Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 02:34 PM

10 posts, read 19,265 times

Advertisements

Does any body know if there is cheep campers or cabins etc, in the wooded areas of Maine for rent. Like is it common. I lived in WV and there was plenty of places for rent in woods cheep but only advertised locally.
I live on a boat in Maryland and its just to hot.
Even last winter was hot.(kind of)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 05:22 PM

37,281 posts, read 61,039,203 times
Every little town has it's own available stuff.

This past weekend I met a few people who live in old schoolbuses and seem to be fairly happy doing so.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,586,702 times
There are cabins for sale and rent here but you really don't want to try and live in an uninsulated camp or cabin all winter long. Especially if you have no familiarity with the cold. 100 degrees may be uncomfortable but if you sit in the shade, drink fluids, and run a fan you will survive. At 20 below zero you'd better have a good wood stove and plenty of wood you will wake up dead some morning.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Every little town has it's own available stuff.

This past weekend I met a few people who live in old schoolbuses and seem to be fairly happy doing so.

Must have been to the common ground fair!!!!

Old 09-27-2010, 07:27 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,584,402 times
Yes, indeed, but they now allow coffee so they must be more alert.

For the original poster above, there are plenty of ESL courses available in Maine.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Yes, indeed, but they now allow coffee so they must be more alert.
For the original poster above, there are plenty of ESL courses available in Maine.
They will wake up just in time to see the wrath of November!!

Old 09-30-2010, 10:22 PM

414 posts, read 298,688 times
completely off topic here. but as a long time Maine forum lurker, FB, Maineah and NMLM, you guys are great. crack me up every time i read your comments, and always tons of good info. when i am done digging myself out of school debt and can realistically escape the big city, i'll be asking you guys for help/info!
ESL comment was classic btw

Old 10-01-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
There are cabins for sale and rent here but you really don't want to try and live in an uninsulated camp or cabin all winter long. Especially if you have no familiarity with the cold. 100 degrees may be uncomfortable but if you sit in the shade, drink fluids, and run a fan you will survive. At 20 below zero you'd better have a good wood stove and plenty of wood you will wake up dead some morning.
I think that very few folks wake up dead.

Or perhaps that they only do it a limited number of times.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
completely off topic here. but as a long time Maine forum lurker, FB, Maineah and NMLM, you guys are great. crack me up every time i read your comments, and always tons of good info. when i am done digging myself out of school debt and can realistically escape the big city, i'll be asking you guys for help/info!
ESL comment was classic btw
You have cracks?

Try duct tape on the outside of those cracks. Maybe a bit of aloe first to heal the crack, but then duct tape on the outside to hold it all together while it heals.

I would then suggest a bit a of rum on the inside, though many folks around here prefer coffee-flavor brandy internally to care for cracks.

You say that you must do some digging. I suggest that while you dig, schedule for yourself four tips to Maine each year, like quarterly trips. So that you spend enough time in Maine to see each region of Maine, in each season. That may be the best way to figure out where in Maine will truly be the best for you.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:29 PM

414 posts, read 298,688 times
hey FB, not sure why I didn't get an email notification of your reply....

Yeah, I have a couple of cracks in my skull from bashing my head into the wall after being stuck in a packed subway too many times. Eh, I exaggerate, I don't hate the city that much, but I'm ready to move out.

Well I have done some exploring; went to Maine first as a kid on summer vacations to the Southern Coast and Acadia. Then during law school (don't hate me b/c i'm a lawyer) I managed to make it up to Baxter State Park, and ever since then I have been truly obsessed. Been back to climb Katahdin four times.

Also have been to Greenville (took the Golden Road from there to Baxter), Bangor, Houlton, Caribou, Presque Isle and Ft. Kent as well as Medway and Millinocket. I have not been to the western portion of the state near the NH border nor to Washington county.

Granted I've only been up in summer and fall, but I hate heat and am more of a winter person; I went to school in Albany, NY and the wife is from Syracuse (snowiest city over 50k in the country), so we can cope. I spend a decent amount of time in the Adirondacks snowmobiling, it is probably more like Maine winter there...

If I am honest with myself, I know for the sake of employment that Bangor and Portland are the most realistic options for us, but I would love to live somewhere more remote... We did go to Portland for Labor Day last year and had a very nice time, living there and having a place out in the country wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I grew up in a town with less then 5k people and there were 53 kids in my HS class, and I wouldn't mind getting back to a small town way of life...

In March we'll moving to somewhere very cheap (for NYC) so we can throw more money at our debt...

That is the story for now, hopefully I haven't bored you to death...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine