Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:19 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,886 times

Advertisements

Alison- that reminds me of another..

DO NOT expect any rural Maine store to be open later than 8:00 (9:00 in summer). (ANd actually, in most towns the gas stations, the ones that aren't attached to a store, DO close at 4:00! Not Portland, mind you, but once you get out of Northern Mass/Portland area and into the woods of Maine).

If you are heading into rural Maine, bring stuff with you! Though you may be used to popping over to your local WalMArt within 5 minutes, the nearest one may be an hour or more away when you are in Maine. And don't look at me like I am lying when I tell you how far away the nearest pharmacy/film developing/cell phone store/movie theater/clothing store is, and then ask "Are you sure there's nothing closer thna that?". Umm- yup. Pretty darn sure of that, I am...

Don't show up at a restaurant at 8:50 for dinner when you know they close at 9:00. Thankfully, I no longer work in the food service industry, but let me tell you- this pi$$ed me off more than most anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 10:13 AM

581 posts, read 713,147 times
Be sure to remind visitors to bring extra toilet paper. They don't always have it in stock in the more rural stores since most of us still use corn cobs.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:51 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,327 times
I think the store in Brooklin now stays open til 7 p.m. I know when I was growing up, it closed at 5 and was not open on Sundays.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:38 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Don't alot of Mainers' incomes depend on the tourist industry ...?

And doesn't this "come with the territory" when YOU choose to live where you do?

Why don't y'all have all the papers and billboards advertise about the rampant axe murderers and that the locals can't stand outsiders ... should thin 'em out a bit!

Just some random thoughts after reviewing the airs on this thread!

I have just put on my firesuit!

Old 07-16-2007, 12:50 PM

581 posts, read 713,147 times
It's true - aren't we being a little mean to the goose that lays the golden egg? Tourism is Maine's #1 industry, according to the experts. Maybe if you're good, someday you'll have your very own Holiday Inn!!

Old 07-16-2007, 01:56 PM

68 posts, read 195,241 times
"Tourism is Maine's #1 industry, according to the experts..."

Unfortunatly, it is also Maines downfall. We do not promote industry, for that matter we tend to discourage it. Instead we promote tourism and the minimum wage jobs that come with it. That is why Maine is a poor state.
I live in an area with heavy tourism and look forward to fall.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Bobtex= Don't alot of Mainers' incomes depend on the tourist industry ...?

And doesn't this "come with the territory" when YOU choose to live where you do?

Why don't y'all have all the papers and billboards advertise about the rampant axe murderers and that the locals can't stand outsiders ... should thin 'em out a bit!

Just some random thoughts after reviewing the airs on this thread!

I have just put on my firesuit!

Oh, I don't care if they come here. Not at all. They just don't have to act like a$$es while they are here. If you take offense to anything that has been addressed, I would say that you have failed to understand the old addage "When in Rome....". When I am on vacation, playing tourist myself, I don't stop in the middle of the road to take pictures, I don't stand in the middle of Main Street backing up traffic, and I try my best not to ask stupid questions or make (somewhat derogatory) blanket statements about the local residents, their towns, their houses, or interests. I try to show a respect for the place (and people) that I am visiting and not make a nuisance or pompous a$$ of myself.

And about choosing to live here... I have at least 12 generations of ancestors planted under the ground of this island I live on, and I would never live anywhere else. I did not choose to live here (as an adult decision, I mean), but it is my home, and was the home of all 12 of those generations of my people, and I don't think it is asking too much of visitors to repect it and the people that live on it. We are not here as some kind of cultural display for tourists. My sentiment also applies to pretty much the whole state of Maine. You, as a tourist/guest, need to show some respect for me and my home. And in return, I will be a gracious host/resident and show you more of Maine than any tourbook is going to, and treat you with respect in return. Hell, if I like you enough, I'll probably invite you over for a free lobster dinner with my family or a ride out on my boat.
But if you come here and "$hit on my porch", so to speak, be prepared for me to want you gone....

Old 07-16-2007, 02:47 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Rampant axe murders? Since when?

This discussion reminds me of a line from Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot. One of the characters passes a billboard on the road that reads: KEEP MAINE GREEN. BRING MONEY.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Don't alot of Mainers' incomes depend on the tourist industry ...?
Not trying to pick on you, Bob, but you aren't really saying that because the tourist spend their money here, we should put up with everything they might do, are you? Because that just wouldn't make sense... Kind of like saying that we should be agreeable to everything the gvt (local, state, fed) does because our livelyhoods depend on it as well....

Old 07-16-2007, 03:26 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Not trying to pick on you, Bob, but you aren't really saying that because the tourist spend their money here, we should put up with everything they might do, are you? Because that just wouldn't make sense... Kind of like saying that we should be agreeable to everything the gvt (local, state, fed) does because our livelyhoods depend on it as well....
Deer, I don't think you're picking on me and I can stand on my own 2 feet pretty well and on one while kicking with the other when it warrants!

You know as well as I that with an influx of out of towners there is bound to be a some dummies in the bunch. The whole air of the post didn't sound very nice to me while right down a few threads you'll (meaning the regular Maine posters) be posting at how nice Mainers are ... I can tell you this, it doesn't sound very darn friendly and nice to me!

From an outsiders point this thread sounds(reads) opposite what is regularly posted here! I think you all should drop this thread and let it die as I don't think it is in the spirit of this whole forum, do you? Anyone can ***** and moan but it takes a special person to be nice AND patient even in the teeth of adversity! (Leave for the store 15 minutes earlier just like you do when the weather is bad)!

I don't have anything else to say about it! I'll just shut up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine