Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 01:14 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the stick on "deer whistles" they used to sell? You stuck them on your bumper and supposedly they made a high pitched noise that only deer coud hear. The idea was that deer were irritated by the noise and would go off in the opposite direction. Do they work??? I have no clue. Are there Moose whistles on the market?? Could be a business oppurtunity here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 01:21 PM

13,626 posts, read 10,027,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Exactly right with deer. If you see a Bull Moose he's usually alone. A cow moose is likely to have a calf with her. They hang around Mom for the better part of a year.
Is there any regulation on killing the Cow Moose at this time of year.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:23 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,463,517 times
Me! I remember them. My FIL stuck a set on my front plate. Not once did I ever hit a deer, nor even a caterpillar. I think they were a scam, or a sham or one of those scam shams?

Last edited by island mermaid; 09-23-2010 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: time to cut down on the NyQuil during the day

Old 09-23-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Is there any regulation on killing the Cow Moose at this time of year.
Yes.... There is actually no general open season on moose in Maine. The permits issued are the results of a lottery. Mainers and non residents pay a fee to be included in the drawing. Odds of winning are somewhere around 70 to 1. The Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Department decide how many moose can be harvested per wildlife management district. They determine whether they want only bulls removed from an area or both bulls and cows. They issue permits based on the the preferences listed by the lottery winner. Some do not want to hunt cows while most are happy to get any kind of permit. If you have "bulls only" checked on your permit application and they pull your name up for a cow permit you lose out.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:39 PM

13,626 posts, read 10,027,837 times
Quote:
Yes.... There is actually no general open season on moose in Maine. The permits issued are the results of a lottery. Mainers and non residents pay a fee to be included in the drawing. Odds of winning are somewhere around 70 to 1. The Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Department decide how many moose can be harvested per wildlife management district. They determine whether they want only bulls removed from an area or both bulls and cows. They issue permits based on the the preferences listed by the lottery winner. Some do not want to hunt cows while most are happy to get any kind of permit. If you have "bulls only" checked on your permit application and they pull your name up for a cow permit you lose out.
This becomes more complex, the more you look at it.
Do you have to be up to a standard, ( shooting wise )?
Sorry about the number of questions, but these things matter.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:44 PM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Default Trying to help you......

Can you say, 'statistics'?

Even with one moose running around Maine there exists the possibility of a moose/car crash. The hunt may barely trim down the chances of a crash occurring locally, but does not eliminate crashes or death. Moose and cars will forever be drawn toward each other like lovesick muskrats in the early spring.

I figure the odds are better that I would crash into that last remaining moose than are my chances of being drawn in the moose lottery after 29 years of trying.

Moose are sacred cows that should be appreciated for what they represent and for how good they taste.

The existence of Maine's moose population along with widespread use of cell phones and texting while driving, will 100% guarantee that the news headlines will broadcast more human carnage. We want to reduce chances of roadside death but have to accept this implies some loss of life is indeed statistically acceptable. Human nature and luck tend to set that threshold even with the best rules and regulations.

Condolences to the family.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:56 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,639 times
Many motorcycle riders use them.

I used to have one on a bike but I have no idea if they really work. Except that I haven't hit a deer yet. So it worked for me.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
This becomes more complex, the more you look at it.
Do you have to be up to a standard, ( shooting wise )?
Sorry about the number of questions, but these things matter.
No there are no shooting tests but you have to be Nine years old to apply......yes I know nine is kind of crazy but that's the law. Around here there are many really good nine year old shooters! We start 'em young!

Old 09-23-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Can you say, 'statistics'?

Even with one moose running around Maine there exists the possibility of a moose/car crash. The hunt may barely trim down the chances of a crash occurring locally, but does not eliminate crashes or death. Moose and cars will forever be drawn toward each other like lovesick muskrats in the early spring.

I figure the odds are better that I would crash into that last remaining moose than are my chances of being drawn in the moose lottery after 29 years of trying.

Moose are sacred cows that should be appreciated for what they represent and for how good they taste.

The existence of Maine's moose population along with widespread use of cell phones and texting while driving, will 100% guarantee that the news headlines will broadcast more human carnage. We want to reduce chances of roadside death but have to accept this implies some loss of life is indeed statistically acceptable. Human nature and luck tend to set that threshold even with the best rules and regulations.

Condolences to the family.
I'll gaurantee that after the moose are shot at from every road they cross for two weeks they may think twice about crossing that road for a while. I know the deer out back disappear shortly after the season opens.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:51 PM

88 posts, read 221,464 times
Quote:
Does anyone remember the stick on "deer whistles" they used to sell? You stuck them on your bumper and supposedly they made a high pitched noise that only deer coud hear. The idea was that deer were irritated by the noise and would go off in the opposite direction. Do they work??? I have no clue. Are there Moose whistles on the market?? Could be a business oppurtunity here??
I used to get a lot of cars in the shop with them that hit deer so I would say they don't work.
Most people do not hit the deer the deer hit them. they stand on the side of the road in the brush and just as you get to them they jump, sometimes in front of the car sometimes in the side. Most people don't even see them until its over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine