Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For whom are you voting?
Eliot Cutler 1 1.92%
Paul LePage 27 51.92%
Libby Mitchell 13 25.00%
Shawn Moody 1 1.92%
Kevin Scott 0 0%
I don't know yet. 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:24 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Has anybody found any cold hard facts to support LePage's claim that he reduced taxes without reducing services when he was mayor of Waterville?
I saw one write-up where school teacher was whining because her school was not allowed to buy new textbooks.

I thought it was interesting since when our youngest was in high school, they had stopped buying textbooks entirely, as textbooks are seen as an outdated mode of instruction. Everything is done via computer now.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:36 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I saw one write-up where school teacher was whining because her school was not allowed to buy new textbooks.

I thought it was interesting since when our youngest was in high school, they had stopped buying textbooks entirely, as textbooks are seen as an outdated mode of instruction. Everything is done via computer now.

Um, no. Schools here still buy textbooks. Yes, they use computers as well, but they most definitely buy textbooks, and it is most definitely expensive to do so. Years ago, many states felt the need to pass laws prohibiting textbook companies from changing their books every year so that the schools had to purchase new books every year. Now it's every 5 years. Imagine that. Chew on this for a minute - they had to pass a law. No, I can't put my hand on a link at this moment, but I have in the past.

The middle school kids have laptops, but K - 5 do not.

Libby said she still believes that the schools should be funded at the 55% level, but then again, I've heard this since when????

It's hard to do with no money, and that's why consolidation came into play. They could no longer hide the fact that the state was going broke and couldn't put its money where its mouth is.

Yet another reason it needs to be tipped on its ear - there's a whole lot of BS going on.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Um, no. Schools here still buy textbooks.
Your SAD may be different from Old Towns. My wife and I both went to the annual open house events as well as attending Parent-Teacher meetings each semester.

So Um, Yes.

They did have examples of old textbooks in a cabinet we were shown, though it was shown to us as an example of an item they were required to have in the classroom, but staying on the shelf and no longer given to students.

Our son was never issued any textbooks, not to read, nor to bring home for homework.

Textbooks today do not leave the class room, I can see where they might once or twice a year leave their shelf; but we were told repeatedly that they are not used in any active role with the students. They stay on the shelf, ideally behind cabinet doors, so at least the doors can be used to hang posters.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:54 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Your SAD may be different from Old Towns. My wife and I both went to the annual open house events as well as attending Parent-Teacher meetings each semester.

So Um, Yes.

They did have examples of old textbooks in a cabinet we were shown, though it was shown to us as an example of an item they were required to have in the classroom, but staying on the shelf and no longer given to students.

Our son was never issued any textbooks, not to read, nor to bring home for homework.

Textbooks today do not leave the class room, I can see where they might once or twice a year leave their shelf; but we were told repeatedly that they are not used in any active role with the students. They stay on the shelf, ideally behind cabinet doors, so at least the doors can be used to hang posters.
K - 8 or High School? There is a difference. K - 8 still get textbooks in many classes (including - as of last year anyway - Old Town) and this is important to note because, as you say, every district is different.

Curriculum and pedagogy seems to change whenever the wind blows, so maybe when your son was in there, they were testing out the use of the internet and/or copying from one book to send home papers exclusively.

It would not surprise me in the slightest. Next year may be different depending on funding. Grants also pay for books and programs.

When we discuss the cost to educate children, we need to make a note of these facts. To do otherwise, would be misinforming the taxpayers, and those taxpayers who don't have kids in school get very angry and question every little expenditure (some admittedly justifiably - others are based on plain ignorance at what drives the cost).

As of the year before last, many schools have been so desperate to save money, that they started copying workbooks and are finally using more free internet sources. That was a good thing IMO - it saves money for the taxpayers.

As far as I'm concerned, a lot of savings can be realized, but in some cases, schools hands are tied when it comes to what they are mandated to teach. Those so-called "unfunded mandates" are indeed funded by town property taxes - not the state and/or feds who mandate them.

I recall a meeting the year before last where a taxpaying citizen stood up and yelled for 20 minutes about how much it costs to send one child to school in our district (he had a stack of notes a half inch thick) and then he went on to rant about how All Saints can do it on so much less and we can't, etc.

When he was finally done blowing steam, he was informed that All Saints was a private school and could do whatever they wanted - period.

They didn't have to worry about funding - the state had nothing to do with it.

"Ohhhh...I didn't realize that."

It is what it is, and so - pardon the previous off-topic moment, but whomever is running for governer needs to address those types of topics for me.

Saying "We intend to cut wasteful spending in our schools." simply doesn't cut the mustard for me (or the teacher who was whining about textbook cuts that Paul Lepage supported).

Old 10-07-2010, 03:39 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
I wish Mitchell felt like she can stand on her own two feet and knock off the nasty attack ads. It speaks loudly of her character.

I'd like a do-over. I can't in good conscious vote for Mitchell or LePage and none of the others stand a chance.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:49 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I wish Mitchell felt like she can stand on her own two feet and knock off the nasty attack ads. It speaks loudly of her character.

I'd like a do-over. I can't in good conscious vote for Mitchell or LePage and none of the others stand a chance.
I may write in Tim Sample

Old 10-07-2010, 06:18 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:

Once again, it comes to a choice of the "lesser of the evils". Perhaps not 'ideal', LePage is closer to what we need. I've come to believe that gov't should be run like a business, and in a 'no nonsense' fashion.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:19 AM

163 posts, read 260,001 times
Quote:

can we just do over the whole thing??? get ride of everyone and start over. If they are like and good then they will get re-elected

Old 10-07-2010, 07:37 AM

Default Could we get Ron White to run here?

Just saw an ad for Ron White

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YupHF9m7gkw

Last edited by Submariner; 10-07-2010 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: humor folks

Old 10-09-2010, 06:19 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Once again, it comes to a choice of the "lesser of the evils".
Lesser evil is still evil.

Quote:
I've come to believe that gov't should be run like a business
How do you mean?

The aim of business is to make a profit. That certainly should NOT be the aim of government.

Quote:
and in a 'no nonsense' fashion.
Judging from the current state of the economy, I'd love it if business would be run in a "no nonsense" fashion. It would be a refreshing change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine