Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the plans and my proposals?
I hope something like this gets built over in my lifetime 8 47.06%
I like the idea , but its to big 0 0%
Never will happen in my lifetime 9 52.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:49 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Why is someone from Jersey and has visited only twice interested in changing Maine?
LOL , i like Trains , i like the Northeast.....i like to see the network expand as much as possible. The Network down here is ever so increasing , with multiple projects about to start....and other stuff like Upgrades. So over the past few months ive been going to every state (on Google maps) in the Northeast and mapping all the planned and proposed and throwing in the Rail communities Fantasy ideas.....Maine is the last state to be mapped by me.

Northeast / Mid - Atlantic 2040-2050- Rail Map for SSC / SSP /CD - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Just for grins, do you know how much it costs to rebuild a rail line per mile as opposed to building new?
Varies state to state , county to county , I do know if the state DOT or Rail agency owns the ROW everything is cheaper. If they don't its 1-2x more expensive for a new line. But there are only 14 completely new lines in the Northeast that are planned / Proposed. Unions also seem to factor into the mix , they jack up the cost , but form what my Mass Friend told me there not that powerful in Maine. (thankgod) The Cost is also higher to build or restore in Urban and Dense suburban as opposed to Rural areas.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
I do enjoy researching. Gives mne something to do on a Friday. By this and a few other sites betweem $900,000 and 1.5 milliion per mile. Not counting rolling stock, maintenance etc.

Local News | Report: $37 million option for Eastside train | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its doable , it would be Diesel making it cheaper. As for thin population , Finland and Norway have lines serving the Arctic region. The only thing your state needs to do is upgrade the tracks , signals , and stations....which is not that expensive. Maine needs to dump the large bulky Amtrak trains and go with the smaller fuel saving DMU trains. Amtrak actually is pushing for this , but the states don't want to spend the $$$ to switch even though it can save them a ton of $$$ in operating costs. Maine will one day in the not to distant future become a part of Northeastern Megapolis , so its best to prepare for the more congested roads now will cheaper Rail and Streetcars then later when it will be more costly.
Maine is quite a ways from becoming part of the Bos-Wash corridor. Until gas gets prohibitively expensive, rail is not viable here.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:56 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I do enjoy researching. Gives mne something to do on a Friday. By this and a few other sites betweem $900,000 and 1.5 milliion per mile. Not counting rolling stock, maintenance etc.

Local News | Report: $37 million option for Eastside train | Seattle Times Newspaper

Oopsie. That's not in my *share of the taxes* budget at this time. I've got a roof to replace.

It still would be nice, but I think Maine has bigger fish to fry at the moment - mainly making itself more hospitable to businesses who may want to toss a few jobs (other than McJobs) our way. Preferably ones that will stick around for a while.

I don't see a lot of risk/reward in terms of long run economy boosting/job creation in doing this. Short-term yes, but I think Maine needs to look more long-range.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:36 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Why is someone from Jersey and has visited only twice interested in changing Maine?
Good point.

When they fix New Jersey, I'll listen.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:57 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
Quote:
Its doable , it would be Diesel making it cheaper. As for thin population , Finland and Norway have lines serving the Arctic region. The only thing your state needs to do is upgrade the tracks , signals , and stations....which is not that expensive. Maine needs to dump the large bulky Amtrak trains and go with the smaller fuel saving DMU trains. Amtrak actually is pushing for this , but the states don't want to spend the $$$ to switch even though it can save them a ton of $$$ in operating costs. Maine will one day in the not to distant future become a part of Northeastern Megapolis , so its best to prepare for the more congested roads now will cheaper Rail and Streetcars then later when it will be more costly.
I will say that at least in my lifetime Maine will not be part of the Bos-Wash megapolis.. fact is maine has decreased in population along with Mass..

But I view trains like many other things.. On a national level mega transportation makes us a stronger and overall a better run nation and would add to our quality of life..

Problem is when it comes down to state and local levels trains are not important in the forseable and financial future.. at least outside of the L.A.'s and NYC's of the country..

Much like a parking garage to private business trains will not have success on a local or state level..

Massive federal funding and involvement is needed and I personaly would like to see it.. but it will have to be after our illustrious government can stop wasting money and actualy start representing US the people...

Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
What goes on in New Jersey, should stay in New Jersey!

Old 12-11-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Good point.

When they fix New Jersey, I'll listen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
What goes on in New Jersey, should stay in New Jersey!
Those are both very immature posting ...my state will never be fixed , and you will never here a New Jerseyite tell you that....there are so many issues down here. That said what does this really have to do with my map , state bashing is for 10 year olds not grown adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I will say that at least in my lifetime Maine will not be part of the Bos-Wash megapolis.. fact is maine has decreased in population along with Mass..

But I view trains like many other things.. On a national level mega transportation makes us a stronger and overall a better run nation and would add to our quality of life..

Problem is when it comes down to state and local levels trains are not important in the forseable and financial future.. at least outside of the L.A.'s and NYC's of the country..

Much like a parking garage to private business trains will not have success on a local or state level..

Massive federal funding and involvement is needed and I personaly would like to see it.. but it will have to be after our illustrious government can stop wasting money and actualy start representing US the people...
Actually looking at the Satilite Images its starting to already happen south of Portland. But its confined to the I-95 / Downeaster Corridor. I do look far into the future , like 40 years into the future by then it should be a solid corridor suburban / Urban sprawl. The 2 maps on the bottom , are pretty accurate except in South Jersey. Maine and Mass and New England as a whole are still growing at least 2% last a checked for each state. Only the Midwestern states are seeing a decrease in population.

Last edited by DarkWolf; 12-11-2010 at 02:52 AM..

Old 12-11-2010, 06:44 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Those are both very immature posting ...my state will never be fixed , and you will never here a New Jerseyite tell you that....there are so many issues down here. That said what does this really have to do with my map , state bashing is for 10 year olds not grown adults.
You want to make changes in Maine. Why are you not taking care of your own state first? Fix what's yours and then maybe some of us will be interested in having you fix what is ours. That's neither immature or state bashing.

You came into a forum for a state where you are only a tourist and have no personal knowledge and told us what we need to do and warned us about how to do it. Unasked for advice is seldom welcome. Mainers are tired of people who know nothing about our ways of life or our state telling us what they want us to do. Before you laugh that off, think about it a few days. Are you going to let us tell you what to do and how to do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine