Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:23 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,854,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Who is NOT a special interest group?

Just his demeanor in these types of situations - whether you agree with him or not - is embarassing. It sort of makes Mainers look like "country bumpkins"
I don't see it that way at all. I see it as straight shooting.
Refreshing.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
He actually said what was on his mind, I have to respect that. The way it was done was coarse, but ...
After their attack, Paul knew what the NAACP probably DOESN'T know: Paul's son is black. So he probably couldn't help but view them as silly.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:39 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,982,839 times
Trust me, laying claim to a Black son, friend or mentor does not qualify anybody as being immune from ignorance and lack of sensitivity.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:57 PM

846 posts, read 1,010,056 times
Let's see..... visit convicts who have impacted society in a less than desirable fashion for a career choice, or pay last respects to someone who has passed away who has chosen protect and add too society for their career choice? Things that make you go hmmmm.

He is one person, of course this is one reason there are Lieutenant Govenors and cabinet members, I can't tell you the number of times in my career I heard dignitaries begin speeches with,"I bring you greetings for Govenor so & so who sends regrets for not being able to be here today" pass the rubber chicken please.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Trust me, laying claim to a Black son, friend or mentor does not qualify anybody as being immune from ignorance and lack of sensitivity.

I agree; not going to argue about it but the NAACP was incredibly insensitive and often is.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:13 PM

37,223 posts, read 60,940,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Who is NOT a special interest group?

Just his demeanor in these types of situations - whether you agree with him or not - is embarassing. It sort of makes Mainers look like "country bumpkins"
The idea of refusing to cater to special interest groups was a large part of his campaign.

Most politicians will meet with a hundred groups and will promise each of them pork from the tax-payers.

He did not.

Also as your first post falsely claims; he did not tell the NAACP anything. Though acting now as if he had spoken to the NAACP, the NAACP has already began reacting and has leveled insults at our governor.

It is my understanding that before he got into politics, LePage was very active with the NAACP and did a lot to support them. Now that he is into a political position he is trying to refrain from showing favoritism. [which is a good thing].

Old 01-14-2011, 06:52 PM

22,836 posts, read 28,060,928 times
There is oftentimes a fine line between being charmingly irrascible as you speak your mind and making a complete jackass out of yourself. LePage seems bound and determined to make a jackass out of himself.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,851,558 times
He's not politically correct. Never claimed to be and proved it during the campaign. He still won the election. Although claiming an black son (some of my best friends...) is numb but the candor is refreshing. Too many groups are looking too hard for something to be insulted about (PC). My ex is really good at that. Time to toughen up and long time coming, IMO. And while we're at it, get the lawyers off TV. Sorry, off topic. I won't do it again.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,555,699 times
Finally, a Governor who is willing to ignore the povery pimps! Now, if he can dismantle the entire DHHS, find the $140 million that went missing a couple years ago, prosecute the perpetrators and put genuine limits on the welfare queens and their offspring, we will be moving forward. The Federal guidelines for welfare limits are just suggestions. I know of many families who have been on the system for well over five years. The SSI (Crazy Check) scam can be eliminated to!

Old 01-14-2011, 10:12 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,563,885 times
Finally a non Politically Correct Politician!! Hooray!! It's not insensitive to tell a badgering, insistant,left leaning hack group like the NAACP to pound sand! They're far too used to getting what they want when they want it. Like two year olds they will stomp their feet, smear you at every turn and play the race card. The NAACP has little to do, especially in Maine. We all know LePage has no tolerance for BS and won't tolerate berating and badgering from ANY special interest group or the press.....good for him!
The NAACP are going after two counties in Georgia for scheduling a snow make up day on MLK day. The school said it has to make up the NINE days they have been forced to take this year or the kids will be in school in JULY! It's HOT in Georgia in JULY NAACP....give it a break. You can't force people to observe a holiday if they choose not to, if they have a prior commitment, or need that day for something more important....like making up a snow day!! If the kids have to go on President's Day too then all is fair in my opinion!

Last edited by Maineah; 01-14-2011 at 10:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine