Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 PM

146 posts, read 453,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Its not the government's job to educate anyones kid.

I wouldn't even know where to start with this....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 05:01 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
That's part of the problem. Many citizens have forgotten our history. The present Prussian model of public education established by Kaiser Wilhelm to produce good soldiers and passive factory workers is actually a new system in our country.

Our founding Fathers knew the classics of literature, mathematics, astronomy, Greek, Latin, French and other languages. They knew the political systems that preceded our own. They brought the best of those systems into our own Constitution, understanding that our individual rights are granted by God, not some government functionaries. They were taught in small groups by experts in the various fields.

It's a good thing our Founders didn't wait around for the Germans to invent a system. I used to substitute teach from time to time. One class was studying history and predicting the future. They were asked to describe what their school would be like 50 years from now. After they made their predictions I made one of my own. Their school would be a senior citizen apartment complex. Education would no longer be done in rooms with rows of chairs and bells ringing every 45 minutes to tell them to stop learning and go somewhere else.

The kids were astonished. Where would kids go to school? I told them that kids would become experts in several chosen fields and they would learn from proven experts in many fields.

I knew "where to start with this." Get government out of the way.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:06 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Default Consolidation

Well, getting back to consolidation - I was not particularly surprised when I received my property taxes for this year (just this week).

Thanks to a slim margin of voters who actually voted for what is tantamount (IMO) to fear of the unknown (present company NOT included) I get to shell out over $400.00 more for the privilege of having less say in the education of my children. The municipal budget barely moved up.

It'll be interesting to see how my income tax "benefit" will turn out. We shall see I guess.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:28 PM

Our town did a simple analysis and found that we would lose less by voting consolidation down, even with the $44,000 fine for not voting correctly. Then the legislature realized which way the wind was blowing and waived the fines for one year. This November at the polls we can overturn the whole wretched mistake and get back to local control and freedom.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man;
That's part of the problem. Many citizens have forgotten our history. The present Prussian model of public education established by Kaiser Wilhelm to produce good soldiers and passive factory workers is actually a new system in our country.
I said that and I got jumped on for it.

I do agree with what your saying.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:44 AM

Another good citizen who knows our history.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Our town did a simple analysis and found that we would lose less by voting consolidation down, even with the $44,000 fine for not voting correctly. Then the legislature realized which way the wind was blowing and waived the fines for one year. This November at the polls we can overturn the whole wretched mistake and get back to local control and freedom.

Our town was afraid of who we'd be stuck with. Nonetheless, the last I knew, there wasn't a "divorce clause" even if it is struck down, but then again, nothing in terms of information has been consistant (or clear for that matter) with regard to this situation from it's onset. We've gone from having a piece of the non-conforming penalty pie, to nothing (due to the suspension of the penalty fees).

Meanwhile, due to weighted voting, we've lost say (majority rules) and we pay more because we have more kids. Paying more because we have more kids is not what I have a problem with. It's the majority rules facet that irks me.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Another good citizen who knows our history.

With the current arguments on the Education board of this site, I'd have to say there are a lot of people who have forgotten history (or never learned it in the first place) .

Old 07-29-2009, 07:10 AM

In our area kids come to school by boat, snowmobile, ATV, cross country skis, snowshoes and sometimes by float plane. In the junior high there is a survival course that teaches topo map reading, compass skills, how to build a fire in the rain or snow, first aid and how to stay dry and warm year round. These are important skills here and the course complements math and geography skills learned in school with the real world.

The two teachers who developed the course, Kathy McAvoy and Dennis Carr were honored with the annual National Middle School Association Merit Award. Kathy went on to serve as President of the NMSA.

This is an example of the benefit of having local control. Probably many schools would see no benefit for their students from such a course.

Facta, non verba.
Deeds, not words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine