Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 PM

6 posts, read 14,904 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I and (1 year old son) are considering a move to Lewiston. We live in PA now but my wife has a very good job offer in LA. We lived in southern Maine for 4 years (Kennebunk, York) but never spent any time in Lewiston. I have the impression that it is a run down sort of town that isn't growing... Is that the case? We are really looking for a fun place to live with a good downtown that is thriving ... or at least headed in that direction. We love living in Maine but we want to be in a good community. We realize its not Portsmouth or the old Port but is the town re-inventing itself? We love being outdoors, exercising, running, hiking, biking, fly fishing and enjoying a good downtown (restaurants, coffee shops, etc.) Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 09:12 PM

22,836 posts, read 28,056,422 times
Lewiston is a once-thriving town that fell on hard times and never recovered. The downtown area is really kind of sad. Lots of empty stores.

Lewiston gets a bad rep. Not all of it undeserved. It certainly isn't one of the nicer towns in Maine. But its nasty reputation is really over-rated. I've been in the "bad" parts of Lewiston, and they don't even compare to the semi-rough neighborhoods in places like Dallas, L.A., Tacoma, or even Boston. There are certainly parts of Lewiston I wouldn't want to live in, but if there's a neighborhood there that's unsafe in the daytime I've never seen it.

My advice: Look before you leap. Come for a visit before comitting, and give yourself the time to look around. If you don't mind a bit of a commute, there are lots of nice communities within driving distance of Lewiston.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:35 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,562,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Lewiston is a once-thriving town that fell on hard times and never recovered. The downtown area is really kind of sad. Lots of empty stores.

Lewiston gets a bad rep. Not all of it undeserved. It certainly isn't one of the nicer towns in Maine. But its nasty reputation is really over-rated. I've been in the "bad" parts of Lewiston, and they don't even compare to the semi-rough neighborhoods in places like Dallas, L.A., Tacoma, or even Boston. There are certainly parts of Lewiston I wouldn't want to live in, but if there's a neighborhood there that's unsafe in the daytime I've never seen it.

My advice: Look before you leap. Come for a visit before comitting, and give yourself the time to look around. If you don't mind a bit of a commute, there are lots of nice communities within driving distance of Lewiston.
I agree with Mark S's assessment.
Personally I would look for a place on the Auburn side of the river if I wanted to be close to the center of the downtown area.
We were last Saturday. They have really made an effort to make that side of town welcoming and pretty during the holiday season. Coming in from 136 we were greeted by beautiful lamp posts all dressed up for Christmas and a number of businesses following suit. It was pleasant and inviting and made that area seem very comfortable. We had a great meal and a few brews at Gritty Mc Duff's brew pub and saw a nice concert on the Bates College campus. Nice night ....nice town!

Old 12-13-2010, 10:00 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,692,255 times
Theres a wealth of information about lewiston on this Forum if you do the research. I have spent a great many posts dispelling rumers about Lewiston and trying to advance the city as I think it has been grossly underestimated for its livability (affordable housing, nice nieghborhoods, decent schools, town spirit, LOW CRIME ect.)

The town is reinventing itself and has had massive investments the last decade. The city is in NO way what it was when I moved here 15 years ago. People think Lewiston Auburn is rundown... well so is Rumford, Augusta, Mexico...... and just about any town I have driven through in Maine that is not supported by tourists... but those towns do not have a large suburban population like Lewiston that give lewiston a liviability factor where you can live in a great neighborhood and your kids can have friends ect. My wife is from Lewiston and she has a TON...TON of friends that all grew up there and went to college and have come back to live and raise a family. There is a lot of school spirit there and I find a lot of people really like it.

However I am a honest person and will not hide the fact that Lewiston has its problems too (as does most of the cities in Maine) most of which in Lewiston are downtown.
There has been some major immigration changes that have caused a lot of debate. And the city still has a large apt sect 8 population.

With that said if your looking for a "thriving" downtown idk if Lewiston would do it. During the day there is a lot of action with people working there and eating out there but at night there isnot a whole lot going on.. minus a few nice restaurants. Not the kind of walkable filled with storefronts shopping kind of downtown..

I think though just because your wife is working in L/A that does not meant you HAVE to live their.. I live in Auburn and I can drive to Portland in 30 min..

If the job is right and moving in of itself is the right thing to do for the job I would not worry so much abour planting roots. You can come here and rent and get familiar with the area before deciding what will work for you..

PS. what kind of work is your wife doing? Things have been real tough around here economically.

Last edited by flycessna; 12-13-2010 at 10:17 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 11:28 AM

6 posts, read 14,904 times
flycessna... she's a doctor, I'm an engineer.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:18 PM

51 posts, read 89,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phmackenzie View Post
So my wife and I and (1 year old son) are considering a move to Lewiston. We live in PA now but my wife has a very good job offer in LA. We lived in southern Maine for 4 years (Kennebunk, York) but never spent any time in Lewiston. I have the impression that it is a run down sort of town that isn't growing... Is that the case? We are really looking for a fun place to live with a good downtown that is thriving ... or at least headed in that direction. We love living in Maine but we want to be in a good community. We realize its not Portsmouth or the old Port but is the town re-inventing itself? We love being outdoors, exercising, running, hiking, biking, fly fishing and enjoying a good downtown (restaurants, coffee shops, etc.) Thanks
For anybody moving to a new place it's a good idea to rent first for at least a year and look around while you're renting.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:04 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,692,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phmackenzie View Post
flycessna... she's a doctor, I'm an engineer.
How did I know that? The Medical field is definately one of the better ones in Maine and around Lewiston.

The only negative aspect I could ever imagine is that the medical field around lewiston/Auburn is of course a lot smaller then in a place like Boston.

If she found herself not happy at this particular hospital or office other options are limited and you might find yourself moving away again.. I only say that because one of my neighbors went through that with his wife..... she was a doctor

I am very familiar with both Lewiston and Auburn and you can DM me anytime with a question.

good luck!

Old 12-14-2010, 04:59 PM

19,957 posts, read 29,996,781 times
I lived in Auburn and loved the area (close to the turnpike exit)

some very very nice neighborhoods in auburn!!!

good luck!

Old 12-19-2010, 08:06 AM

385 posts, read 586,668 times
In my time here, I believe there are nicer areas in Auburn. Heck there is an area where many doctors live - one has a hell of a Christmas Light show (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5I8_akYV7k)

There are many wonderful areas in Auburn, and surrounding areas to find a nice home.

There is an area by my house where there is a open field that just passed into the hands of the Lewiston / Auburn Land Trust (which means it can't be developed), which has some 50-75 acres of wonderful fields for walking in, and enjoying, and some very nice homes.

But this isn't the real issue, it's what is there to do here … not much.

But like any area, it's all in what you make it, and YES L/A area is changing and getting better each year.

Just in the last few years, we've had a dozen or so Chain Restaurants open. I very nice River Walkway. TO many parking garages …

A half dozen or so, not chain restaurants.

A STRONG Chamber (2nd largest in the state and very active)

A 30-60 minute drive to Mountains, and the ocean (which is a great thing to consider)

A few community Theaters

Bates College which has events

A local Jr. Hockey team

The Portland area (30 minute drive) has both a Hockey team and Basketball team.

Heck if your in the area, and would like a tour and other information, call me, or stop by my offices in downtown Auburn, and I'd be happy to talk and show you around.

Karl
DBS-Designs by Skip
144 Main Street
Auburn

Old 12-19-2010, 08:14 AM

19,957 posts, read 29,996,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
In my time here, I believe there are nicer areas in Auburn. Heck there is an area where many doctors live - one has a hell of a Christmas Light show (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5I8_akYV7k)

There are many wonderful areas in Auburn, and surrounding areas to find a nice home.

There is an area by my house where there is a open field that just passed into the hands of the Lewiston / Auburn Land Trust (which means it can't be developed), which has some 50-75 acres of wonderful fields for walking in, and enjoying, and some very nice homes.

But this isn't the real issue, it's what is there to do here … not much.

But like any area, it's all in what you make it, and YES L/A area is changing and getting better each year.

Just in the last few years, we've had a dozen or so Chain Restaurants open. I very nice River Walkway. TO many parking garages …

A half dozen or so, not chain restaurants.

A STRONG Chamber (2nd largest in the state and very active)

A 30-60 minute drive to Mountains, and the ocean (which is a great thing to consider)

A few community Theaters

Bates College which has events

A local Jr. Hockey team

The Portland area (30 minute drive) has both a Hockey team and Basketball team.

Heck if your in the area, and would like a tour and other information, call me, or stop by my offices in downtown Auburn, and I'd be happy to talk and show you around.

Karl
DBS-Designs by Skip
144 Main Street
Auburn

not sure if i'd want to be a meighbor of that light show (on video) but it is quite a show

I'd Recommend Auburn any day, taxes are a bit high, but has some very nice neighborhoods

lewiston has some nice neighborhoods also- Lewiston use to be a powerhouse manufacturing city!!

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 12-19-2010 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine