Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:29 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
"Oh yeah, they had insulation. It just wasn't pink. And we have added some insulation over the last 100 years. Oddly enough, you can put it in an old house. Leads to less heat loss from the "envelope". The sun also melts the snow off the roof but still no ice dams, no snow overload, nothing. Matter of fact I can't remember anyone in town who had too much snow and have their roof collapse. The old timers knew what they were doing. Too many engineers involved now."

Whoops, must have heard the wrong profession at the MUBEC class. I was sure they said "design engineers"; which, thinking about it, may be an architect. Or maybe the instructor got the nomenclature incorrect. Just making the statement that things are made too complicated nowadays,. In my humble opinion.
True....like tarpaper or felt as a vapor barrier under clapboard siding was just fine for 200 years but now we have to use Tyvek. It will cost me $15,000 to remove the cedar clapboards from the rest my barn, remove the Tyvek from the sheathing, reside it and paint it again. I have had to paint the barn EVERY SUMMER since it was built in 2000 because the Tyvek pushes moisture through the clapboards and blows the paint right off. I don't know a builder that will use the stuff anymore for fear of law suits. Tyvek does not work in Maine. We get too much moisture in the air and too much daily temperature fluctuation. Tarpaper works just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 01:36 PM

591 posts, read 926,030 times
Is raking a regular thing in Maine winters?

Looks a bit of fun. Or, do you get people out to do it for you?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:42 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
Is raking a regular thing in Maine winters?

Looks a bit of fun. Or, do you get people out to do it for you?
It isn't fun. It's hard on the arms. We only have to do it when we get a foot or more of snow on the roof. That doesn't happen all that often. I haven't had to rake this winter yet.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:14 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Due to heavy snow loads you can't find people to shovel roofs. Anybody who will do this work is already busy. Sooner or later it will melt and those ice dams at your eaves will trap water. It will leak into your home if you don't have a membrane under your shingles.

One remedy is those salt pucks you toss up onto the roof. they are calcium chloride and they quickly melt down through the snow to the roof. Then the salt water makes a path to the eaves which allows water to run off safely.

Let's see; nobody to shovel roofs and now you can't find the salt pucks. Everybody is sold out. The Home Depot store manager in Ellsworth found a solution. Take an old pair of panty hose, dump 1/4 cup of calcium chloride in the toe and tie off the salt Snip the closed pouch and repeat. Toss those up onto your roof. They will melt down through the snow. In the spring after the salt is dissolved the pieces of panty hose will blow off your roof.

Yankee ingenuity. Hey, for a lot of people it's safer than shoveling roofs.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Salt pucks; neat idea.

If you filled a coffee cup with road salt, added a bit of water and set it on a woodstove; I think it would would form a 'puck' once the water had boiled away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine