Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:53 PM

326 posts, read 433,662 times

Advertisements

I just checked the crime rates in Calais in our very own City-Data, and it seems extremely high! Comparable to much larger cities or even some metropolis (by % of population). Does anybody know if this is accurate? And if it is, why is it so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,476 times
Got a reference I HAVE to see this one. Calais is p (I'm too lazy to look myself) Probably one of the safest towns in the state. Not like they have many breakins or MS13 or any other such things.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:53 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,250 times
I didn't realize that either, and I see the local paper with all it's polic reports, nothing to "big" ever made me think it was high.
How did you find this ?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:06 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
I've never said "Calais" and "Crime" in the same sentence before. Did Peachie and Mollysmiles start a gang or something? That should give "Maine Writer" some interesting source material.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I didn't realize that either, and I see the local paper with all it's polic reports, nothing to "big" ever made me think it was high.
How did you find this ?
I was quite surprised myself! Take a look:

Sperlings:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

and compare it to LA:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

CITY-DATA:

//www.city-data.com/city/Calais-Maine.html

I took with a grain of salt... But had to ask you guys.

Last edited by Yac; 02-16-2011 at 05:53 AM..

Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,476 times
It's all stats and should be taken with a grain of salt. And then some. We had a big discussion about this stuff last year on here. Small populations get higher crime (or any other stat) rates than larger places like LA, NYC, Atlanta. If Calais had 1 bicycle theft last year and then 3 this year then, whoa, crime is way up. I wouldn't even accept it with a grain of salt, pepper or any other spice.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:16 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I've never said "Calais" and "Crime" in the same sentence before. Did Peachie and Mollysmiles start a gang or something? That should give "Maine Writer" some interesting source material.
Please! Someone send me a tip! I've been waiting to write a story about that gang but I never catch them in the act! With names like Mollysmiles and Peachie they must be hardcore criminals.

What kind of crime are you concerned about in Calais?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Please! Someone send me a tip! I've been waiting to write a story about that gang but I never catch them in the act! With names like Mollysmiles and Peachie they must be hardcore criminals.

What kind of crime are you concerned about in Calais?
Well, I was just checking the area out and this came up, and I quote from Sperlings"

"Calais, ME, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 10, is 8. Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The US average is 4.Calais, ME, property crime, on a scale from 1 (low) to 10, is 7. Property crime includes the offenses of burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson. The object of the theft-type offenses is the taking of money or property, but there is no force or threat of force against the victims. The US average is 4."

I thought either there's something going on there or this info is false. Anyway, I thought to clarify with you guys...

Old 01-14-2011, 12:46 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,903 times
Seasonal domestic violence ratcheted by cabin fever.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:17 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerWannabe View Post
I just checked the crime rates in Calais in our very own City-Data, and it seems extremely high! Comparable to much larger cities or even some metropolis (by % of population). Does anybody know if this is accurate? And if it is, why is it so?
I've been researching moving to Maine for years.

And I keep getting anecdotal reports of a high rate of burglaries in much of Maine.

What I'm hearing comes from too many different sources for their not to be some truth to it.

The same is not true for other crimes in Maine--in all these years I have heard little about violent crimes in most of Maine, so I've no doubt the most of Maine is very safe when it comes to violent crimes.

But burglaries and theft are another matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine