U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2010, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,947 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are young professionals in our mid-20's relocating to the Augusta area from the midwest for work. Neither of us have ever been to Maine and are finding ourselves getting more and more anxious about where to live. We would like to be somewhere near shopping, restaurants and entertainment, however we would also like a nice neighborhood with yards and other young families. Schools are not an issue at the moment - we just want to be somewhere clean, friendly and safe. We are willing to look anywhere within about 20-25 minutes of Augusta. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 12:52 PM

10,264 posts, read 17,101,003 times
Nearly all of Maine is clean, friendly and safe. I recommend that you send away for a DeLorme Atlas. It is an indispensable book of maps for Maine. Look around Augusta for towns. The populations are just inside the front cover. You don't need to get too far out of Augusta to find beautiful country towns.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:28 PM

40 posts, read 91,831 times
To be perfectly honest, Augusta is a pretty dumpy town. You will hear many people refer to it as "disgusta", but the surrounding area is beautiful

Old 12-26-2010, 04:34 PM

103 posts, read 180,915 times
There's a really good book (I just got it last month as we are moving in 2011 to Maine) called, Moving to Maine, Updated and Expanded 2nd Edition: The Essential Guide to Get You There and What You Need to Know to Stay

It's a wonderful resource. It's beautiful country up there....beautiful, which is why we are going up there

Best of luck to you.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,317 times
Default Nebraskan possibly relocating

Hello,

I currently live in Lincoln Nebraska and was thinking of moving to Maine. I have researched on the internet, Augusta, Bangor, Lewiston-Auburn, Southern Portland etc. I am looking or a city/town with low crime, decent standard of living with a positive forecast for job growth.

So far, I really haven't found any consistant information. Any possible suggestions???

Thanks

Old 12-29-2010, 05:51 AM

3,442 posts, read 6,157,789 times
I agree with the person that said Augusta is 'dumpy'. If I were you I would get the atlas and check out the surrounding towns. I think Richmond and Gardner are close by and a bit further east would be Wiscasset.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:32 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,187,946 times
If you would like to be near water, Belgrade isn't that far (little pricey), the Augusta end of Vassalboro is nice, Sidney is popular. Manchester is pretty, but also pricey (IMO). As any towns, there's nice, nicer and not so nice areas! We just bought a home this past summer and we pretty much checked out every surrounding town as my spouse is employed in Augusta!

Old 12-29-2010, 10:37 PM

124 posts, read 266,607 times
Augusta is actually a nice city. It has some better parts and some not so nice ones, just as every place in Maine does. Growing up in the area has given me some insights that others might not have. The tax situation in Augusta isn't too bad, to some it might sound high but you do receive city services. My parents live in Gardiner, only 8 miles away from me and their house is worth thousands less but they pay only 500 dollars less in taxes and they don't have trash pick up. The large box stores in Augusta keep the tax rate down. They also provide a variable place to shop. Growing up you had to travel to Portland to shop unless you wanted Kmart, now things have improvided. Augusta has a very nice rail trail that starts in Gardiner and ends in the downtown. Perfect for bike riding or just walking. My family and I use it alot. The State Museum is a great place to visit as is Fort Western. There are several nice towns surrounding Augusta as well. Every place has its pros and cons but don't base your opinion on something like "disgusta". It's a term that teenagers used in the 80's to express our disatifaction because we didn't have a mall like So. Portland.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:41 PM

124 posts, read 266,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I agree with the person that said Augusta is 'dumpy'. If I were you I would get the atlas and check out the surrounding towns. I think Richmond and Gardner are close by and a bit further east would be Wiscasset.
Yes, old mill towns like Gardiner and Richmond are little gems in comparison. Wiscasset to Augusta in the winter, you'd have better luck with the Donner party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>