Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 10:56 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times

Advertisements

Maybe I missed it, but I don't know what type of work you do. Are you looking to live in Biddeford or Saco and work in Greater Portland? Or are you looking at jobs in Biddeford-Saco? Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know and as a some have said, be willing to work your tails off to start and perhaps not in your chosen field, but something that sustains you while you continue to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 10:56 AM

325 posts, read 705,764 times
I have worked a series of part time jobs. Notice I didn't say I didn't work. As said, lots of competition for jobs here.

As for blue collar jobs, as mentioned here before I am an insulin-dependent diabetic and cannot do heavily physically demanding jobs.

Also came here with money and received help from family.

Yes it is better to be poor in Maine than in Ohio for sure.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:06 AM

54 posts, read 212,023 times
WhoFanMe my wife and I have always been ones to work our tails off, and are still willing to do so if that is what it takes. I am working on getting some contacts through some friends of friends ad my uncle who lived in Maine for 5 or 6 years while in the Navy.

Evan I understand what you mean now knowing your condition. I did not mean to offend you if I did.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:14 AM

No worries; many people don't even understand what having diabetes means.

I say this: it cannot be worse here than in Ohio. If you have your heart set on moving here, do it. People here are better than there, to say the least.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:41 AM

Evan where are you from originally? I am from Iowa.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:50 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WedOnSamhain View Post
I just want to know if it is imperative that my wife and I need to be in the state of Maine to even be considered for jobs. We have have applied for numerous positions with little to no response. Although it is discouraging we will not give up our dream to move to the great state of Maine.

Also I would like any reviews from the experts of Maine for the towns of Biddeford and Saco for these are two of the towns we are looking at right now.

Thank you , Sean
I dont think thats a great way to find work anywhere let alone Maine.

Employers have the advantage right now and I can't imagine being out of state is going to help you.

With that said it all depends on the type of work you are looking for and where in Maine you want to live. I dont know what it is you do or what your looking for??

If you can come here and survive working for $8 or $10 hr working retail then go for it I have to believe you can one of those type of jobs.

I would not want ot come here and say hey....this is what I am looking for and I will only do that job... you could be in a tough situation.. and I though I cant explain it for some reason job searches can get real cold after a while of being out of work..

Maine is a tough enviroment for work as it is let alone this particular economy.'

good luck

Old 12-18-2010, 12:07 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
One thing you may want to keep in mind is that today, many businesses hang out the hiring sign regardless of whether or not they actually have an opening.

It keeps fresh applications coming in should someone not work out, so that may be one reason you're not getting a call back.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedOnSamhain View Post
Evan where are you from originally? I am from Iowa.
Vermont, but I lived in Iowa City for a year. Nice town.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:01 PM

503 posts, read 1,025,168 times
I live in Northern Maine in Aroostook county, it took me a year to find a job although I applied several places and had several interviews. I'm not saying it's impossible to find a job in a few months, but plan on longer and have enough money to live on for that amount of time.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:23 PM

Yeah Iowa City is a great place.........

We won't go in blind we will have at least one of us working thats for sure.

I cannot blame anyone for what they say as far as negativity towards the place they live. I would do the same if you ever wanted to move where I am ........The automotive industry around here has killed a lot of the jobs around this area. It has filtered down from Michigan to Ohio...its bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine