Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:54 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,747 times

Advertisements

Can you give me some idea what the night sky is like in some or all of the following towns?

Deer Isle the town and Deer Isle Island(s) as a whole?
Phippsburg
Camden
Boothbay
Cushing
Georgetown
Friendship
Owls Head

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 04:04 AM

71 posts, read 173,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Can you give me some idea what the night sky is like in some or all of the following towns?

Deer Isle the town and Deer Isle Island(s) as a whole?
Phippsburg
Camden
Boothbay
Cushing
Georgetown
Friendship
Owls Head

Thanks.
Usually dark....sometimes starry.....

Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,358 times
A lot of towns that do not have streetlights have magnificent skies. Not sure of your list but have lived in paces up here that you can see the Milky Way almost perfectly across its whole expanse. I didn't get to see much of that for 20 years living on AF bases. All those stars can make it difficult (at least for me) to pick out most of the constellations.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:46 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,665,288 times
Phippsburg gets a bit of a skywash from Bath. The rest of them should be no problem as long as you get away from the immidiate down town area. We get a bit of a skywash here in Freeport from the lights at LL Bean. Even with that I had no trouble finding stars, planets, and most of the Messier Objects from my back yard with an 8" Schmitd-Cassegrain. Winter is best....nice and dry.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:42 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,263 times
Deer Isle would be a great place to see the night sky without needing to drive inland. Over the summer I was camping at Acadia (just a skip and a jump away from Deer Isle by boat) and at 7-8 PM I could see the Milky Way very clearly (as retiredtinbender said) until the full moon rose and created enough light pollution to wash it out. That being said, Friendship is probably also a good place to watch the stars. Owls Head (getting light from Rockland) and Camden will have a little more light pollution, but not a lot.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:27 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,358 times
How about Brooklin?

Old 01-06-2011, 02:57 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
How about Brooklin?
The lights from Super Wallyworld, Lowes, and Home Despot, almost make it impossible to see the sky. Thank God for all the fast food joints, or it just wouldn't be worth living here.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:21 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Deer Isle would be a great place to see the night sky without needing to drive inland. Over the summer I was camping at Acadia (just a skip and a jump away from Deer Isle by boat) and at 7-8 PM I could see the Milky Way very clearly (as retiredtinbender said) until the full moon rose and created enough light pollution to wash it out. That being said, Friendship is probably also a good place to watch the stars. Owls Head (getting light from Rockland) and Camden will have a little more light pollution, but not a lot.
Thank you.

I've heard the west side of Mount Desert Island has a great night sky, and so I thought Deer Isle likely does, too (or at least the side of Deer Isle nearest Mount Desert), but I wasn't sure.

Just found the following: Light Pollution Map of Mt. Desert Island

Old 01-07-2011, 11:15 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,568 times
More inclusive map of areas of dark skies in Maine (and elsewhere...no wonder my family from CT gets "freaked out" by it being so dark in Maine!).

Dark Sky Finder

Old 01-07-2011, 12:42 PM

701 posts, read 1,083,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
More inclusive map of areas of dark skies in Maine (and elsewhere...no wonder my family from CT gets "freaked out" by it being so dark in Maine!).

Dark Sky Finder
What a great sight! It does look as if there's a lot of "dark sky" in Maine.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine