Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:33 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
I just think that a guy who campaigned like he did, has already done an about face and he hasn't even taken the oath of office yet. That does not bode well in my eyes. Maybe "it just is" is what is wrong with America today. Enough of politicians who yell....CHANGE, then don't. "It just is", might just make us the country that "just was."

I sort of liked the guy, but not anymore. SOSSDD.

I intend to give him the benefit of the doubt until such a time that he's actually been in office for a while.

What I want to see is what kind of jobs he'll bring into this state, and if those jobs are actually full-time and offer an actual living wage which won't quailfy an employee for Mainecare benefits. I'll also be interested to see how he'll pay off the current Mainecare debts.

I also wish to see just how many state jobs he cuts, and where those people will find other work.

It'll be interesting. I'll sit back and wait for the proof in the pudding so-to-speak.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:13 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,738 times
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:35 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,642 times
I will agree loop, if he can bring jobs to Maine, that pay a decent wage, and cut bloated spending, 41K isn't that much to pay. It just doesn't look like he is going to be any different once he is is a sitting governor. That was a PR disaster.

Do you really think a governor, of any state, can do that much to bring business into a state? We still have lots of special interest groups out there, who usually do not want what is best for the state as a whole. I haven't seen a lot of difference as of late between the two parties. Both seem to only want to get re-elected.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something.
Some words of wisdom I came across years ago are applicable to life, marriage, business and politics-

"Avoid even the appearance of impropriety."

While they can serve private individuals well, public figures who are in the spotlight should be even more mindful of them.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:41 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
I will agree loop, if he can bring jobs to Maine, that pay a decent wage, and cut bloated spending, 41K isn't that much to pay. It just doesn't look like he is going to be any different once he is is a sitting governor. That was a PR disaster.

Do you really think a governor, of any state, can do that much to bring business into a state? We still have lots of special interest groups out there, who usually do not want what is best for the state as a whole. I haven't seen a lot of difference as of late between the two parties. Both seem to only want to get re-elected.
My short answer would be absolutely "nope." "Yep" on the special interest groups, but during this election, Maine was turned upside down in terms of political party, so IMHO, it would behoove all legislators (regardless of political affiliation) to take heed to the message being sent.

I think Zymer nailed it with his recent comment. People are watching - and watching closely because this truly affects the way they live (in the form of their own pocketbooks).

It's a little late IMO, but at least the jobs situation and money spending is starting to be taken seriously.

We'll see.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:52 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Me too, but let's at least let the career start before condemning them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I intend to give him the benefit of the doubt until such a time that he's actually been in office for a while.

What I want to see is what kind of jobs he'll bring into this state, and if those jobs are actually full-time and offer an actual living wage which won't quailfy an employee for Mainecare benefits. I'll also be interested to see how he'll pay off the current Mainecare debts.

I also wish to see just how many state jobs he cuts, and where those people will find other work.

It'll be interesting. I'll sit back and wait for the proof in the pudding so-to-speak.
Sitting back and watching this egg crack will be very interesting. I know him "personally" and it was the only time I cried out when he won. He is dark, and his skeletons can fill a hearse a few times over.
His hiring skills are less then diserable.
IT's not going to be a pretty term.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:36 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Sitting back and watching this egg crack will be very interesting. I know him "personally" and it was the only time I cried out when he won. He is dark, and his skeletons can fill a hearse a few times over.
His hiring skills are less then diserable.
IT's not going to be a pretty term.
People did not elect him to be charismatic, charming, or even political. They elected him to try and stop the hemmoraging of tax dollars to the perpetuation of Maine's welfare state, to put a clamp on the special interests and envrio-nuts who have strangled business out of the State, and to reverse the spending and waste Augusta has become accustomed to over the last 30 years. I don't care if LePage is the devil incarnate as long as he does something to keep us from going bankrupt.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:45 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
People did not elect him to be charismatic, charming, or even political. They elected him to try and stop the hemmoraging of tax dollars to the perpetuation of Maine's welfare state, to put a clamp on the special interests and envrio-nuts who have strangled business out of the State, and to reverse the spending and waste Augusta has become accustomed to over the last 30 years. I don't care if LePage is the devil incarnate as long as he does something to keep us from going bankrupt.
I agree with you that welfare is costly--and too easy to get....even heard of some who have made a living from it for many years; I certainly don't agree with that. I have seen many (some in my own family) struggle to get by with seasonal employment for decades--at least they are willing to work. Others who are willing to work two or more jobs to try to make ends meet.

I was a business major in college and also love the Maine outdoors--clear lakes, ponds, and streams--not to mention both fresh and saltwater fishing/seafood. I can smell all the smells of a walk in the Maine woods just sitting here typing about it....the ocean while mackeral fishing with my dad.

I think business is important as well as the environment. Whether we like it or not, a healthy environment helps keep the tourist industry a major source of income. Don't you think the key is a balance between a healthy business climate as well some environmental considerations? The challenge will be to find the balance. I take it that you don't consider any part of this $41,000 wasteful spending.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post

I'm not taking exception to what you are saying Reloop because we ALL would like to see things get better here. But I had to chuckle when I read it.. this notion that politicians create jobs..

I know reloop you dont mean that way but reading your post just made me think.. How many people will judge him by looking at themselves and ask... why is my life not better? I want to vote for the politician who makes my life better.. I've stop asking those things.. I am more worried about my children at this point.. This will take my life time to fix and really all the sacrifices probably wont be quantifyable.. Just an overall reduced standard of living that none of us will ever realize..

I hope he can just make a start in reversing this culture of enititlement. Stop the flow of welfare IN migration, get rid of Dirigo, open the state up for competition in the ins. market ect... I would be happy! but remember this took 40 years to create it

A lady the other day complained and whined about snowmobiles riding in a vacant lot down the street and demanded to know what the city ordances say about snowmobiles... Um...NOTHING! there are no ordinances restricting snowmobiles unless the person who OWNS the lot has a problem then there could be technically a trespass issue... I mean really.. why are you living IN MAINE if you cant deal with snowmobiles

Old 12-30-2010, 12:07 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I agree with you that welfare is costly--and too easy to get....even heard of some who have made a living from it for many years; I certainly don't agree with that. I have seen many (some in my own family) struggle to get by with seasonal employment for decades--at least they are willing to work. Others who are willing to work two or more jobs to try to make ends meet.

I was a business major in college and also love the Maine outdoors--clear lakes, ponds, and streams--not to mention both fresh and saltwater fishing/seafood. I can smell all the smells of a walk in the Maine woods just sitting here typing about it....the ocean while mackeral fishing with my dad.

I think business is important as well as the environment. Whether we like it or not, a healthy environment helps keep the tourist industry a major source of income. Don't you think the key is a balance between a healthy business climate as well some environmental considerations? The challenge will be to find the balance. I take it that you don't consider any part of this $41,000 wasteful spending.
Not when we have things like The Lobster Promotion Counsel spending tens of thousands of dollars to promote a product which has never needed promoting in the past. Then there's re-studying re-evaluation and the eventual re-routing of a much needed route one by pass in Wiscassett because ONE eagle nest is in the area!!! There's your wasted spending. Move the GD eagle!!! They will take a HUMAN being's home from them by eminent domain to put in a road but you can't move ONE EAGLE??? How much do you think all of that is going to cost??? That's really crazy...It's the crazy part of this envrio-nut stuff that makes reasonable people so angry.
If someone is being paid $41,000 for providing a service how in the world do you call it wastful spending??
Paying deadbeats to sit around the double wide sucking down coffee brandy, smoking cigarrettes and doing NOTHING for society in general while collecting food stamps, WIC, free rent, free transportation,and free day care as they continue to spit out illigitimate rug rats like cherry pits is a waste of money. Rewarding people for bad behavior promotes bad behavior. Other people's bad choices in life should not cost the rest of us any of our hard earned pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine