Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For whom are you voting?
Eliot Cutler 1 1.92%
Paul LePage 27 51.92%
Libby Mitchell 13 25.00%
Shawn Moody 1 1.92%
Kevin Scott 0 0%
I don't know yet. 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:18 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Libby Mitchell has a 34 year track record of supproting insane regulation, outrageous taxes, a huge growth in the welfare state and leans as far to the left as any pol you will find in Maine!

As she once again sucks at the public teat, by using clean election monies, confiscated from the hard working citizens of Maine, she has vowed to continue the complete destruction of the fishing, farming and logging industries.
I looked at Mitchell's platform, in the first paragraph it started in about raising taxes. Which stopped me immediately from reading any further.

More bonds to raise taxes is an easy method. It allows you to hold government salaries and to keep all programs in place. So you don't have to get tough on government spending. But it also encourages the problem. It digs the hole deeper.

Making our recession worse, to pass an even bigger problem onto the following governor. Our current problems were not created overnight, they were developed slowly and passed from one group of politicians onto the next, as our debt got worse and as our jobs left.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:34 AM

325 posts, read 705,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Since when is it the governor's job to "create" jobs, and how would you propose that be done? Perhaps you should clarify what you mean by "create" jobs. One should keep in mind, however, that private industry is NOT in the business of creating "jobs", they are in the business of creating *profit* for the owner(s). *This* is the ultimate goal of any private enterprise, from a single self-employed person to a mega-corp. Any interference from the State (increased taxes, minimum wage laws, mandated provision of health insurance) increase risk and reduce profit potential, which are negative factors. If the business cannot make a profit, there is no reason to be in business.
By convincing businesses to do business in the state of Maine. Good luck with that, though.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:02 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revi View Post
I'm voting for Libby Mitchell. Le Page has come out strongly against the tourism industry, which is the biggest industry in the state. He thinks that there is a trade off between jobs and the environment. I think the environment is what makes the jobs happen.
In the debate, when it came to issues like nuclear power, offshore oil drilling, massive clear cutting, Le Page said, "Never say never" to all of the above. He stopped just short of twiddling his fingers, crooning, "Excellent," and calling for Smithers to release the hounds.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,320 times
I am not favoring any of the candidates but I am curious if anyone else worries about Lepage's outbursts? That really really bothers me more than anything else about any of the other candidates. It actually scares me! I would like to have faith that our leader will keep their composure under pressure and uncomfortable situations.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:09 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I am not favoring any of the candidates but I am curious if anyone else worries about Lepage's outbursts? That really really bothers me more than anything else about any of the other candidates. It actually scares me! I would like to have faith that our leader will keep their composure under pressure and uncomfortable situations.
Well, I suppose there're two ways to look at that: On the one hand, he's obviously capable of expressing his opinion without pussyfooting around, but on the other, I can see vendettas and payback blocking any common sense legislation - a sort of "tit for tat" kind of foolishness.

I don't see any particularly good choice either, and I haven't done quite enough research yet to make up my mind. I do think this state needs to be tipped up on its ear. I really would like to see some movement for making it a more business-friendly one, and I don't see that happening with a career politician in office.

Be that as it may, I will vote because regardless of whether or not the outcome is to my liking, I have a vested interest in whether or not my kids will be able to stay here comfortably if they so choose. I'd hate to see them have to leave and come back when they are retired.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:11 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I suppose there are two ways to look at that: On the one hand, he's obviously capable of expressing his opinion without pussyfooting around, but on the other, I can see vendettas and payback blocking any common sense legislation - a sort of "tit for tat" kind of foolishness.

I don't see any particularly good choice either, and I haven't done quite enough research yet to make up my mind. I do think this state needs to be tipped up on its ear. I really would like to see some movement for making it a more business-friendly one, and I don't see that happening with a career politician in office.

Be that as it may, I will vote because regardless of whether or not the outcome is to my liking, I have a vested interest in whether or not my kids will be able to stay here comfortably if they so choose. I'd hate to see them have to leave and come back when they are retired.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:23 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
Has anybody found any cold hard facts to support LePage's claim that he reduced taxes without reducing services when he was mayor of Waterville?

Old 10-04-2010, 12:49 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,236,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Has anybody found any cold hard facts to support LePage's claim that he reduced taxes without reducing services when he was mayor of Waterville?
From all that I have been able to find out.. Waterville was allowed to live off an increase in federal funds and such. Not a long term viability.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:33 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,307 times
Shawn? Shawn, are you here?

I thought the party was over!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:29 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Realistically, the only two candidates with a chance are Mitchell and LePage.

Which means the next governor of Maine will either be Mayor Quimby or Sideshow Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine