Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 03:38 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,441,838 times

Advertisements

Every time things start looking good for us to move up there something happens. I thought losing my job was perfect. I could find something temporary or start a work from home business. Get the house here fixed and sold and use the money to either buy a cheap house inland for cash or buy the land we want in Eastport and move after our daughter graduates HS. I've been so excited and even started packing things I don't use often.

Well, that's blown. The on line work will take a long time to set up and make enough to keep us going, even with little debt. There are so very few jobs here locally that I'm pretty much going to have to take what I can get and keep that until I can get that on line business going enough to support us. Well, I found a job. I'm going back to law enforcement. It's my local county office, so my commute has gone from 2 hours each way to 5 minutes. Schedule is 12 hour shifts, mids, and worked odd - 3 days on, 4 days off, 3 days on, 2 days off, etc. The good news is I'm vested in 7 years and can retire in 10 with my benefits.

We're still planning on buying up there but we're back to looking in the spring or summer. Our daughter and her fiance decided to move in together so we don't have to wait for her to graduate, but I guess that doesn't matter much now. We can still fix and sell here and still buy something up there. If we get a home we can have a place for vacations and get up there a few times a year I guess. But it's not the same as moving. I'm so not happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 05:04 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,684,940 times
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometime...you just might find ....you get what you need!!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:04 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,254,473 times
I'm going back someday
Come what may
To Maine
Where the folks are fine
And the world is mine
to Maine
Where those fishing boats
With their sails afloat
If I could only see
That familiar sunrise
Through sleepy eyes
How happy I'd be

Old 10-28-2010, 06:22 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,684,940 times
Strange times in Portland,Maine...lobsters dancing on the docks, Switzerland's been weird since they unplugged the clocks!

Old 10-28-2010, 07:55 PM

52 posts, read 85,943 times
Sorry to hear your plan is not going as planned, which is often the way, but it will all work out. Hang in there and if you can only get to Eastport a few times a year at first, it will be better than nothing. That's what we are hoping to do for the next few years, and that will give us time to gradually get everything set up there the way we want it to be. Hopefully you'll find a great place next year to get started on the Eastport part of your life!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:03 PM

846 posts, read 1,021,918 times
Just a speedbump in life. I've always heard, one door clooses, two open. Best of luck in your journey!

Old 10-29-2010, 09:28 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,174,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
Just a speedbump in life. I've always heard, one door clooses, two open. Best of luck in your journey!
Totally agree. Good luck and chin up.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:19 AM

701 posts, read 1,084,068 times
We won't get the chance to try to move up to Maine until next spring/summer........we haven't even had the chance to postpone! So there's a look at the bright side for ya!

Be patient....you'll make it! Good luck!!!!!

Old 10-29-2010, 02:46 PM

103 posts, read 194,510 times
It'll happen if it's meant to be. That's what I keep telling myself

Old 10-29-2010, 07:57 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,441,838 times
Thanks all. I was so ready to go. We've planned this move a couple times now and something always happens to blow it for us. Grrrrr.......

Oh well. Maybe in the meantime the price of land in TN will sky rocket and we can make enough selling the house so we can move and not worry about my retirement.......... yeh, right!

We're postponed. But I'm certainly not giving up. I know that's where I belong. We stumbled, we didn't fall. I'm gonna make it. I"ll be there!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine