U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 10:33 AM

9 posts, read 49,579 times

Advertisements

Another possible Mainer here. My husband and I live in central NY and until recently, wanted to move with our 4-month old son to the Denver,CO area. Hasn't happened yet and we are starting to like the idea of Maine as it is only a day's drive back to the hometown here and our families, yet seems to have the feeling of adventure and exploration we are seeking as well as the low-key small town, back-woods hospitality yet classy city and culture we want to raise our son in. We're trying to plan a trip to the Acadia/Bar Harbor/ Bangor/ Portland area for either this or next fall. Any tips for our trip? Is there a good place for a new family with nowhere to go but up, in Maine? Neither of us is college graduates and we are financially struggling here in central NY, but both of us are hard working and have entrepreneurial spirits. Any leads on an up-and coming area that may be a good place to start from scratch?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 07:22 AM

33,376 posts, read 54,829,384 times
Andysmommy07 - Welcome

Quote:
... we are seeking as well as the low-key small town, back-woods hospitality yet classy city and culture we want to raise our son in.
That can be found here.

Now please do not take my post as insulting, I do not wish to insult you. Okay

One small item though you say:
"low-key small town, back-woods hospitality"
and then you say:
"classy city and culture"

While both of these are found in Maine, they are kind of contradictory.

Small-town in the backwoods, and classy-cultural city are rather opposites. I hope that makes sense.

Quote:
... We're trying to plan a trip to the Acadia/Bar Harbor/ Bangor/ Portland area for either this or next fall. Any tips for our trip?
Enjoy yourself.

Quote:
...Is there a good place for a new family with nowhere to go but up, in Maine?
Yes, absolutely.

Quote:
... Neither of us is college graduates and we are financially struggling here in central NY, but both of us are hard working and have entrepreneurial spirits. Any leads on an up-and coming area that may be a good place to start from scratch?
You sound very much like some of the folks that we have met here.

It is possible to succeed and prosper in Maine!

However different areas of Maine are totally different from each other.

We have cities, we have coastal, hills, flatlands, rivers, and lots of forest.

I went for rural riverfrontage in a forest, a town so small that they are not even incorporated [which gives us much lower taxes]. In our case Bangor is near by, so we do have access to a city.

Good luck

Old 07-03-2007, 08:09 AM

252 posts, read 665,353 times
I would say the Bangor area. Rents/houses for sale are cheaper in eastern Maine than in the southern part of the state. There is plenty to do in the Bangor area. The University of Maine, in Orono, is 12 miles north of Bangor. There you will find cultural activities, educational opportunities (obviously) and sports. Bangor has its own cultural activities - the annual Folk Festival, theaters, etc. Check the job listings in the local newspaper (bangordailynews dot com). If I were to move back to Maine, I would move to Bangor. My family is in that area, it's centrally located, the coast is only an hour away, Portland is two hours away, Boston is four hours away. We love it where we live now (Tennessee) and plan on staying here. But when we retire, we'll be summering in Maine. In the meantime, we'll just have to settle for our vacations in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine