Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

We do have somewhat cold winters, I would usually call them chilly. But honestly it just does not get 'cold cold' here. You need to go further North to find 'cold cold'.
Having lived in both TX and ME (as well as some other places), I can say with some confidence that the difference in climate is considerable.

Going from an area where it is rare to see frozen water outside of an ice-cube maker to an area where sub-zero temperatures are a regular occurrence is likely to feel 'cold cold'...at least until one becomes accustomed to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 11:09 AM

103 posts, read 194,348 times
Just wanted to say welcome. We haven't made the plunge yet, but we have been "planning" for some three years now. We are looking to escape the rat race of the mid Atlantic (NJ) to a lower cost of living. We'll eventually make it up there.

Best wishes to you two!

Old 11-21-2010, 11:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,562 times
I am originally from Massachusetts and I moved North to Lancaster, New Hampshire. It was a totally different way of life there and although being a small town and "close knit" type of place, they are very weary of outsiders and "Flatlanders". I did my best to fit in but they eventually ran me off and I moved to Bethel, Maine right over the border. I have never once regretted my decision to move here. It is a much slower pace of life and the people are nice here. There are plenty of winter activities, hunting, fishing and a great place to raise a family. Keep in mind though...NOTHING is close by. The sidewalks roll up early meaning that stores close by 8pm with the exception of one gas station. Walmart is a good 30 minutes away and the one supermarket is "quaint" but expensive and lacking in megamart variety. All things that we have gotten use to but it takes some adjusting to it. Another thing...jobs are VERY hard to come by in Bethel and throughout Oxford county Maine. There are very affordable houses here to buy and even some foreclosures you could snag at a good price. (Given a few months the house I have been renting will be on the auction block). If the house I am renting gets sold I am going to do my best to find another rental house in Bethel...I like it that much here. I do agree you should try to rent here and see if you can tolerate the way of life here since you are not use to it. You can get a single family house rental for as little as $500 a month plus utilities and a decent sized house for $600-$750 without any problem. Our house is $600 a month plus utilities and we live in Bethel Village just off Main Street and our house even has a huge barn.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:47 PM

10 posts, read 19,375 times
Default Moving to Maine

Just an idea - look into moving to a satellite community outside a larger town. It may not be exactly what you're looking for right off the bat but it would give you a taste of what the area is like while giving a you larger pool of jobs to go after. Then, it'll be easier to play tourist for a bit and find a spot that you do like, as well make connections in the job market in that area. I don't know much about the educational job field but if it's anything like the others in the area, it may be easier to land your dream job if you take a not-so-perfect lower paying one just to prove your work ethic and that you're here for the long-haul.

Originally, I'd recommend that you have a job lined up before you even moved but after reading about someone's disappointing job interview where they were repeatedly asked why they were moving to ME, maybe that isn't realistic. Just be aware that when a good job does get posted, the competition can be fierce. There's a lot of people up here with masters degrees and are answering phones in call centers to pay the bills . . .

Good luck!

Old 11-22-2010, 03:13 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Sometimes a person may have to take a lower-paying job, or bad hours, or distasteful duties even; before the 'right' job comes along.

Just a couple days ago, I got a phone call offering me a job. I was not looking for a new job, but the guy had heard that I had the background he needed. It happens.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:41 PM

47 posts, read 85,884 times
Thanks everyone for responding. The people on all of the New England City Data forums have been great to us, and the people on this Maine board have been tops.

Quote:
look into moving to a satellite community outside a larger town. It may not be exactly what you're looking for right off the bat but it would give you a taste of what the area is like while giving a you larger pool of jobs to go after. Then, it'll be easier to play tourist for a bit and find a spot that you do like, as well make connections in the job market in that area.
Mimseygirl,
We're doing a lot of thinking on this one. My girlfriend is slowly but surely getting her heart set on going to the University of Maine to get her Graduate degree and if that ends up being the case, I imagine we'll find ourselves following your advice.

Quote:
...I moved to Bethel, Maine right over the border. I have never once regretted my decision to move here. It is a much slower pace of life and the people are nice here. There are plenty of winter activities, hunting, fishing and a great place to raise a family. Keep in mind though...NOTHING is close by. The sidewalks roll up early meaning that stores close by 8pm with the exception of one gas station. Walmart is a good 30 minutes away and the one supermarket is "quaint" but expensive and lacking in megamart variety. All things that we have gotten use to but it takes some adjusting to it. Another thing...jobs are VERY hard to come by in Bethel and throughout Oxford county Maine. There are very affordable houses here to buy and even some foreclosures you could snag at a good price. (Given a few months the house I have been renting will be on the auction block). If the house I am renting gets sold I am going to do my best to find another rental house in Bethel...I like it that much here. I do agree you should try to rent here and see if you can tolerate the way of life here since you are not use to it. You can get a single family house rental for as little as $500 a month plus utilities and a decent sized house for $600-$750 without any problem. Our house is $600 a month plus utilities and we live in Bethel Village just off Main Street and our house even has a huge barn.
cherylbileau, I am so glad you posted this. We have been looking at Bethel and absolutely love what we've seen. From you describe, that is exactly what we're looking for. I can't believe what you're telling us about housing prices though. That's what we're paying for a little one bedroom apartment out here!

Quote:
but we have been "planning" for some three years now
We're about three years behind you We just started our planning and are already kind of regretting it. We want to be up north now! Not in two years!

Thanks so much again you all! Best wishes! Have a great Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine