Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 AM

9 posts, read 22,979 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm from a small European country called Bulgaria and this year will come in the USA via the program Work and Travel.
This is my first time and am a bit disoriented, so I hope to help me.
Me and my girlfriend have job offers from Old Orchard Beach, Maine.
We will work in a hotel, but unfortunately we havn't secured accommodation.
It will be usefull if you can provide me some information about housing and finding second job, for both of us. i would like to see most of the interesting thing in Maine area so feel free to recomend intersting place to visit. I'm 23 years old, like climbing, cycling, entertainment.

Sorry for bad English it isn’t my native.

Thanks in advance, greetings from Bulgaria!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:13 AM

47,840 posts, read 21,871,995 times
Welcome.....I hope you have a wonderful time in the USA. Old Orchard Beach is a very busy tourist community...in southern Maine.....It has a very beautiful sandy beach. In the summer it is very crowded.....lots of families and young people enjoy it.....it has an amusement park atmosphere...that overpowers its natural beauty. There are other quieter sea side areas in the region....if you have transportation...and need to catch a break from the resort.

Does your employer have any suggestions about accomodations? OOB is very busy and at the height of the season.....almost everything is rented. I wish you good luck.....and I hope you enjoy Maine and America. Does the Work and Travel Program have any suggestions re: accomodations? It will be hard to be in a strange country where you don't speak the language, making minimum wages.....and having to find accomodations.

It would be ideal if they could connect you with a host family.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the fast response. I hope so to be wonderful experience It's a pitty but nor WaT or the employer provide accomodations and all is my own responsibility. I look at some offers in maine.craigslist.org but I think is too early to ask for reservations of house or room. I would ask my employer to provide me accomodation for first 3-4 days, after my arriving,if fail to cope with finding accommodation online.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:35 PM

Will you have transportation? A bicycle or car? I am wondering about camp sites? I am sure rentals in Saco....(the closest little city to OOB...would be easier to find) but you couldnt walk back and forth to work.) Rentals in OOB during the summer are going to be hard to find and expensive.

Oh by the way.......OOB has been a popular vacation area for French Canadian tourists....and French is widely spoken around some of the hotels and resturants that cater to them.....if you speak French.....that may come in handy.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:57 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,637,595 times
Welcome to Maine! I have worked with many Bulgarians in Bar Harbor and they are very wonderful people-good sense of humor,hard working,good hearted and down to earth. I think you will have a great time and make lots of money. Sorry I can't help you out with a place to stay.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:26 PM

I think to buy a bicycle....driving car is more expensive , and my primary goal is to save more money for traveling in USA and for my Master degree. English is the only language I know besides bulgarian. I mesure the distance from OOB to Saco with Google Earth and i think that about 3 miles is not to far for bicycle. . Camp sites?...with tent or caravan ?
My job offer starts at 25 may.
8635angelvalley thanks for good words

Old 01-11-2011, 05:02 PM

I think you will find that housing will be almost impossible to find in OOB in the summer....I don't want to scare you but I wouldnt attempt to find a place for a week in July in OOB.....and I speak English and have some resources.

I worry about foriegn workers being exploited.....I knew a couple of women from Ireland who came over to work in a hotel in NH.....there experience was not good.....and they didnt save any money.....they were living in extremely substandard housing. But they loved being in America and even came back the next summer.....so I guess it wasnt too bad.

Be aware that it will be tough. Saco would be a better bet than the tourist towns....along the coast..... There is a camp ground/campers and tents on Rt 1 called cascadia campground....I dont know anything about it ..... but you could definately bike from there. This link has camp grounds in the area. Campgrounds in Saco, ME on Yahoo! Local I think most of these would be within bicycle distance.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:45 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,553,788 times
linkin_p, Your English is better than some here on these boards. I recommend checking with the colleges in the area. You may be able to get an efficiency apartment at a college at low cost.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:32 AM

elston,I looked the link that you recomended but honestly I don't get it. There is price for the stay but it is only for the sites and I must have own campers or rented ?... in the nearest camp there is requirement if you want to rent for the entire season it must be paid in advance.. daily rate is about 48$ water an electric... Rates & Info | Hid'n Pines Family Campground
I send an e-mail to one guy who offer a room for 115$ and he tell me, to wrote him one week before travel to USA, he could manage to suggest me something.
Northern Maine Land Man, it's very interesting to me what do you mean saying: "You may be able to get an efficiency apartment at a college at low cost."
I search in University of New England site University of New England - Biddeford Campus , but unfortunately there is too many information and i had difficult times trying to orientate. In the end I have headache and nothing against. Could you be more specific.
Also is there anything like evening courses for english in OOB it will be great if I could manage to learn English properly in USA. Would be great if there is any degree or accreditation after completion of the course.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:49 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,643,851 times
I've always wondered how folks working in the resort areas can afford to live anywhere near there. As stated, housing in OOB during summer would not be cheap. Perhaps a roommate situation? You could always post an ad on craigslist under "housing wanted", too.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine