U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 11:43 AM

448 posts, read 917,227 times

Advertisements

Hello
i'm new here. I'm considering on relocating to mars hill maine i'm wondering if it would be a good move as far as jobs and economy i know the housing is cheap well affordable would i be dropping a bomb on myself with this move whats there to do / jobs / weather / tornadoes?

Last edited by ganto_2010; 10-02-2010 at 12:11 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 05:45 PM

423 posts, read 450,594 times
In the order you asked, Not much/very few/cold and snow/not as many as the midwest. Seriously, it is a beautiful area. Agriculture is the main business so there are very few jobs. There is plenty of stuff to do if you like to hunt and fish, ride ATVs or snow sleds. We live about an hour south of there and love it so far.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:58 PM

6,473 posts, read 7,506,459 times
There are a bunch of large wind turbines for power generation there. Some people complain about sound and light pattern problems but I expect that would only be if you lived close to them. There is another thread that discusses that.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:42 PM

944 posts, read 2,065,747 times
First thing to consider is the weather if you aren't used to an Aroostook County winter. It might be mild with only a half dozen days where you don't want to venture outside. It might be like it was a few years ago with almost 200 inches of snow and by March you wonder if you will go crazy before seeing a green blade of grass. If you enjoy the outdoors, both summer and winter, it's the place to be. Skiing at Big Rock, golf at Mars Hill Country Club, Active ATV clubs and snow sled clubs. As for employment, if you want to be a farm worker, you will find work in a potato processing plant or working for one of the many farmers in the area, but don't expect more than minimum wage for that. There is a potato processing plant in Mars Hill that employs close to 100 people. Huber has a wood processing plant in Easton. Over 100 employed there. Other than that, folks basically travel to Presque Isle or Houlton for employment. Plenty of opportunities in the medical field in PI or Houlton. You will need to work at meeting folks. They will know who you are, but you will need to be the one to reach out for friendship. If cheap housing is your draw, there are way too many hoops to jump through to enjoy your cheap housing. If you want a slower lifestyle, and are willing to work hard to fit in, enjoy all sorts of weather conditions, aren't looking to get rich, it's a great place.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:36 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,850,657 times
There is only one thing to consider: Have you been offered a job there? If not, don't come. It is a VERY poor area and your prospects of finding employment very limited. That's why property is so cheap, there are very few people there making a decent living.

Sorry to be so blunt, but better to hear it right off rather then you find out when you move up and go on welfare.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:15 PM

47 posts, read 108,257 times
I am new to the area, and certainly not an expert, but here's what advice I can offer.

Mars Hill is a cute town. The main industry is agricultural, and there is a Wind Farm there (which can be seen from miles away). It is a very small town, which does have some perks. I am told that there is skiing there but I can't vouch for it as this will be my first Aroostook winter.

If you like an outdoors kind of life, Mars Hill is probably great. I would advise you to find a job first as it is a tight economy. That said, having come here from NYC I am in daily shock as to how low the cost of living is.

Speaking as someone who'se come here "from away" people, in general, are very nice. The winters can be cold, so dress warm. Your woodstove will become a beloved member of the family. Watch out for Moose if you are driving around twilight time.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:29 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,961,584 times
I fully agree with BangorME. Unless you have a job, moving to Mars Hill would be nuts! Northern Maine is beautiful, but there isn't much going on there.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:29 PM

944 posts, read 2,065,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I Northern Maine is beautiful, but there isn't much going on there.
I guess it all depends on what one is looking for...there's not enough time in the day to do all the things I want to do here! And I know of no one who has moved to the County and not found work as long as they don't mind doing a day's work for a day's pay.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:52 PM

6,933 posts, read 4,779,517 times
I'm always amazed at the ignorance (and I truly mean that with no disrespect) when people say that there isn't much going on in northern Maine. I have lived in several urban areas, and I find that there is a good deal to do here in the County, compared to the lower population. I honestly don't know where people get this.
Anyways, Mars Hill does have some jobs, certainly not as many as a bigger city. But it's better off than many small towns in Maine. It's a gorgeous town, right next to the mountain, and lots of rolling fields. It does indeed get cold from Dec. through March. Church and sports are very big in Mars Hill. Especially basketball. Taxes and house prices are low.Good folks.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:59 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,850,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I'm always amazed at the ignorance (and I truly mean that with no disrespect) when people say that there isn't much going on in northern Maine. I have lived in several urban areas, and I find that there is a good deal to do here in the County, compared to the lower population. I honestly don't know where people get this.
Anyways, Mars Hill does have some jobs, certainly not as many as a bigger city. But it's better off than many small towns in Maine. It's a gorgeous town, right next to the mountain, and lots of rolling fields. It does indeed get cold from Dec. through March. Church and sports are very big in Mars Hill. Especially basketball. Taxes and house prices are low.Good folks.
I'm always amazed at the lack of perspective, and the inability to read, by some posters. I didn't say there were NO jobs. I graduated college from UMPI, married a county girl, and have lived and worked in Aroostook County for many years. My last time living there was three years ago.

That being said, I was shocked when we returned to the County six years ago at how it had deteriorated! Houses abandoned and falling down everywhere. Practically no industry. Migrant workers. Abject poverty. The population has decreased, a very high percentage of elderly still remain while the young leave to find jobs. The loss of the base in Limestone, the closing of several plants, and the loss of agricultural jobs have devastated this area.

I have fond memories of the car dealerships in Caribou (where I bought my first three cars), the harvest celebrations (and sales at Zayre), the potato pickers radio show (Dewey DeWitt), the vibrancy, the work ethic. Yes, it was poor, but it was really a neat place to live.

I would retire there tomorrow, but my wife can't stand to go back. The people are still great, but the changes depress her too much. So, I don't advise against living there, but just like anywhere, I don't advise that people move WITHOUT a firm job where they are moving to. That's even more important in the most poor parts of Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine