Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 05:47 PM

37,222 posts, read 60,940,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
Never, ever, expected someone to approach me and ask "are you ClownShoes".

I think I spilt some coffee out my nose..
One time in the post office a nice lady approached me and asked if I was 'Forest Beekeeper', she was a poster here and went by TxMom. What a pleasant surprise.

Then I bumped into NMLM in a restaurant; though I think I was the one who spotted his hat and made the connection.

I was approached by a lady once at a Farmer's Market who used to post here a lot here. I think that this forum does make it a small world at times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 06:00 PM

37,222 posts, read 60,940,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 221B View Post
What is it that determines whether or not a roof would need raking?
A steep pitch so snow slides off by itself; or metal roofing; or a flatter roof if it was engineered to support the snow load.

I see examples of each of these around.

Some homes have a very steep roof. [so the snow slides off naturally]

Metal roofs are gaining popularity. [so the snow slides off naturally]

Our roof is very nearly flat. It's slope has 1 foot of rise for 10 foot of run. But it was engineered to hold 250psf, I think the building code only calls for 100psf. [so a great deal of snow can sit on it without causing any harm]

Old 12-18-2010, 06:11 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,373,281 times
I don't know about raking but shoveling works too. Here's my brothers place. He waited until it was twice that deep before shoveling again a couple years ago.

Shorly after, I took a ride on my sled. I got sweaty taking those pictures.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:21 PM

22 posts, read 44,414 times
Thumbs up A big thanks to all of you!

I posted that question because:
1 - I absolutely LOVE Maine! and 2 - I am and have always been a very independent kinda person, been working since I was 14. And perhaps, yes, I'm probably thinking too much ahead, but God forbid I'd grow old here in CA. No, I want the pure air, the sincere people, the 4 seasons with all that entails...Bring it on! I thought about Montana, for a while, but decided against it. Maine it is. It will take 20 years to get there but I'll be there with all of you (call me a "mainah wannabe" Should I change my nickname?). Mr Forest Beekeeper, thank you very much for your reply (how on earth could you retire at 42?!?). I particularly enjoyed the story about the lil'ole lady!! It fit exactly what I think I want to be in my old age, and great advise too about the metal roofs! I'd never think about that. I'm thinking in either buy a plot of land sometime in the near future and slowly build my house or buy a small cabin somewhere in the woods and spend my vacations there so I get more of a taste on what it entails. Again, thanks to all of you. I'll keep reading your posts about ME

Old 12-18-2010, 11:57 PM

4,281 posts, read 15,708,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I don't know about raking but shoveling works too. Here's my brothers place. He waited until it was twice that deep before shoveling again a couple years ago.

Shorly after, I took a ride on my sled. I got sweaty taking those pictures.

Good to see you were smart enough to park the sled out of shoveling range.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:13 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,854,287 times
I must say, this is excellent forethought and planning on your part! Wish I was so "with it".
I live in Caribou, and the community is very close-knit around here. People truly look out for each other. You will have neighbors checking on you "just to say hi", most likely. And no trouble finding folks to do odd jobs, etc...........for reasonable prices.
I think you'll like it.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:46 AM

22 posts, read 44,414 times
maineguy8888, I'll be checking Caribou on my next trip sometime this summer. And take a look at some properties around. Actually seeing the houses in person gives you a much better sense of what it is than just checking out on the web... Talking about that, how are the prices up there?

Old 12-19-2010, 07:05 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,624,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
Never, ever, expected someone to approach me and ask "are you ClownShoes".

I think I spilt some coffee out my nose..
You just never know what to expect here in Maine!

Old 12-20-2010, 08:04 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,854,287 times
Prices were down a bit last year, but have stabilized. Average prices are about half what they are in southern and central Maine. (So in other words, prices are very good!)

Old 12-20-2010, 08:34 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,555,718 times
Some day Clownshoes is going to post his Odyssey in Maine.

-break-

As snow and ice thaw from the warm house, water runs down to the eaves where it refreezes, forming an ice dam. Water backs up and pools above this ice dam and it goes up under your shingles. There it drains into your building, either down through the walls or into your living spaces. It can destroy your house in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine