Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:39 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times

Advertisements

Great news for wind farm lovers. Bad news for those who oppose wind power's limited power generating capability and the eyesore they bring to any area they are built. 40 more of those lovely turbines are about to be installed in Lincoln.
The fleecing of the undereducated continues!!
It's OK they'll only be an eyesore for the next 40-50 years.

New Maine wind farm under way in Lincoln | State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 04:46 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
My sister was here from Pennsylvania last week. She called them "lovely and graceful". She said it's too bad we won't be able to see them from our house. The base is in place for the first tower and the goal is to have all 40 up by April next year. One guy bought a camp in Lincoln and wanted to be sure he could see the towers if they get built. That was three years ago.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
My sister was here from Pennsylvania last week. She called them "lovely and graceful". She said it's too bad we won't be able to see them from our house. The base is in place for the first tower and the goal is to have all 40 up by April next year. One guy bought a camp in Lincoln and wanted to be sure he could see the towers if they get built. That was three years ago.
No accounting for taste! I think they are as pretty as a cell tower. Unfortunately they are 5 times the size of a cell tower.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:23 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,639 times

Here are a couple pics I posted before of some near Tracy, CA. Aren't they beautiful? Lots of them out here. Thousands of them all over the state. Most just sit there idle. I never understood that. Other than the maintenance is expensive I guess.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:56 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I should think being able to see them from your property, would lower your property value if you ever want to sell it.

I know I wouldn't buy a house with those things in its viewshed.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
Here are a couple pics I posted before of some near Tracy, CA. Aren't they beautiful? Lots of them out here. Thousands of them all over the state. Most just sit there idle. I never understood that. Other than the maintenance is expensive I guess.
BEAUTIFUL Aren't they!! They really add to the asthetics and serenity of an area. Thanks for the photo.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:43 AM

123 posts, read 297,207 times
if they paint those blades green, with tall pine trees in Maine nobody would notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
I should think being able to see them from your property, would lower your property value if you ever want to sell it.

I know I wouldn't buy a house with those things in its viewshed.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiinuk12 View Post
if they paint those blades green, with tall pine trees in Maine nobody would notice.
If they blend in with the pines how is the wind supposed to get to them to turn them? They have to be in the open or they don't work at all! Plus they're about 300 feet tall. Much taller than any Maine pine tree.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,074 times
When I first saw one "up close and personal" I was amazed and surprised by the size of them..........

I'm not sure how I feel about them, I don't think it's the view I'd want and I hear that they can be noisy

Do they generate much power?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
When I first saw one "up close and personal" I was amazed and surprised by the size of them..........

I'm not sure how I feel about them, I don't think it's the view I'd want and I hear that they can be noisy

Do they generate much power?
They can generate a lot of power....when the wind is blowing...when it isn't I guess you sit in the dark.
There is no practical way to store excess power generated from them when they are producing at full capacity. They naturally produce nothing when there is no wind so they are supplemental at best. A VERY EXPENSIVE supplement for the power they actually produce.
Plus they're butt ugly!
Maine has the potential for an excellent source of unlimited polution free power in it's daily tides. A number of submerged hydro turbines would produce power almost all of the time. They are under water so there is no eyesore and the tides are VERY dependable unlike the wind. Forget the ugly wind farms and put the money into developing tidal power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine