Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:17 PM

37,223 posts, read 60,940,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMom76 View Post
Isnt it always the lesser of two evils? If you really believe you can believe everything either canidate has to say, well lets just stop there.

[img]http://www.xaxeres.com/images/cthulhu_for_president.jpg[/img]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 09:34 AM

325 posts, read 702,360 times
Yeah, I'm sorry. I don't like any of them, but LePage seems really vulgar to me.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-01-2010 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: orphaned material removed

Old 10-01-2010, 10:07 AM

37,223 posts, read 60,940,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Lanctot View Post
Yeah, I'm sorry. I don't like any of them, but LePage seems really vulgar to me.
Don't hold back so much.

Keeping your feels bottled up is not good for you.

Tell us how you really feel.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:12 AM

47,850 posts, read 21,874,575 times
Maine is a diverse state; the Maine forum maybe a tad less so. I am a progressive, liberal, conservation minded Democrat....and I feel very much at home in Maine. I previously lived in NH and found that state more "libertarian" and Maine more Clintonian Democrat. I have been told that as you move north and in-land the state is more conservative....that appears to be true.

Obama carried Maine handily and our Republican Senators are considered moderates....altho they have a hard time standing up to the National leadership in support of Mainers. Maine has a long tradition of tolerance and acceptance of diversity....it is one of the things I value about Maine.
I have also lived in Indiana, Alabama, California and Rhode Island.....I feel most comfortably at home in Maine.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:12 AM

325 posts, read 702,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Don't hold back so much.

Keeping your feels bottled up is not good for you.

Tell us how you really feel.

Ha! Well, opinions are like.....uh, never mind

I'm with Elston.....main reason why I don't think LePage is a good fit for Maine's leadership.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:21 AM

701 posts, read 1,077,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Maine is a diverse state; the Maine forum maybe a tad less so. I am a progressive, liberal, conservation minded Democrat....and I feel very much at home in Maine. I previously lived in NH and found that state more "libertarian" and Maine more Clintonian Democrat. I have been told that as you move north and in-land the state is more conservative....that appears to be true.

Obama carried Maine handily and our Republican Senators are considered moderates....altho they have a hard time standing up to the National leadership in support of Mainers. Maine has a long tradition of tolerance and acceptance of diversity....it is one of the things I value about Maine.
I have also lived in Indiana, Alabama, California and Rhode Island.....I feel most comfortably at home in Maine.

I think this forum is pretty diverse, when everyone speaks up.......

Old 10-01-2010, 11:34 AM

6,613 posts, read 13,453,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Lanctot View Post
Ha! Well, opinions are like.....uh, never mind
Belly buttons!

Old 10-01-2010, 03:54 PM

548 posts, read 2,091,551 times
You could get the false impression that Maine is largely right wing, racist, and homophobic because this forum tends to be older and more conservative. Look on face book and myspace, most of the younger Mainers support gay marriage, medical marijuana and marijuana decrim/legalization, the Democratic Party, and President Obama.

Like this:
Maine Vocals, Maine Cannabis Reform, Pro Marijuana Festivals Hempstock, Harvest and Freedom at Freedom Field in Harmony Maine

and this:
Maine DHHS - OMA - Multicultural Resources - Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Resources (http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/oma/MulticulturalResource/gay-resources.html - broken link)

Old 10-01-2010, 04:48 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,563,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
You could get the false impression that Maine is largely right wing, racist, and homophobic because this forum tends to be older and more conservative. Look on face book and myspace, most of the younger Mainers support gay marriage, medical marijuana and marijuana decrim/legalization, the Democratic Party, and President Obama.

Like this:
Maine Vocals, Maine Cannabis Reform, Pro Marijuana Festivals Hempstock, Harvest and Freedom at Freedom Field in Harmony Maine
and this:
Maine DHHS - OMA - Multicultural Resources - Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Resources (http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/oma/MulticulturalResource/gay-resources.html - broken link)
Not even all of the gays in Maine support gay marriage. I have a gay family member who thinks marriage should be between men and women. My wife has some very close gay friends who think the idea of gay marriage is unnecessary. That doesn't mean gays should be discriminated against it just means for procreation of the species in general men marrrying women is still a pretty good idea.
If Maine is so liberal and progressive you would have thought the gay marriage initiative would have passed by 3to2.... instead it lost! Explain that one.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:12 PM

701 posts, read 1,077,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post

Like this:

and this:

Aren't younger people more likely to be liberal? Young adults in Maine are probably like young adults everywhere. I certainly had more liberal ideals when I was younger.....
Hey, remember Bill Clinton playing sax on Arsenio Hall?........Totally cool (I'm showing my age)

Sometimes ideals change as we age.

........and by the way, being more conservative doesn't mean someone is racist or homophobic. Don't try to pigeon hole people. See Maineah's post above for an example...........

Last edited by chaosX5; 10-01-2010 at 07:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine