Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 07:54 PM

47 posts, read 117,098 times

Advertisements

Today was my last straw. Being in the kitchen long enough to make grilled cheese, I became sick, dizzy, and passed out. I was out cold for 4 hours. There is definately smoke escaping from the stove into the kitchen.

My husband is now looking at Harmon Pellet stoves. He likes either the Harmon XX5 or the P68.

Our house is just under 2,000 square feet. We plan to heat with both the stove and an oil furnace, relying primarily on the stove. Does anyone have recommendations or preferences for the above stoves?

The stove that we have in there now is not very efficient at spreading the heat, is that because the stove is just inefficient all around? We purchased one of those little fans to pull the air around, but have not tried that yet due to my allergies. Would a pellet stove be more efficient at spreading heat?

Does anyone know if wood pellets for wood stoves are lower in allergens? I am hesitant to use corn or seed pellets as I have read they attract mice.

If anyone has any articles or can recommend places to go to learn about pellet stoves, we're up for research! A hug and a thank you to everyone who has already offered expertise!

Forest, you are sweet to offer the honey. If we ever do head towards your neck of the woods I'd love to try it! We found a lovely local Amish family willing to sell us honey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 11:58 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
We bought a battery for backup with our pellet stove, just in case. Haven't had to use it yet.
You would find pellets far cleaner and easier to use, I think.
They also make pellet furnaces now, that go in the basement. Most of the major oil companies now sell them. My neighbor has one, and loves it (and he drives truck for an oil company!)

You might try Natalie Bragg in Washburn/Perham. She has Knot 2 Bragg farm, and is an expert on local honey, herbs, etc. She may have honey herself, but she can surely connect you. Or the Cooperative Extension would know.
Ooops! I saw you found the Amish........I was thinking of them as well.

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...et-stoves.html This is a link for a discussion about Harmon vs. Quadra Fire. Both are popular. We have a Quadra Fire that we really like alot. It is automatic, with a wall mount control panel. That is a GREAT feature. Make sure you get a big enough fan in whatever stove you buy..... that's what blows the hot air around. (Your wood stove probably doesn't have one). And the stove should be located where it will blow the hot air where you want it to go, if possible.
Call the County Stove Shop in Caribou for more info.........they are the real experts around here. I would stick with wood pellets, that's what we use.
SOrry to hear about your passing out incident!

Old 10-10-2010, 05:22 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
One of the new invasive vines we have from Asia is the Japanese Knotweed [Fallopia japonica]. Young stems can be steamed in the spring and taste like rhubarb. It has more resveratrol than grapes do and is the primary commercial source of resveratrol. But it also contains oxalic acid, which is a known cause of various fun things like: rheumatism, arthritis, gout, and kidney stones.

So in short: it is invasive; it tastes bitter and needs a lot of sugar; it will increase your lifespan by roughly 10%; it will cause you unbearable pain through multiple diseases; and it makes honey black with the smell and taste of molasses.

I seem to have lots of it growing here.

I think he meant to type "it will EASE the unbearable pain cause by multiple diseases"

Old 10-10-2010, 07:43 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMom View Post
Today was my last straw. Being in the kitchen long enough to make grilled cheese, I became sick, dizzy, and passed out. I was out cold for 4 hours. There is definately smoke escaping from the stove into the kitchen.

My husband is now looking at Harmon Pellet stoves. He likes either the Harmon XX5 or the P68.

Our house is just under 2,000 square feet. We plan to heat with both the stove and an oil furnace, relying primarily on the stove. Does anyone have recommendations or preferences for the above stoves?

The stove that we have in there now is not very efficient at spreading the heat, is that because the stove is just inefficient all around? We purchased one of those little fans to pull the air around, but have not tried that yet due to my allergies. Would a pellet stove be more efficient at spreading heat?

Does anyone know if wood pellets for wood stoves are lower in allergens? I am hesitant to use corn or seed pellets as I have read they attract mice.

If anyone has any articles or can recommend places to go to learn about pellet stoves, we're up for research! A hug and a thank you to everyone who has already offered expertise!
Harman makes a most excellent line of pellet stoves (as well as wood and coal stoves). They are, however, rather pricey, but if you can afford them they are one of the best. I've been wanting one for years but I still can't afford it.

Pellet stoves *are* more efficient at spreading heat because they incorporate blowers (which are optional on some wood stoves, such as the one you currently own).

Wood pellets are dry. I don't *think* there are any allergens associated with them...but certainly mold or fungus wouldn't be a problem- any condition that would allow those to grow would ruin the pellets.

The XXV stove maxes at 50,000 BTU and is rated for a 1700' sq. house, while the P68 goes to 68,000 BTU and would probably be better for you...especially up in The County. I doubt that you would need to run the oil furnace at all with the P68.

The P68 also has numerous decorative and functional options, including a ceramic log set for a more "wood fire" appearance and a hopper extension that increases the pellet capacity from 76lbs to 136lbs, which makes for less frequent filling.

I don't want to deter you if you want one of these and can afford it, but there are less expensive stoves available if cost is a concern. As well, your smoke problem would be considerably less even if you just got a new woodstove. (I am forced to admit that if I had your problem with the smoke, and had the money for one of these, I would be hard-pressed not to use it as a good excuse to get one.)

Old 10-10-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
I think he meant to type "it will EASE the unbearable pain cause by multiple diseases"
No, *CAUSE* is accurate, due to the negative effects of oxalic acid.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:26 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,184 times
If you are allergic to wood smoke, there is no inside stove that you can use that will not produce some smoke occasionally. You have two choices: Buy one of those outside units that pump hot water into the house, or buy a propane unit that vents into your chimney. I have a 65000 BTU until in my rental house int he living room that easily heats the 1500 sq ft, and then two other smaller units also vented in other places in the house. The produce no smoke and no propane smells.

When I move up I will be using a modern wood stove since it will be cheaper than the propane, but I will keep the propane stove in the garage for when I am too old to haul wood.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:02 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:

Forest, you are sweet to offer the honey. If we ever do head towards your neck of the woods I'd love to try it! We found a lovely local Amish family willing to sell us honey.

Get the Harmon, you won't be sorry. We got one two years ago and love it.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:48 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,184 times
If you do want an inside stove and not just a pellet, I would recommend the Pacific Energy Summit Classic in the pedestal model(Pacific Energy Fireplace Products Ltd. : Home (http://www.pacificenergy.net/product_summit_classic.php - broken link)). Whether you have a dealer local to you I don't know. There is one on the road between Ellsworth and Bangor.

I have nothing against pellet stoves except the pellets. It means that you are totally dependent on being able to get pellets. Right now they are readily available, but what do you do if they are not? With a woodstove, you can always get wood.

Pacific energy EBT models are as big a step above the Vermont Castings stoves as the VC were above the non air tight Franklin stove.

Z

Old 10-10-2010, 05:18 PM

47 posts, read 117,098 times
Maybe I should have called this post home, sick.

I will re-post as a more general discussion about woodstoves, in hopes of having more people share their opinions, insights, and experiences.

A note to the moderator, I'm not exactly a forum savvy sort of person, so please let me know if I'm treading on any protocols.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Maybe I should have called this post home, sick.

I will re-post as a more general discussion about woodstoves, in hopes of having more people share their opinions, insights, and experiences.

A note to the moderator, I'm not exactly a forum savvy sort of person, so please let me know if I'm treading on any protocols.

Thanks
I think you're fine, you started this thread so if you want to morph it into a stove discussion I wouldn't think it would be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine