Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:17 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times

Advertisements

Another thread a few months back. Fall I think. Try the search box. Too long to get into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:48 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerWannabe View Post
Well, one has to!
What really has stricken me as odd, was the fact that "violent crimes" on a scale from 1 to 10, Calais got an awful "8"
If you go to Citidata's page on Calais, and scroll down to the crime statistics, you'll see a year-by-year breakdown of crimes committed by category for the last nine or so years: //www.city-data.com/city/Calais-Maine.html

Scroll down a little bit from there, and you'll see a vertical bar graph showing how the total crime rate for Calais compares to the U.S. average total crime rate: Calais' crime rate is higher than the U.S. average for all the nine years shown.

What else is interesting, I looked at the same graph for crime in New York City, and New York City looks lower than the U.S. average for the last seven years. If so, then total crime in New York City is lower than total crime in Calais for at least the last eight years: //www.city-data.com/city/New-York-New-York.html

Still, there have been no murders in Calais for the ten years shown on that Calais' Citi Data page in the link above; can't say the same for NYC.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:24 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Ok, first of all for those of you who have me on FB next time an exciting thread like this pops up tell me! And mensaguy, that gang Peachie and I started was still operating under the radar! geez... now MaineWriter writes it up and "poof!" we're gonna have to head back underground (or snowbank as the case may be). Just another example of what happens when you live in a small town...

K, really... let me point out something that hasn't been brought up: when someone crosses the border from Canada into Maine, at one of the 3 Calais crossings, and that person for whatever reason is arrested and charged, or detained or ticketed, in what town are those stats reported? I'm quite sure that they fall under "Calais", even though in reality other than Calais being the location of the crossing, we might have very little to do with the crime.

We've lived in Calais for almost 8 years now. We don't lock our doors (I think we have a housekey still... not sure), we don't lock the cars (although because we have young kids in the neighborhood now none of us in the neighborhood leave their keys in the cars, just in case--although my daughter's boyfriend always forgets), or the garage. We do have a dog (ok, four) so maybe that helps us feel safe? We've never been the victim of a crime. The "crime" I hear about are domestic violence issues, not very prevalent I don't think, but I do believe that reporting is high when it does occur, and we do have a drug task force here. Once in a while someone gets hit for underage drinking, but even with the drinking age in New Brunswick at 19, I don't think we have a huge problem with that. We did have a "crime spree" a year or two ago--about 20 street signs were stolen in town, in one night. However, the young guys were picked up the next day. In a small town, people talk, and getting away with anything is pretty tough. I did see a cruiser in front of Wal-Mart the other day--so either one of the guys ran out of paper clips or there was a shop-lifter, not sure. I know someone who was stopped for driving an unregistered vehicle too.... speeding? Well, don't go more than 10 over, 5 over in town, unless you're in a school zone, then all of us that see you will report you if you're the slightest bit over.

K, time for bed... we usually lock the doors at night.... keeps the boyfriend out.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Oh sure, Gangsta Queen!

If all else fails, blame the Canadians to protect your evil empire. LOL

Old 01-14-2011, 09:53 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Teenage Mutant Canadian Bedbugs with attitudes are commuting felonies

Old 01-15-2011, 05:50 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Ok, first of all for those of you who have me on FB next time an exciting thread like this pops up tell me! And mensaguy, that gang Peachie and I started was still operating under the radar! geez... now MaineWriter writes it up and "poof!" we're gonna have to head back underground (or snowbank as the case may be). Just another example of what happens when you live in a small town... .
Sorry Molly.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:05 PM

326 posts, read 433,857 times
Thank you guys for all your replies. Very informative really. Better than any stats on a website! I gather this high crime rate is just overblown. Gee, you can even leave your front door open? at night? Wow, that is a complete no-no down here.
In any event, I'll be visiting the area this summer.
Again thanks all.
Oh and I'll keep an eye for those bedbugs that fella kept mentioning...

Old 01-15-2011, 02:47 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerWannabe View Post
... Gee, you can even leave your front door open? at night? Wow, that is a complete no-no down here. ...
One thing I enjoy seeing is at the post office or grocery store parking lots; through-out the winter many vehicles are left parked with the engines running and doors unlocked.

I know a realtor that keeps an extra car [a cadillac] parked at the airport the keys are in the visor. Just in case any possible buyer comes to town so they will have a vehicle to use.

I have a house key; I know it works because when I installed the doors I tested the lock and made sure that the keys worked. However those doors have not been locked since.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:39 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
One thing I enjoy seeing is at the post office or grocery store parking lots; through-out the winter many vehicles are left parked with the engines running and doors unlocked.

I know a realtor that keeps an extra car [a cadillac] parked at the airport the keys are in the visor. Just in case any possible buyer comes to town so they will have a vehicle to use.

I have a house key; I know it works because when I installed the doors I tested the lock and made sure that the keys worked. However those doors have not been locked since.
I locked this place for about three weeks last summer when we found out there was a couple of crooks robbing homes right on the street that connects to ours. They robbed a house where a guy was sleeping upstairs at noon as he worked nights. They were pretty surprized when he came down the stairs wondering what was going on!
The eventually caught those guys and we eventually went back to not locking the doors as much. I don't lock them during the day anyway as I always have a shotgun or a pistol handy. The place may look like nobody is home when my truck is in the barn but kick open that door and you'll get a BIG surprize!!

Old 01-15-2011, 08:44 PM

326 posts, read 433,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I locked this place for about three weeks last summer when we found out there was a couple of crooks robbing homes right on the street that connects to ours. They robbed a house where a guy was sleeping upstairs at noon as he worked nights. They were pretty surprized when he came down the stairs wondering what was going on!
The eventually caught those guys and we eventually went back to not locking the doors as much. I don't lock them during the day anyway as I always have a shotgun or a pistol handy. The place may look like nobody is home when my truck is in the barn but kick open that door and you'll get a BIG surprize!!

LOL!
I guess I would just have to get myself a gun too! Or maybe put that funny sticker on the door that says: I have a gun! Oh wait...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine