Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 04:58 PM

43 posts, read 74,334 times

Advertisements

i am 23 single and have a indoor cat and a dog. i usually work call centers because its usually a very reliable industry meaning usually if you can find a call center(or contact center) you usually have a job and these days im willing to move to find work here where i am unemployment is high like almost 14% and you cant even get a job at mcdonalds even with formal education. what hope is there for us who didnt go to college..
i dont know what the weather is in utah but we have 4 seasons and winter is so worth the spring and summer

coming from an area around chicago well not around exactly like 2 hrs west we
dont have very much traffic out by us
i am looking for some things like cost of living (currently researching)
i would like to be in a pretty safe area no guns going off around the corner (been there done that) looking for a place affordable by the mountains(i know none hear i dont think sorry wrote this in note pad so i could copy and paste for the various places im looking at) as long as i have internet and power i own dvds and cds
affordable vets and human doctors

i would love to be in colorado but alot of people from there say that there arent many jobs even though the employment rate is lower is this the case of maine??

here in illinois the air quality isnt that great its not the worst either i do love the fields of corn and wheat.

basicly im looking to find a place where no one knows me and get an impression of the world for myself...
also insects here not so bad we do have ticks fleas tree eating beetles but all are pretty normal sized i went to flordia and had ot by a huge fly swater the ants were huge!!!!
also here we get what we call running of the frogs spring and early summer the roads are filled all you hear is crunch crunch as you drive
im gonna be haunted by frogs pretty soon here
umm what else
oh outdoors nothing here really peaks my interest camping is usually done up in wisconson or at rv/campground kinda place and to me thats not camping so i would like to be able to visit and hike pet friendly trails and stuff like that maybe learn whitewater rafting ive never done that but it would help me make a decision
uhh
local wildlife here we have
possumes racoons deer a few coyote but they are disappearing fast fox chicken hawks owls other hawks rabbits stray cats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 05:31 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
Maine has several call centers. I have no idea how the wages compare with Utah, but our housing and food costs are low compared with other states. Maine has a LOT of fresh water lakes and rivers. We have smaller mountains than Utah, but ours are green.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:35 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,236,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondedroid View Post
i am 23 single and have a indoor cat and a dog. i usually work call centers because its usually a very reliable industry meaning usually if you can find a call center(or contact center) you usually have a job and these days im willing to move to find work here where i am unemployment is high like almost 14% and you cant even get a job at mcdonalds even with formal education. what hope is there for us who didnt go to college..
i dont know what the weather is in utah but we have 4 seasons and winter is so worth the spring and summer

coming from an area around chicago well not around exactly like 2 hrs west we
dont have very much traffic out by us
i am looking for some things like cost of living (currently researching)
i would like to be in a pretty safe area no guns going off around the corner (been there done that) looking for a place affordable by the mountains(i know none hear i dont think sorry wrote this in note pad so i could copy and paste for the various places im looking at) as long as i have internet and power i own dvds and cds

i would love to be in colorado but alot of people from there say that there arent many jobs even though the employment rate is lower is this the case of maine??

here in illinois the air quality isnt that great its not the worst either i do love the fields of corn and wheat.

basicly im looking to find a place where no one knows me and get an impression of the world for myself...
also insects here not so bad we do have ticks fleas tree eating beetles but all are pretty normal sized i went to flordia and had ot by a huge fly swater the ants were huge!!!!
also here we get what we call running of the frogs spring and early summer the roads are filled all you hear is crunch crunch as you drive
umm what else
oh outdoors nothing here really peaks my interest camping is usually done up in wisconson or at rv/campground kinda place and to me thats not camping so i would like to be able to visit and hike pet friendly trails and stuff like that maybe learn whitewater rafting ive never done that but it would help me make a decision
uhh
possumes racoons deer a few coyote but they are disappearing fast fox chicken hawks owls other hawks rabbits stray cats

There are a few call centers here in Maine. There are guns going off, usually hunters. Lots of wild life. You don't need pet friendly trails or dog parks, because there are/is a whole lot of woods. It can be cheap or affordable here. It depends on your lifestyle. Not many jobs though. Get one before you come.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:51 PM

well hunters dont really bother me its the gang wanna bes that bother me and the woods are pet friendly the little bit we have left really isnt.. i believe i read the cost of living in maine is lower than illinois

Old 09-28-2010, 05:52 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
... i am looking for some things like cost of living (currently researching)
Some areas of Maine do offer an extremely low cost-of-living.

To our experience Maine's taxes tend to be much lower than most places wehre we have lived before.

Quote:
... i would like to be in a pretty safe area no guns going off around the corner (been there done that)
Me too

Maine has guns going off, but it is not crime. Here it is target practice, or hunting, or chasing predators away from livestock.

Quote:
... looking for a place affordable by the mountains(i know none hear i dont think sorry wrote this in note pad so i could copy and paste for the various places im looking at)
Maine has a lot of hilly regions. Very few true mountains though, and none of them are of any respectable altitude.

Some Mainers like to think they have mountains, they call folks from away 'flatlanders', even though many flatlanders come from mountainous regions. It is funny. I have never lived anywhere that was as flat as where we are now, here in Maine.

However most of Maine is densely forested. And we have lots of rivers and lakes

Quote:
... as long as i have internet and power i own dvds and cds

All things are relative.

Quote:
... here in illinois the air quality isnt that great its not the worst either i do love the fields of corn and wheat.
We do have very clean air.

Quote:
... basicly im looking to find a place where no one knows me and get an impression of the world for myself ... also insects here not so bad we do have ticks fleas tree eating beetles but all are pretty normal sized i went to flordia and had ot by a huge fly swater the ants were huge!!!!
Maine has no mutant ninja bugs like Florida has.

Quote:
...also here we get what we call running of the frogs spring and early summer the roads are filled all you hear is crunch crunch as you drive
umm what else
uhh
We have eagle here.

Also turkey, deer, moose, beaver and bear.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:52 PM

thank you for the info anything else about maine that i should know

Old 09-28-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
.. i believe i read the cost of living in maine is lower than illinois
There are urban areas in Maine, and tourist areas, where the cost-of-living may be higher.

But most of Maine does not experience that.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:02 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
There was a very wet eagle perched in a dead pine near Forest's place today. I think he looked disgusted. (The eagle, not Forest.)

Old 09-28-2010, 07:24 PM

lol thanks for the information you guys and gals are great

Old 09-28-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There was a very wet eagle perched in a dead pine near Forest's place today. I think he looked disgusted. (The eagle, not Forest.)
I have seen eagles doing the oddest things this year.

This spring I saw an eagle on the ground eating as I was driving by, so I stopped and watched him for a while. He was eating a deer carcass. Later that day I giving Bonnie a lift and as we passed the spot the eagle was still there. So together we sat for a while watching this eagle ripping apart a deer carcass.

Then a month ago, I was doing 45 on Gilman Falls road when an eagle dive-bombed a carcass of roadkill right in front of me. He swooped down from behind me, he hit the carcass not 20 yards in front of my truck, and grabbed it [a dead skunk that was stuck to the pavement]. He got it up into the air just as my truck passed underneath him, part of the skunk dragged across the top of my truck cab.

He could have easily grabbed that skunk when no vehicle was in sight, but instead decided to pace a passing vehicle and grab it right in front the oncoming vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine