Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:03 PM

41 posts, read 140,438 times

Advertisements

I've never visited any of these states, but would like to plan a trip, *maybe* in March. We are wanting to make this visit in part because we'd like to see if any of these places may be a place we would want to live some day.

I understand that every state has it's ups and downs. I'm not concerned with how hard it will be to get a job, because we wouldn't move unless we had landed jobs there anyway. We would be moving within a 20 mile radius of VA outpatient clinics, but this would be for another thread.

In general, we are freedom loving libertarians, late 20s, early 30s.
Would want to have access to outdoor activities all through the year. We live in a small city in Kentucky, and there is NOTHING to do here except eat or do drugs! I'd like to live somewhere I could ride a bicycle around--it's too mountainous here.
Hunting revolts me.
We are atheists. We don't mind that other people are believers, but we don't want it shoved in our faces.
We usually keep to ourselves. No children as of yet, but may be interested in Montessori school if we do have children. I see that Maine and New Hampshire have more montessori school options than vermont.
We like zoos, aquariums, museums, but don't want to live in a big city (probably outskirts, or maybe 30 minutes or so)
I would also want a pool, so not sure about major weather differences in these three states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 02:28 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlog View Post
I've never visited any of these states, but would like to plan a trip, *maybe* in March. We are wanting to make this visit in part because we'd like to see if any of these places may be a place we would want to live some day.

I understand that every state has it's ups and downs. I'm not concerned with how hard it will be to get a job, because we wouldn't move unless we had landed jobs there anyway. We would be moving within a 20 mile radius of VA outpatient clinics, but this would be for another thread.

In general, we are freedom loving libertarians, late 20s, early 30s.
Would want to have access to outdoor activities all through the year. We live in a small city in Kentucky, and there is NOTHING to do here except eat or do drugs! I'd like to live somewhere I could ride a bicycle around--it's too mountainous here.
Hunting revolts me.
We are atheists. We don't mind that other people are believers, but we don't want it shoved in our faces.
We usually keep to ourselves. No children as of yet, but may be interested in Montessori school if we do have children. I see that Maine and New Hampshire have more montessori school options than vermont.
We like zoos, aquariums, museums, but don't want to live in a big city (probably outskirts, or maybe 30 minutes or so)
I would also want a pool, so not sure about major weather differences in these three states.
Vermont loves bicyclists! They even have tours. Not so much around here. Narrow winding roads...

Old 02-11-2012, 06:02 PM

I should probably add that, while I've never visited Oregon, everything I've researched about it seems it would fit me well, except for the weather (drizzly & grey mostly) I can't handle that.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:34 PM

468 posts, read 758,927 times
Quote:
I should probably add that, while I've never visited Oregon, everything I've researched about it seems it would fit me well, except for the weather (drizzly & grey mostly) I can't handle that.
You said in your OP that you are a freedom-loving libertarian. Well, my brother and his family live in Oregon and I can tell you that Oregon is pretty liberal, dominated as it is by the Portland-Salem-Willamette Valley corridor.

You might do okay in the more rural parts of the state, however....though most of that is high desert.

Perhaps the southwestern part of Oregon, towards Medford and Gold Beach, the latter home of Backwoods Home Magazine and its very libertarian publisher, Dave Duffy, might work for you.

Just the same, I like Maine better.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:00 AM

When I think of myself of libertarian I think: Fiscal conservative, but strongly believe in personal freedoms, liberties, etc...(Think Ron Paul, Gary Johnson...I agree on almost every issues from those two). I'm still interested in Oregon. I love how Oregon has the Right-to-die thing going on there. Another place I've never been but appeals highly to me is Boulder, CO. Other than, I'm pretty terrifies of tornadoes and hear they get a lot in that area. Plus, the nearest VA clinic is more around Denver, and I'm not interested in that area. So, I have all of these ideas of where might be a good fit, but in all reality, I have no real clue lol.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:14 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,987 times
Quote:
Hunting revolts me.
Why? Animals eat people when they get the chance.

Heck, I think even some humans would.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Why? Animals eat people when they get the chance.

Heck, I think even some humans would.
lol...Everyone around here hunts "for fun", I compare them to pedophiles luring children with ice cream trucks. I feel like there are only certain circumstances when animals should be killed, and when they are killed it should be done in a quick & humane manner. I'm sure there are hunters out there that do deliver a quick kill, but I don't necessarily want it in my face. Us humans sometimes forget that we are animals too, I think. I respect wildlife. After all, it is humans who come in and tear down their homes & trees & such, driving them into the roads and our yards.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:26 PM

414 posts, read 303,420 times
Quote:
lol...Everyone around here hunts "for fun", I compare them to pedophiles luring children with ice cream trucks. I feel like there are only certain circumstances when animals should be killed, and when they are killed it should be done in a quick & humane manner. I'm sure there are hunters out there that do deliver a quick kill, but I don't necessarily want it in my face. Us humans sometimes forget that we are animals too, I think. I respect wildlife. After all, it is humans who come in and tear down their homes & trees & such, driving them into the roads and our yards.
you may like all those states. vermont is libertarian in some respects (literally NO gun control, more or less legal weed). i was just there for a week skiing, seemed very safe and full of nice people.

NH's motto is Live Free or Die, and is def libertarian.

Maine, I can't get a grasp on the politics, but the people are great. Not much gun control, and a live and let live attitude, but can be "liberal" politically. Higher taxes def.

I am libertarian myself, fwiw.

As far as hunting and animals, you will find a whole diff. attitude then the south. New England has by far, the largest animal rescue community in the country. Maine especially. There are regular rescue trips to kill shelters in the south. The people, in general, are among the most compassionate to animals in the country (towards people too). There is a very strong hunting culture, but is with respect for the animals and the land. People who hunt in Northern New England are nit trophy hunters, they hunt to feed their families.

You should visit, as far ethics, freedom and friendliness, Northern New England is as good as it gets.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:10 AM

Great information, THANKS!! I may not be able to visit in March now unless I can get someone else to take care of my pets while I'm gone. It may be later in the year now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
you may like all those states. vermont is libertarian in some respects (literally NO gun control, more or less legal weed). i was just there for a week skiing, seemed very safe and full of nice people.

NH's motto is Live Free or Die, and is def libertarian.

Maine, I can't get a grasp on the politics, but the people are great. Not much gun control, and a live and let live attitude, but can be "liberal" politically. Higher taxes def.

I am libertarian myself, fwiw.

As far as hunting and animals, you will find a whole diff. attitude then the south. New England has by far, the largest animal rescue community in the country. Maine especially. There are regular rescue trips to kill shelters in the south. The people, in general, are among the most compassionate to animals in the country (towards people too). There is a very strong hunting culture, but is with respect for the animals and the land. People who hunt in Northern New England are nit trophy hunters, they hunt to feed their families.

You should visit, as far ethics, freedom and friendliness, Northern New England is as good as it gets.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:51 AM

13 posts, read 29,735 times
New Hampshire is very possibly one of the most libertarian states in the US. In fact I bet there's some sort of data to prove that lemme check... Yeah according to this link at least How Free Is Your State? The Nation's Most Libertarian States | LegalZoom it's the #1. They take the Live Free or Die motto their state has very seriously. Maine, where I live, is...kind of schizophrenic. You hear the term here a lot "Two Maines" and it's VERY true. The southern little tip of the state pretty much around Portland is Massachusetts Lite and seems to be mostly transplants. Most of the rest of the state outside some college enclaves (like say Orono) or tourist meccas (Bar Harbor) is quite conservative and old-fashioned actually, far more culturally in common with somewhere like the South than the rest of New England I feel. Given your criteria for what you want out of your area, you'd likely only find those things around Portland region. Most of Maine is very VERY rural. So you'd be dealing with...well like we call it "North Boston."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine