Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 08:02 PM

13 posts, read 26,954 times

Advertisements

I'm seeking answers from anyone with experience with Bath schools...

I'm really considering a move to Bath. I love the cozy feel of the town and its proximity to great beaches. I've also looked at some nice houses that are in my price range. But a big reason NOT to move there is that the schools have a bad reputation. I've looked at the "Great Schools" website in which the schools get a rating based on test scores and they do indeed seem generally mediocre. There is one outstanding exception, however. West Bath School has a great rating. Am I correct to assume that the school is only for students in the West Bath area? Or can any student in the Bath area attend? And are the ratings correct? Are the schools as bad as they appear on the Internet?

Luckily, I'm a work in another school district and so I'll be able to send my kids to that district. It would be nice, however, to know that I could send them to the local schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 07:07 PM

51 posts, read 90,231 times
I've had and still have teacher friends and other friends too who lived in Bath and whose children went to Bath Schools. They liked/like the Bath schools, all of them.

I've met children in the Bath schools. They are proud of their schools.

As for those ratings, figures just don't tell the whole story.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:11 PM

51 posts, read 90,231 times
Default Brunswick schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarissa2010 View Post
I've had and still have teacher friends and other friends too who lived in Bath and whose children went to Bath Schools. They liked/like the Bath schools, all of them.

I've met children in the Bath schools. They are proud of their schools.

As for those ratings, figures just don't tell the whole story.
Just for the record, Brunswick schools are excellent too.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:13 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
One of my wife's co-workers is teaches part-time in Bath schools. She says the elementary schools are ok, but the middle and high school not so much. That's just one person's opinion though. Still, Bath schools do not have a very good reputation around here. How deserved that is, I'm not sure.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:19 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
The top rated schools in Maine according to Newsweek magazine are as follows: Yarmouth High School #1 and ranked #5 in New England over all. Cape Elizabeth. #2 and ranked #21 in New England schools and Greenville ranked #3 in Maine and 26th in New England. Those are your top choices. Yarmouth and Cape Elizabeth have been National Schools Of Excellence since the 80's.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:43 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
The top rated schools in Maine according to Newsweek magazine are as follows: Yarmouth High School #1 and ranked #5 in New England over all. Cape Elizabeth. #2 and ranked #21 in New England schools and Greenville ranked #3 in Maine and 26th in New England. Those are your top choices. Yarmouth and Cape Elizabeth have been National Schools Of Excellence since the 80's.
Ya! For the $ millions we spend from our property tax dollars to graduate about 17 kids a year, they should all get accepted at MIT with a full boat scholarship!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,799 times
Default grew up in bath

There is a saying that if someone can't spell or multiply then they must have graduated from Morse. The Bath schools used to be really bad. I moved to Brunswick, the next town over so that my kids would have a better education then me. My two girls are now in their second year of college. The Bath schools might be better now but I am glad that my kids went to Brunswick schools. Although that makes it hard at sporting events and the blue and the white song is being sung and I am the only one in the crowd on my side to sing along.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,506 times
I just graduated from college, and have moved away from Maine because of my job, but I spent my whole educational career in the Bath schools, and found them to be great. I had small classes, teachers who were dedicated and earnest, and a great group of classmates. I took all honors and AP courses, and felt very well served. I have heard that the students who are less satisfied with Morse are those who were not academically inclined to begin with, but that's kind of in their wheelhouse, isn't it?

As far as elementary and middle schools went, I loved having the same close-knit group of fellow students throughout all my years, and I still remain friendly with all of the teachers I have had in the past. I thought the way that middle school students were divided between some class levels depending on experience and ability was very appropriate, and I think teachers did a good job challenging those who were at the higher levels while still encouraging and devoting time to bringing lower-level students up. I appreciated that I never had a teacher who diverted class time away from the subject to focus on standardized test prep (except the SAT and PSAT, which teachers provided after-school courses for, and AP exams, which required in-class practice).

I would rather send my children to Morse than to Brunswick, which is twice the size, has large classes, and feels much more impersonal in general.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:29 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
I have mixed feelings about school ratings..

On one hand its not hard to see towns like Yarmouth and the Cape do well when most of the students are coming from good homes and families who have an income to support an education..

In lewiston because of immigration you got a school that english is not its primary language spoken by the students... I am sure their ratings are not high... And how difficult would that be for some kids??

On the other hand I used to think because of this there were no really "bad" schools...

However my experiences with SAD 15 gray/newgloucester schools have changed my mind..

so now I look at stats that matter to me.... I dont care about per pupil expendature, I care about are students graduating and going on to higher education?

I care about demographics of the school and town/city... Who are the kids my child is going to be making friends with and hanging around with...

I look at my children and their needs.. do I have a son who loves to play football or hockey, do I have a child that is gifted and talented and who would benifit from schools that offer more in the way of ap and honors classes... things like that...

be subjective and look at what it is your kids need...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine