U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 10:30 AM

8 posts, read 12,488 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a wounded veteran and have family in New England and we are considering moving to Maine from MT which looks to be a very beautiful and wooded State with alot of nice people from those that we have met.

We are Constitutionalist and Conservative but do try and adapt to our environment and do not attempt to force our beliefs on anyone. We like to live rural in wooded areas and want to have a farm, we like to hunt, fish, camp etc.

The gun laws in ME seem very similar to MT and even better to some degree as ME doesn't ban anything and seems very Pro 2A/RKBA and Constitutionalist to some degree and even has that ideology in the Maine State Constitution which is very good.
Maine 1819: "Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms for the common defence; and this right shall never be questioned." Art. I, § 16.
Maine is a Shall Issue State concerning Concealed Carry and allows for Open Carry and is considering reciprocity concerning allowing other State Concealed Carry Licenses, Maine is also a Castle Doctrine State as well.
Maine has state preemption of firearms laws. No political subdivision of the state may adopt any law regulating firearms or ammunition, except for regulating the discharge of firearms.[140]

Concerning hunting and fishing laws, I am a wounded veteran do I still have to take hunter safety or just show the dd214 like MT and or are there separate hunter safety course for Firearms, muzzle-loader, bow and crossbow or does one safety course or its equivelent cover all of them?

Apparently in Maine you cant hunt with a shotgun that can hold more than 3 rounds or a rifle that can hold more than 5 rounds which is pretty standard, can I plug the shotgun magazine tube and use 5 round detachable mags for the rifle?

How are the jobs there, probably like anywhere else right now I am guessing, however its really bad here since everything is so spread out on top of being in a recession?

What about ticks, mosquitoes and black flies, like anywhere else too I would guess at least between here and there?

Property prices seem about the same in ME as in MT if you go out a bit, insurance costs are one of the worst here in MT but listed as the lowest there in ME.
Utility costs are very high here and look to be there as well; now we don't have sales tax here but they gouge us on everything else to make up for it such as State income tax, vehicle registration etc. What are sales, income and property taxes like or is it a situation where wages and cost of living more or less balance out to some degree.

Overall whats it like there in Maine is it really as wooded and as nice as I am seeing and reading about and are people there really as nice and friendly as they seem, am I missing anything?

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 04:39 PM

34,295 posts, read 55,948,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
Hello,
Welcome

Quote:
... I am a wounded veteran and have family in New England and we are considering moving to Maine from MT which looks to be a very beautiful and wooded State with alot of nice people from those that we have met.
We have met many very nice people since we moved to Maine, and most of Maine is very nice.

Quote:
... We like to live rural in wooded areas and want to have a farm, we like to hunt, fish, camp etc.
Maine has lots of areas to hunt, fish and camp.

Quote:
... do I still have to take hunter safety or just show the dd214 like MT and or are there separate hunter safety course for Firearms, muzzle-loader, bow and crossbow or does one safety course or its equivelent cover all of them?
I do believe that one safety course covers everything.

Quote:
... How are the jobs there, probably like anywhere else right now I am guessing, however its really bad here since everything is so spread out on top of being in a recession?
Maine has not been effected much by the recession. Maine lost most of it's jobs many decades ago, and has been in a long-term recession for a few decades.

Quote:
... What about ticks, mosquitoes and black flies, like anywhere else too I would guess at least between here and there?
We get them, in season.

Quote:
... Property prices seem about the same in ME as in MT if you go out a bit, insurance costs are one of the worst here in MT but listed as the lowest there in ME.
That does happen.

Quote:
... Utility costs are very high here and look to be there as well; now we don't have sales tax here but they gouge us on everything else to make up for it such as State income tax, vehicle registration etc. What are sales, income and property taxes like or is it a situation where wages and cost of living more or less balance out to some degree.
There are some areas of Maine where they seem to pay higher taxes. We found that we can live in Maine with very low taxes, so we are happy here

Quote:
... Overall whats it like there in Maine is it really as wooded and as nice as I am seeing and reading about and are people there really as nice and friendly as they seem, am I missing anything?

Thank you.
'missing'?

Some locals like to fiercely insist that they pay high taxes, not sure why really, but they do. I had assumed that they had simply never traveled much, and as a result they had never experienced high taxes. But that is just my assumption.

Good luck now

Old 12-19-2010, 05:08 PM

Well sir if Mainers are anything like yourself and the others from Maine that we have dealt with which I would imagine that they are then all is good and Maine is our own and we cant wait to get home there in New England.
I have read several of your posts which are both informative, professional and polite, much appreciated and good to have people on forums like that, cool pictures btw too.
Thank you for your time.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:21 PM

10,264 posts, read 17,083,531 times
Maine is the most heavily wooded state in the country. I think the people are nice and helpful without being nosey. I'm a disabled vet too. I'm half deaf from explosions.

You'll be in good company. Just yesterday I attended a seminar given by Sheriff Richard Mack of the Sheriff's Project. It was in Old Town, Maine.

You can hunt with a 5 shot magazine in a shotgun, just not for migratory fowl.

Your DD214 will be good for a concealed weapons permit. If you have ever taken a hunter safety course or held a hunting license bring it with you. That's all you need for a hunting license. There is a separate course required for bow hunting. Crossbow laws are changing. Check when you get here.

Center fire rifles can hold only 5 rounds. You can't have a 30 round mag for your AR-15 while hunting even if it only has 4 rounds in the magazine. There is no limit to magazine capacity for .22 rimfires.

If you are versatile you can find work. It's unlikely that you'll get a 9 to 5 job with full benefits. However, there are many part time or seasonal jobs.

There are ticks in southern Maine. I have never seen a tick north of Bangor. Black flies are a nuisance in early June. We do indoor work during that time.

Sales tax is 5%. Maine has the lowest utility rates in New England. On a $100,000 house you would pay from $500 to $2,200 depending on how much your town likes to spend your money.

Take a trip to Maine. We'll answer your questions and show you around.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:48 PM

That all sounds good and sounds similar to here but with more opportunities, I also have a law enforcement and corrections background and there seems to be alot of opportunities in those fields as per some conversations with some very friendly and informative fellow officers.
Thank you sir for the information and thank you for your service to our country, I am sorry that you were injured and trust that you have a VSO helping you with the VA.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:51 PM

10,264 posts, read 17,083,531 times
I have hearing aids provided by the VA. I can't hear much without them, but I do pretty well with them. I wasn't injured in the usual sense. No new holes.

I don't know anything about your physical limitations, but there are dispatch and administrative positions that come up in LEO and corrections.

BTW; I know what Jäger means.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:16 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,915,392 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am a wounded veteran and have family in New England and we are considering moving to Maine from MT which looks to be a very beautiful and wooded State with alot of nice people from those that we have met.

We are Constitutionalist and Conservative but do try and adapt to our environment and do not attempt to force our beliefs on anyone. We like to live rural in wooded areas and want to have a farm, we like to hunt, fish, camp etc.

The gun laws in ME seem very similar to MT and even better to some degree as ME doesn't ban anything and seems very Pro 2A/RKBA and Constitutionalist to some degree and even has that ideology in the Maine State Constitution which is very good.
Maine 1819: "Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms for the common defence; and this right shall never be questioned." Art. I, § 16.
Maine is a Shall Issue State concerning Concealed Carry and allows for Open Carry and is considering reciprocity concerning allowing other State Concealed Carry Licenses, Maine is also a Castle Doctrine State as well.
Maine has state preemption of firearms laws. No political subdivision of the state may adopt any law regulating firearms or ammunition, except for regulating the discharge of firearms.[140]

Concerning hunting and fishing laws, I am a wounded veteran do I still have to take hunter safety or just show the dd214 like MT and or are there separate hunter safety course for Firearms, muzzle-loader, bow and crossbow or does one safety course or its equivelent cover all of them?

Apparently in Maine you cant hunt with a shotgun that can hold more than 3 rounds or a rifle that can hold more than 5 rounds which is pretty standard, can I plug the shotgun magazine tube and use 5 round detachable mags for the rifle?

How are the jobs there, probably like anywhere else right now I am guessing, however its really bad here since everything is so spread out on top of being in a recession?

What about ticks, mosquitoes and black flies, like anywhere else too I would guess at least between here and there?

Property prices seem about the same in ME as in MT if you go out a bit, insurance costs are one of the worst here in MT but listed as the lowest there in ME.
Utility costs are very high here and look to be there as well; now we don't have sales tax here but they gouge us on everything else to make up for it such as State income tax, vehicle registration etc. What are sales, income and property taxes like or is it a situation where wages and cost of living more or less balance out to some degree.

Overall whats it like there in Maine is it really as wooded and as nice as I am seeing and reading about and are people there really as nice and friendly as they seem, am I missing anything?

Thank you.
If I didn't want the ocean so badly, I'd much prefer living in New Hampshire: no tax on income and no sales tax. Maine is one of the highest taxed states in the nation. Meanwhile, I keep hearing that NH has high property taxes, but I've seen plenty of homes further inland in NH for sale with property taxes of around 2K.

New Hampshire has a lower unemployment rate than Maine, and overall NH seems a better run, better functioning state.

I'd go to New Hampshire in a minute, but I love the ocean too much. But for landlubbers, NH might be a better place.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:01 PM

Yeah Jager is hunter in German.

I will only live in States that support the Constitution and 2A/RKBA and Maine and Vermont even have the same written into their State Constitutions. Maine also has preemption of gun laws and prohibits ammunition bans or gun bans; NH looks like a pro gun State as well and that is good as more States should follow suit.

I have been in the Marine Corps, lived at Sea and on the Rock as well as lived on the coast and like the Sea alot as well as the woods and so Maine seems like it would be ideal and one of the larger States in the East and is alot like MT in alot of ways besides being smaller and on the Ocean.

Last edited by Jäger; 12-19-2010 at 09:21 PM..

Old 12-20-2010, 12:29 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,915,392 times
Quote:
Yeah Jager is hunter in German.

I will only live in States that support the Constitution and 2A/RKBA and Maine and Vermont even have the same written into their State Constitutions. Maine also has preemption of gun laws and prohibits ammunition bans or gun bans; NH looks like a pro gun State as well and that is good as more States should follow suit.

I have been in the Marine Corps, lived at Sea and on the Rock as well as lived on the coast and like the Sea alot as well as the woods and so Maine seems like it would be ideal and one of the larger States in the East and is alot like MT in alot of ways besides being smaller and on the Ocean.
"There's no better place for freedom-loving Americans than New Hampshire... In a vote that ended in September 2003, FSP participants chose New Hampshire because it has the lowest state and local tax burden in the continental U.S., the second-lowest level of dependence on federal spending in the U.S., a citizen legislature where state house representatives have not raised their $100 per year salary since 1889, the lowest crime levels in the U.S., a dynamic economy with plenty of jobs and investment, and a culture of individual responsibility indicated by, for example, an absence of seatbelt and helmet requirements for adults."

Free State Project Link: http://freestateproject.org//

Old 12-20-2010, 10:49 PM

6,934 posts, read 5,258,843 times
I think we are fighting like H#*l to keep Maine a "free" state, but it's a never-ending battle. We have a tremendous culture war going on in Maine between the coastal areas (especially southern) and the rest of the state (statists in the former, freedom defenders in the latter----in general).
Maine is great, if the rest of the country was more like it then we would be in a lot better shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>