aroostook. The ones we're leaning more to are all in Penobscot County.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:52 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Every single community in Maine pays a county tax, whether that is a remote Unorganized Township or a medium size incorporated town. They all pay. It is itemized in your tax bill. People tend to call it a town tax, but that is just because the town sends the bill.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:56 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times
Quote:
Thank you Forest!

I did find one county on line last night that I was looking at and the average annual taxes were like $775. We just went up to $336 here in TN, so it's not a massive jump. Where we were in Florida it was tens of thousands a year in the decent areas and the lower priced areas, except the 'ghetto' as I called it, still ran quite a few thousand. As long as we're not looking at anything like that I'm fine.

So, we found places we really like in Milo, Millinocket, Lee, Mount Chase, Lincoln, Monticello, Parkman and Hampden. My leader is in Lee with a couple houses in Millinocket and one in Lincoln following closely. I'm totally in love with the land the house in Mount Chase is on but the house just needs way too much work for us, and that breaks my heart. The one in Lee though is really cute and very reasonably priced. Can't wait to get up this spring to look around at the areas!
Depedns on the place and what you live in. My taxes in bar Harbor are $2400 a year, which some people might find objectionable, but they are less than I pay currently in PA.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Depedns on the place and what you live in. My taxes in bar Harbor are $2400 a year, which some people might find objectionable, but they are less than I pay currently in PA.
That's on the high end of ok for us. I think any higher than that we'd pass. But if it stays under there we'd be good.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
Quote:
Well, I don't know all the details I'm sure. But I figured it would be similar to the big cities here. We've got a state tax, and then there is a tax by the county and if you live in city limits there's a tax by the city. It's not property tax per se but figured it would be similar to that type of situation.

I"m just looking for a ballpark figure on what we'll be spending annually on taxes. As long as we're going to be in the high hundreds / lower end of the thousands it's not a problem. But if we're facing $10,000 a year or so in property taxes on a house we buy for $30,000 and have to put another $10,000 to $20,000 into for repairs, it just wouldn't make sense. Florida real estate taxes were so crazy that I'm kind of gun shy about buying in an area I"m not too familiar with now.

It looks like most of the towns we're looking in are in Penobscot County. A few are in Piscataquis and one is in Aroostook. The ones we're leaning more to are all in Penobscot County.
Dont get confused.. it is NOTHING like how they do it down south..

property tax is set BY the town based on its budget! period.. they call it the mil rate.. they call it the same thing down there.. yes towns and cities pay the county for its services (jails, shariffs dept ect.) but you just pay the town based on its mill rate.. And county governments are nothing up here.. its the towns and cities who basically run the show..

When I lived in va you paid county property tax and then if you moved into a town you paid county tax plus the town tax.. (for the percieved increase in services for living IN the town)

Just look around and decide where you might want to live and then look at that municipalities mil rate.. and for that matter just find some houses you like and look at their inndividual tax.

there is NO local sales tax in maine.. it is one tax.. the same state wide! there is NO local income tax in Maine.. it is one tax state wide.. the only tax that is local is property taxes..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine