Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 AM

846 posts, read 1,015,131 times

Advertisements

Couldn't have said it better kateg. I also grew up under the tutelage of a man who obtained his life's education on the battlefields of the pacific. These guys are passing at the rate of over 1000 a day. This morning I went on a Patriot Guard mission here in Greensboro, NC (cold on the motorcycle @ 5 am, about 45 here, not as cold as europe in winter 1944 though) where we sent off a planeload on an "Honor Flight" to Washington, DC so they could see their momument. I miss my Dad each and every day.

When I move to Maine, I will continue to give to society in some manner. Life has been pretty good to me, of course I had a hand in any successes I have had. along with a power greater than myself, no luck involved. I try and spread it around in a manner I choose to after Uncle Sugar gets his slice.

I volunteer, financially support, and advocate for causes that improve the human species. I learned that from my parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 08:05 AM

78 posts, read 222,704 times
Default wanted distressed trailer or cabin in isolated wooded area

Uncle Sugar !!!! Just love that Kiwiluver. Well, I can see you're no wimp sir. 5 am on a bike, brrrrr. We did learn some good lessons from our father, didn't we! There don't seem to be a lot of young people around willing to work hard to get what they want. I've read personalities skip a generation. My son is very much like my dad...incredibly responsible. I like to think he also mixed in a little of me. My daughter took a little longer to grow up, relying on a man. Now, she is on her own and very strong. So refreshing to see. Her son, my grandson, at age 24 has inherited a strong work ethic from his father as well. So nice to see.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:58 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,483,742 times
Well, I am a newcomer, and I happen to agree with Maineah, although his humor is often tongue in cheek as someone wrote. Lots of people move to Maine for all the wrong reasons. They like the idea of Maine, but many are not ready for the reality. I am retired, but still wanted to make enough money to pay for health insurance. I was able to find a job fairly easy, but I am the exception, not the rule. My wife on the other hand has been looking for a job all summer, and has had very few interviews, and as yet no offers. The people of Maine for the most part are very hard workers, in fact most hold down more than one job to make ends meet. They get a little irritated at their state government for being dubbed "the welfare state." I think Maineah was saying in his own way....people are welcome in Maine, as long as taxpayers don't have one more mouth to feed. I hear that sentiment quite a lot of times. The more you read Maineah's posts, the more you will appreciate what he is saying. You might find that if you are a hard worker that you have a lot in common with him. I have felt very welcomed in Maine, and have made a lot of good friends over the last 3 or so years. It's great to be here now and see them more often.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:36 AM

846 posts, read 1,015,131 times
I think we all could get behind that sentiment no matter where we live. The job market is tight everywhere. We do live in a free country however where our citizens are allowed to travel within our environs without restraint. Where I live it is the same. Our problem here is not American citizens taking jobs. It is people from elsewhere being allowed to come in and openly take whatever they want without fear of reprisal. I believe the unemployment rate here is double the national average.

There are times when upon reflection I feel almost a sense of gratitude that I have less tomorrows in front of me than the yesterdays I have left behind. The America I grew up in is gone. I can grasp the fact that change is inevitible, dosen't mean I have to like it. The time is past when a person could go out and get a job and provide for his family.

I don't like the way the welfare system is set up as a "hand out" lifestyle, as opposed to a temporary "hand up" to becoming (or returning to) being a responsible, productive member of society. Thing is, there is no easy answer to any of this. I cannot fathom one uprooting and moving to Maine, just to get on welfare. As I do not currently reside there, I depend on y'all for information. If you who live there have seen it, it must occur.

As an aside, I hope nobody took my comments as a slam on Maineah. Not at all, just trying to 'splain my take on stuff 'round here.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:06 PM

10 posts, read 19,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Well, I am a newcomer, and I happen to agree with Maineah, although his humor is often tongue in cheek as someone wrote. Lots of people move to Maine for all the wrong reasons. They like the idea of Maine, but many are not ready for the reality. I am retired, but still wanted to make enough money to pay for health insurance. I was able to find a job fairly easy, but I am the exception, not the rule. My wife on the other hand has been looking for a job all summer, and has had very few interviews, and as yet no offers. The people of Maine for the most part are very hard workers, in fact most hold down more than one job to make ends meet. They get a little irritated at their state government for being dubbed "the welfare state." I think Maineah was saying in his own way....people are welcome in Maine, as long as taxpayers don't have one more mouth to feed. I hear that sentiment quite a lot of times. The more you read Maineah's posts, the more you will appreciate what he is saying. You might find that if you are a hard worker that you have a lot in common with him. I have felt very welcomed in Maine, and have made a lot of good friends over the last 3 or so years. It's great to be here now and see them more often.
I guess I got to say , after readin more and more. That I understand where you are all coming from and I guess I was being a bit thinskined.Mabe that is one of the reasons I wish to be so isolated.I have a habbit of constantly doing all I can to help people and usually end up used, I think its starting to get to me. So when I saw some of the coments I just thought,,,,,,,,,,,,, wrong!
What can I say?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:14 PM

10 posts, read 19,279 times
Oh yea, I honestly didn't think there was welfare anymore. I don't have a TV and don't really read the papers,believe it or not- I don't even have a telephone, haven't had one for 3-4 years, but last I remembered, and that was a long time ago, they put a time limit to getting it, then they stopped it.I guess I had that way off.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:18 AM

123 posts, read 296,182 times
i have a friend like that, he never own TV, cell phone or any modern conveniences. he is in well paid profession, but every now and then just take off for months/years to see the world and always taking odd jobs along the way. he is single have ton money, just the way he wants to live his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by profetarmageddon View Post
Oh yea, I honestly didn't think there was welfare anymore. I don't have a TV and don't really read the papers,believe it or not- I don't even have a telephone, haven't had one for 3-4 years, but last I remembered, and that was a long time ago, they put a time limit to getting it, then they stopped it.I guess I had that way off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: