Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool's Journey View Post
Hi, I don't want to waste my time with tourist traps, so can any of you true Mainers tell me (a newbie to the state), what some of the best sites to see are, and where some of the best places to eat are in the state? I am interested in all areas of Maine, so am not limited to a specific area.
Already been mentioned but Acadia nat park has it all! The 2nd most visited nat park in the United States next to yellstone!

I am "thinking" you want to do non traditional non tourist Maine??

I am thinking of something like the town of Richmond Maine which was home to the largest russian community in the country. 3 russian othordox churches are still there and the town isnt too far off rt 1. And the A1 diner in gardner is a local landmark and offers great food also not far from richmond...

Stuff like that??

Pretty much anywhere on rt 1 along the coast is going to be catered to tourism. And there is a great reason why....its beautifull!!! And still worth seeing! And you can always scoot inland and just pick some small towns to visit and stop and eat at its local eatery..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Gulf Hagas Map 42 in Delorme's Gazeteer. Called the Grand Canyon of Maine. Lots of things to see there. Impressive gorge, Screw Auger Falls,The Hermitage. Just down the road from there is Katahdin Iron Works. An old iron making blast furnace is still there. It's an interesting area. The B-52 crash site on Elephant Mountain near Greenville is interesting too. Most of the plane is still there strewn over a large area. Recently it has become more of a memorial site than just a crash site. All of these places are easily accessible from Greenville.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:52 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Your mention of the reversing falls reminded me of the Old Sow whirlpool off the coast of Eastport. Quoddy Loop -- Tides -- Maine & New Brunswick I didn't get a chance to see it but it must be amazing! When I was speaking to people in the area, they said you shouldn't go near the whirpool unless you are--or your captain is--very experienced with extreme storm conditions on the ocean. Even then it is dangerous.
The Ol' Sow ain't what she used to be. It was bigger, from what I'm told by those that know, before they put the causeways in in the 30's. Deer Island and Campobello used to be closer but when they put those in they starteed drifing away to where they sit now. Now the best place to see old sow is in pictures.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:56 PM

263 posts, read 626,065 times
Non touristic, but beautifully rugged. Down East, Lubeck, Eastport, like going back in time, nice folks, stunning scenery.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:59 PM

No "K" in Lubec. Lubeck is in Germany

Old 10-14-2010, 02:40 PM

428 posts, read 554,036 times
Don't forget the "Shoe Tree" in Hodgdon!

Old 10-14-2010, 03:23 PM

I had forgotten about this website: Maine Tourist Attractions and Oddities Index

A lot of muffler men but not so much in Maine. It's neat just to dub around the site.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:31 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
John Buck's grave in Bucksport has a witches boot stain on it. That's unusual. It's right beside the road.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
Big Bertha at the Delorme Co. in Yarmouth. On the beaten path but definately off-beat. I was talking to one of the nice people in the Maine Info Center right across Rt 1 and she told me 99% of the people who stop in there do not check out the world's biggest globe.

Coos Canyon, beautiful, awesome swimming and definately off the beaten path IMHO.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:54 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Near the Rt 6 junction? I shoulda know'd that.
Yes, at the intersection. I live here and didn't know where it was until we went looking for it. Check Bob's fb page, there's a pic of Steve showing him the pole. There's a house on the north side of Rt 1. The pole with a tiny ball on top is in her yard on the Rt 6 side. There's a sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine