Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 06:24 AM

341 posts, read 639,362 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are looking still for the place to move in Maine to find more information.
I didn't expected that towns in Washington county have very low Superfund Sites (100=best) raiting (Higher is better. Based upon the number and impact of EPA Superfund pollution sites in the county, including spending on the cleanup efforts. )
- about 20. Cities, towns in the other counties are about 98.
What is the problem in the W.C., please?

Thanks.

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2020 at 12:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 07:15 AM

973 posts, read 2,369,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa
I understand about "old boys network"...
What is more "scary" for me is:

superfound sites: Calais: 20 USA 71
Higher is better. Based upon the number and impact of EPA Superfund pollution sites in the county, including spending on the cleanup efforts. Updated:06/10

"The same is for Eastport and many other towns in Washington county.
Trenton from Hancock county for example has 99...

You should carefully look at what is meant by a superfund site. Is it an abandoned chemical manufacturing plant with cyanides and radioactive residue in the ground or a fish processing plant where entrails spilled and leaked through the floor? They both count as superfund sites.

Personally, I haven't found anything in Calais that I'm scared of."

(cut and paste from previous post above...

It's the same answer now as it was back and August when Mensaguy posted the above. Not all Superfund sites are created equal. Sometimes it pays to actually visit an area you are interested in moving to. Sorry if it sounds harsh, but superfund sites are not a big issue in Washington County. A lot of those listed for Aroostook County are from cow manure that some environmentalist feels is dropped too close to a pristine body of water. Not that it's not an issue, but fish entrails and cow dung aren't killing many of us. Throw in a few leaking gas tanks from old filling stations and Maine looks pretty scary.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:53 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,859,313 times
You can always tell people from Washington County. We all have a certain glow about us.

How dat Bob?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:12 AM

6,620 posts, read 13,472,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
You can always tell people from Washington County. We all have a certain glow about us.

How dat Bob?
We make Smurfs jealous. They wish they were neon green too.

My status: Personal experience trumps anything you can read

If you're unwilling to believe what you read here earlier you should come here to gain personal experience. Look around and see what's here for yourself. It should help put your mind at ease.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:51 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,584,402 times
A guy in Meddybemps had some old barrels on his property. They were nearly empty. Somebody complained and called the feds. The feds evicted the guy and built a chain link fence around his property with barbed wire atop the fence. It looks like a prison. They moved some office trailers in there and last time I was by the site the trailers were still there. It is a designated superfund site. It is a huge boondoggle and a waste of taxpayer money.

The alternative would have been to take the barrels away for proper disposal.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:03 AM

Actually, he had quite a lot more than a few barrels. He was (and still is I believe) in a contract with Old Loring AFB. They send him tires lately but before they had electric transformers and just about anything else the AF didn't want to stick in their backyard. We used to go up getting parts off the junk cars back when it was down on the corner.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:35 PM

124 posts, read 279,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Actually, he had quite a lot more than a few barrels. He was (and still is I believe) in a contract with Old Loring AFB. They send him tires lately but before they had electric transformers and just about anything else the AF didn't want to stick in their backyard. We used to go up getting parts off the junk cars back when it was down on the corner.
I've got about 12 tires in my backyard from where we grow potatoes in raised beds, maybe I'll end up a superfund site. And all those buckets from the tomatoes as well. Oh well!

Old 12-03-2010, 04:17 AM

He had a few more than a dozen. LOL. from what I understand he was caught between a rock and a hard place. Every semitruck of tires and crap that came down from Loring he got fined by the EPA. If he stopped taking them then the EPA wouldn't fine him but another section of gov't would go after him for breach of contract. Must be scores of old R/R box cars there chock-a-block full. At least they made a good screening fence.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:30 AM

341 posts, read 639,362 times
Thank you very much for the answers but I am not sure if this is a true.
Just one example:
"Bucksport, ME Health Index

Air quality in Bucksport, ME is 69 on a scale to 100 (higher is better). This is based on ozone alert days and number of pollutants in the air, as reported by the EPA.

Water quality in Bucksport, ME is 60 on a scale to 100 (higher is better). The EPA has a complex method of measuring watershed quality using 15 indicators.

Superfund index is 99 on a scale to 100 (higher is better). This is upon the number and impact of EPA Superfund pollution sites in the county, including spending on the cleanup efforts."

And they have the cows too and not just them...

Old 12-03-2010, 08:00 AM

973 posts, read 2,369,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa View Post
Thank you very much for the answers but I am not sure if this is a true.
Just one example:
"Bucksport, ME Health Index

Air quality in Bucksport, ME is 69 on a scale to 100 (higher is better). This is based on ozone alert days and number of pollutants in the air, as reported by the EPA.

Water quality in Bucksport, ME is 60 on a scale to 100 (higher is better). The EPA has a complex method of measuring watershed quality using 15 indicators.

Superfund index is 99 on a scale to 100 (higher is better). This is upon the number and impact of EPA Superfund pollution sites in the county, including spending on the cleanup efforts."

And they have the cows too and not just them...
Step away from the keyboard and actually visit these places that are so scary to you. A few years ago Presque Isle was going to lose some federal money because it had failed several EPA emission levels for air quality. Turns out that when the sun came out and dried up the sand that had been put down on the roads, and log trucks passed through town, it stirred up some dust. The monitor device that was checking air quality for the EPA was located just above street level downtown. The solution was the town needed to use their street sweeper to sweep up any sand that had been put down during a storm. Looked quite foolish to the local folks, but that was how Presque Isle got off the Gov't boogie list for poor air quality. Gov't statistics are probably not the only thing you should use to rate a community. Go visit the community if you want to find the truth. And I'll bet there aren't many cows in Bucksport! I'd be surprised if they had one dairy farmer there. OK, I'm wrong if they do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine