U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 12:22 PM

11 posts, read 24,753 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping that someone out there can help me. I recently purchased an old sign at a yard sale in Massachusetts. It's a huge sign - says Wayside Cottage, Rooms, Breakfast, Guests only. The woman that I bought it from had it for years and says she originally bought it at a barn sale in Maine. I'm just wondering if there is anyone who would know something about the place...it would be fun to know where it came from...(I googled it with no luck) Thanks and happy new year!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 12:45 PM

10,264 posts, read 16,944,065 times
Back in the 1940s there were tourist cabins or cottages all over Maine. I stayed in many on our fishing trips. They were usually 8 by 16 feet with one bedroom and a sitting room. Most had a small porch for sitting outside. They were shaded by pines to be cooler in the daytime. If they had power it was usually a single light bulb hanging from the peak. There were no radios. Sanitary facilities were the common outhouse, a two holer. Water was from a faucet and you lugged your own to wash up.

These were uninsulated buildings with bare studs on the inside. Old calendar pictures of hunting and fishing adorned the walls. As entrepreneuring Mainers sought to extend their seasons they added Franklin stoves for hunters and foliage visitors. There was still no insulation. Such was touring during WWII for those who had saved their gas rationing cards.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:13 PM

That's interesting...sometimes on the back roads of New England, I've noticed abandoned cottages like you describe, has made me wonder a little about them...

I'd guess that this sign probably dates soemwhere between the 30's - 50's...Thanks!

Old 12-29-2010, 01:19 PM

10,264 posts, read 16,944,065 times
Interstates and Best Westerns killed the roadside cottage industry.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:44 PM

I imagine so...my 8 year old son and I love to go on "joy rides" when we are in NH, explore the roads less traveled...it's sad sometimes to see what once was - little cafes, storefronts, cottages...no longer in use probably since I-93 was constructed...

Old 12-29-2010, 01:52 PM

and another thing...we own a little condo in the White Mountain area that sits on land that a grand hotel once stood on. The hotel burned to the ground in the 50's...probably would have been demolished in the 70's anyway when they put I-93 through town - exit ramp is where the hotel was...that does make me think of what got destroyed when these roads were built...

Old 12-29-2010, 01:55 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,967,597 times
The Wayside Inn located in Sudbury Mass. is one of the oldest in New England.
It was owned by my family for 150 years.....probably not the same as "The Wayside Cottage" though....

Old 12-29-2010, 02:24 PM

How wonderful that you can visit something that was in your family for so many years! I am envious!

Probably not the same place as you say - but I did enjoy looking at the website, as I have always had an interest in old buildings, taverns, inns, hotels, etc...thanks for posting that! If I am in the Sudbury area sometime, I will have to check it out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: