Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 01:17 PM

96 posts, read 373,086 times

Advertisements

Hello, I was wondering if you could tell me if there are any towns in Maine that could somewhat be compared to the city of Asheville North Carolina? Not that I would want Maine to be anything like NC by any means! I'm only curious as to possible simularities in scenery and size. Of course, it would suit me fine to give or a take a bit on the size of either the mountains or size of the city, so..I guess I am just looking for a beautiful very hilly to mountainous city, and if it happened that the beach were'nt too far off, well that would be an added bonus! Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 01:36 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,436,273 times
The only city in Maine that compares to Asheville in size of population is Portland with 64K+ people; every other city is much smaller than Asheville and couldn't really be compared. You would need to go at least 25 miles west to really hit hilly/mountainous terrain. However, Portland is on the water. As far as in-city scenery goes, Portland is much older and more quaint than Asheville. Visit and see if you like it.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:34 PM

846 posts, read 1,009,654 times
Asheville is filled with trustafarians and snowbirds and pseudo hippies who were not even born in that era.Besides Chapel Hill it is home to the fruits and nuts of North Carolina. Most of the populace is retired New Yorkers who summer there and winter in Florida. Property prices are high. That being said, it is a beautiful place. Avery, Cherokee and all places westward are less populate with somewhat saner prices in property.

Traveling HWY 11 from East Millinocket to Eagle Lake in my mind's eye is reminiscent of Western North Carolina outside metropolitan Buncomb County, NC without the aboved referenced denziens. Just my .02 cents

Old 10-18-2010, 06:31 PM

701 posts, read 1,076,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
Asheville is filled with trustafarians and snowbirds and pseudo hippies who were not even born in that era.Besides Chapel Hill it is home to the fruits and nuts of North Carolina. Most of the populace is retired New Yorkers who summer there and winter in Florida. Property prices are high. That being said, it is a beautiful place. Avery, Cherokee and all places westward are less populate with somewhat saner prices in property.

Traveling HWY 11 from East Millinocket to Eagle Lake in my mind's eye is reminiscent of Western North Carolina outside metropolitan Buncomb County, NC without the aboved referenced denziens. Just my .02 cents

Couldn't of said it better myself!

Asheville is a fun place to visit but it's got nothin' on any place in Maine.....

Old 10-20-2010, 04:36 PM

103 posts, read 193,080 times
Chaos, have you been up near Sebago Lake area? Not like Ashville - but it's pretty there and not too far from Portland commute-wise. That's where we stay for vacation each year. We are actually looking in the Poland area - well, me...you know what I mean

Old 10-20-2010, 06:19 PM

701 posts, read 1,076,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellym_40 View Post
Chaos, have you been up near Sebago Lake area? Not like Ashville - but it's pretty there and not too far from Portland commute-wise. That's where we stay for vacation each year. We are actually looking in the Poland area - well, me...you know what I mean
I have not been to this area of Maine (but look forward to doing so!)

When I say Ashville has nothing on Maine, I'm not trying to bash Asheville, Asheville IS beautiful, that's why I like to go there and why soooo many people want to live there. It is REALLY ummm....quirky in places but that's all part of it's charm. But the surrounding areas are much more populated and it's harder to find the land and solitude (affordably) that Maine offers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine