Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:41 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
lol
This "Tin Bender" Has the strongest non~Down Eastern Accent I have ever heard around. (*pulled right out of the salt water `-I'm sure.)
Grew up too close to "Jonespoht" and listened to Bert & I too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 07:52 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Grew up too close to "Jonespoht" and listened to Bert & I too much.
lol That might be the cause.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:50 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,312 times
When people ask my New Zealand bride,"Where'd you get that accent?" her standard reply is, "Right here, I never had one until I moved here." So I guess in Maine, y'all don't have an accent untill you go elsewhere?

Old 01-08-2011, 09:15 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
I thought Bert and I was Bert Nye when I was a kid...

Old 01-08-2011, 09:17 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
"The broken french/english dialect (from way up north and parts of lewiston) isnt so bad-unless they get wound up and go full speed into french"

Kit Pelletier from St Francis used to say, "I from de Valley. I don' speak English an I don' speak French too either." He would switch languages in mid-sentence. When he spoke to somebody he knew did not understand French he would just have these long pauses where the French would have been. We could piece it together reasonably well. You couldn't stand too close to Kit or you would be hit by a flailing arm.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:26 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
I've known people like that. Tie their hands to their sides and they would go mute. Great fun at parties.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
When people ask my New Zealand bride,"Where'd you get that accent?" her standard reply is, "Right here, I never had one until I moved here." So I guess in Maine, y'all don't have an accent untill you go elsewhere?
I would of said, What part of Maine are ya from? That would always explain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"The broken french/english dialect (from way up north and parts of lewiston) isnt so bad-unless they get wound up and go full speed into french"

Kit Pelletier from St Francis used to say, "I from de Valley. I don' speak English an I don' speak French too either." He would switch languages in mid-sentence. When he spoke to somebody he knew did not understand French he would just have these long pauses where the French would have been. We could piece it together reasonably well. You couldn't stand too close to Kit or you would be hit by a flailing arm.
Up North in the French Speakin' Side of the Hills you may read...
Breakfast Menu Reads:
"Two eggs side by each on a pair of toast." $3.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I've known people like that. Tie their hands to their sides and they would go mute. Great fun at parties.
I married one... I'll have to sigh for him if something interfers with his hands being unavailable.... he admits it with a smile.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:07 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Blue Plate Special: "We pick it; You eat it."

Old 01-10-2011, 07:05 PM

163 posts, read 295,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

This cracks me up! Hadn't thought of it in many years, but back in the late sixties I worked with a guy named Paul Charpentier who was from southern Quebec. Like Kit he was very animated. I used to liken him to a comedian whom told the kind of jokes that took a minute to sink in.

One Monday he uncharacteristicly didn't show up for work. Tuesday we asked him if he had been sick. His reply was, "No,my good friend Ray, he died de odder day and I had to be a ball bearing at de funeral." Another time we were discussing a fight that had been on tv. He said, "It was o.k. but der was too much clinking."

Old 01-11-2011, 07:31 PM

591 posts, read 926,172 times
no-one ever thinks they have an accent, as its from the place they live, thats the norm for us all. If you heard me talk, youd think i had an accent but its what im used to.

I have heard Mainers talk a few time, one was on 'Stephen Fry in America, and it seemed normal until a couple of words, where the emphasis went on a few words that had 'ar' in them. Like, 'Water' and even 'Harbour'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine