Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:12 PM

82 posts, read 274,054 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knows the LOCATION of the FIRST bluegrass festival in maine, i have read it was started by fred pike. I have also read he was involved with the salty dog festival in maine, whether or not that was the first i dont know. i have not found out where that was held either, my family and i spent time with fred when i was a young child, i know he has passed away but now that i am looking to move to maine i would like to find out where he started the first festival. Thanks for any info, i would also like to find his songs when he was with the pine hill ranchers, i have had no luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 04:18 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
Just Google him. Lots of info.

Fred Pike MP3 Downloads - Fred Pike Music Downloads - Fred Pike Music Videos - Fred Pike Pictures - MP3.com

Old 08-25-2008, 06:20 PM

I have tried that, there are only a few small refrences here and there, none of them mention what i am looking for, what i need is first hand knowledge.That link at mp3 shows nothing at all when i go there.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:14 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,454 times
First bluegrass festival....1976. Location, Waterville, Me.

Google Fred Pike, and its the THIRD result on the page that comes up. I cannot post a link as its a site where you can buy something.
Not too difficult to find.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:49 PM

I am aware of that page, i read it again and i cant find on that page where it says waterville anywhere. I appreciate the info, i have had many synchronicities appear since i started looking for more info on fred, if i can only find some of his songs when he was with the pine hill ranchers that would probably finalize my move north.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:01 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,454 times
Maybe you should contact the Maine Bluegrass Association?

Old 10-19-2008, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,098 times
To answer the question if Fred Pike ran the first bluegrass festival in the state of ME, the answer is no. To my knowledge the person to run the first bluegrass festival was Jimmy Cox from Topsom,ME. Fred started the second one and promoted bluegrass from there on until his death. This I know because I've traveled and played with Fred on and off over the years. I'm also his nephew. Alot of the facts they have on his life history are not totally correct. His son and I are working to slowly correct some of these errors. I am also a former member of The Pike Brothers and the Pine Hill Ranchers. I am Earl Pike's son.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 5,651 times
Hey Gordie, Came across this blog on your Uncle Fred. Are you all writing a book? I'll take a copy! I also read a blog on bluegrassworks where some guy with username hee haw is looking to buy a copy of the Pine Hill Ranchers album. It was titled "To Warm and Comfort You" if I remember correctly. Didn't know if your family have copies to sell. I still have mine! I talked to Dawn quite some time back when I was in CT. I'm in South Carolina now. Hope you and all the family are well, tell them hello for me!

Old 04-28-2009, 12:14 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,868 times
You have bluegrass music in Maine. lol...for some reason that strikes me as funny. Just kidding.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 PM

17 posts, read 75,123 times
that guy is me i'm still trying to find that album, hopefully recent contact will pan out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine