Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:06 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,612,584 times

Advertisements

A 5 year old boy was killed in Pownal, Maine this week. He was playing in the hole made by an uprooted tree from last Sunday's storm. His grandfather was working on the top of it to clear it. When the grandfather cut through the top of the tree the large stump sprang back up, the roots crashing back into the hole the boy was playing in. By the time the fire department was able to pull the tree back over it was too late. If this one doesn't bring a tear to your eye nothing will! The daughter had just moved back to Maine from Maryland and her husband is in the Marines stationed in Hawaii. Unbelieveable heart-breaking tragedy.
Tree root tragedy not Maine's first | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 AM

7,487 posts, read 10,456,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Unbelieveable heart-breaking tragedy.
Yes, it certainly is. And 5 years old is much too young.

We never know when our time will come. Living with God in your heart is a good way to always be prepared.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:39 AM

6,624 posts, read 13,493,725 times
My cousin and his wife have been going through something as horrifying though different with one of their children. Nor said it well - you never know when you're time will come.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:06 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,740,921 times
Very sad indeed. Imagine how the grandfather must feel.....

Old 11-16-2010, 12:14 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,772,358 times
Oh my, that is too horrible to even think about. Poor family.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:50 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,149,954 times
Horrific...may the family find peace eventually.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:26 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,612,584 times
There are some who thought I shouldn't have posted this. I disagree. I had no idea an uprooted tree could spring back up into it's hole if you removed most of the weight from the top. This is a valuable lesson for those of us who do this kind of clearing on a regular basis. In fact I plan to cut a couple of uprooted trees soon and I'll let you know if the spring up.....no kids allowed at that one!

Old 11-16-2010, 05:53 PM

973 posts, read 2,372,974 times
Quote:
There are some who thought I shouldn't have posted this. I disagree. I had no idea an uprooted tree could spring back up into it's hole if you removed most of the weight from the top. This is a valuable lesson for those of us who do this kind of clearing on a regular basis. In fact I plan to cut a couple of uprooted trees soon and I'll let you know if the spring up.....no kids allowed at that one!
I worked in the woods during summers when I was a college student, and have seen many blow-downs pop the stump back upright when the trunk is cut off. What a tragedy! Blow-downs that are fresh are the most dangerous.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:03 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,772,358 times
Quote:
I think you absolutely should have posted this story. As tragic as it is, it taught me a lesson I didn't know. I had no idea a fresh large blowdown could do that when the trunk was cut off. I've seen real small ones do it, but never would have guessed one large enough to do this would pop back up.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:30 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,149,954 times
Quote:

Sadly this was not the first tragedy like this - a 4 year old was killed this way sometime in 2005 I believe - I forget where 'tho.

A reminder never hurts IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine