Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 07:45 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,476,429 times

Advertisements

After being a Maine property owner for about a year, I have noticed that Maine like Florida is really two states in one. In Maine, it seems to be the states of Portland (york, Cumberland), and the rest of the state. It is not hard to figure out that most of the money and people are in Portland area and that the rest of the state is not as wealthy or as populated. That's not a good thing or a bad thing, it just is. Personally Portland and that area is simply something to drive through and keep driving for a hundred or so miles. I prefer to live out my retirement in a small downeast coastal town. In the time we have owned property in Maine I have noticed that Mainers are truthful and do not exaggerate about the taxes they pay. The homeowners "cost of doing business" is comparable to, or a bit higher than where I live in Florida. The taxpayers "cost of doing business" in Maine is considerably higher. That doesn't discourage me, but these are facts that need to be taken into account by people moving to and retiring in Maine. I suspect, that if Maine taxes are compared to the rest of the northeast they are close to the same (maybe not NH). Taxes are higher in Maine than in other parts of the country. I guess what I am saying, is that land in Maine, other than the Portland area, is a bargain. The higher costs of living in Maine sort of even out the low cost of the land and houses outside of the south coast. But, Maine is all about quality of life, and money isn't everything. If I seem to be rambling here, forgive me. I have no regrets becoming a homeowner in Maine, except for the fact I can't spend enough time there. As I just remembered, we (DW MenME) closed on our property exactly a year ago today. We don't regret a cent we have spent. I agree with Forest and others who repeatedly tell people to do your homework before you move to Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 09:14 AM

653 posts, read 1,909,462 times
Quote:
Ellsworth is the second largest city in the United States
must be a land mass not populations nor the economy it generrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Huh? New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Washington DC, etc., etc. These are all smaller than Ellsworth? Dang! I've been wrong about this for a long time.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:23 AM

37,222 posts, read 60,940,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
After being a Maine property owner for about a year, I have noticed that Maine like Florida is really two states in one. In Maine, it seems to be the states of Portland (york, Cumberland), and the rest of the state. It is not hard to figure out that most of the money and people are in Portland area and that the rest of the state is not as wealthy or as populated. That's not a good thing or a bad thing, it just is. Personally Portland and that area is simply something to drive through and keep driving for a hundred or so miles. I prefer to live out my retirement in a small downeast coastal town. In the time we have owned property in Maine I have noticed that Mainers are truthful and do not exaggerate about the taxes they pay. The homeowners "cost of doing business" is comparable to, or a bit higher than where I live in Florida. The taxpayers "cost of doing business" in Maine is considerably higher. That doesn't discourage me, but these are facts that need to be taken into account by people moving to and retiring in Maine. I suspect, that if Maine taxes are compared to the rest of the northeast they are close to the same (maybe not NH). Taxes are higher in Maine than in other parts of the country.
I have no experience in Portland.

I can not say what prices are, nor what taxes are in Portland.

From our experience Maine has cheaper taxes.

We have lived in areas where fresh fruits and veggies are very cheap. Which is not the case in Maine. Not to say that food is anything above the national average here, food is simply not cheap here.

Our experience has been that land can be very cheap in Maine.

Our experience has been that vehicle taxes are far lower in Maine then what we have paid in other states. We have never paid such low vehicle taxes and registration fees, as we do in Maine.

We have owned the properties, before moving to Maine. And Maine property taxes are much lower [in our experience], than what we have paid elsewhere. We have never previously paid such low property taxes, as we do for our Maine property.

Perhaps, my I suggest that you are comparing Portland with the 'South Coast' of Maine. And in doing so you see a huge distinction between Portland and the 'South Coast'.

Well the South Coast is a small portion of Maine.

I moved here as a retiree on pension.

I see folks raising families on about the same level of income as what I bring in. I admit though that I live a somewhat simpler lifestyle than I guess others do.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:45 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,957,111 times
I just can't wait for mensaguy to be retired and living in Maine together.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:50 AM

16,586 posts, read 15,510,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
must be a land mass not populations nor the economy it generrated.
On this list of cities ranked by land mass, Ellsworth is 114.

List of United States cities by area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-31-2008, 10:40 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,916,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
On this list of cities ranked by land mass, Ellsworth is 114.

List of United States cities by area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tell city hall.

I think it is total area not land mass.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:12 PM

129 posts, read 245,255 times
I do notice that Ellsworth is the second largest city in Maine by land mass, next to metropolitan Caribou. Downeast or northern Maine are just different from the rest of the US. We have "cities" with no traffic lights, and the only chain store is the IGA. Taxes are a different experience for each of us; more for some, less for others. People who live within their means can live very comfortably on not very much money. A woman who just moved here was telling me she was a year and a half into her 5 year lease on her nice vehicle, and it was setting her back about 570 a month. I said that although it was a good all weather vehicle, that 570 a month could buy a lot of groceries, fuel oil, cartloads of stuff at mardens, etc. Then I was remembering my brother-in-law in NC who was leasing 2 vehicles, a Range Rover and a Jaguar, both over 600 dollars a month, and their wasn't but one of him. Poeple here are more practical.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:51 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,916,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb View Post
I do notice that Ellsworth is the second largest city in Maine by land mass, next to metropolitan Caribou. Downeast or northern Maine are just different from the rest of the US. We have "cities" with no traffic lights, and the only chain store is the IGA. Taxes are a different experience for each of us; more for some, less for others. People who live within their means can live very comfortably on not very much money. A woman who just moved here was telling me she was a year and a half into her 5 year lease on her nice vehicle, and it was setting her back about 570 a month. I said that although it was a good all weather vehicle, that 570 a month could buy a lot of groceries, fuel oil, cartloads of stuff at mardens, etc. Then I was remembering my brother-in-law in NC who was leasing 2 vehicles, a Range Rover and a Jaguar, both over 600 dollars a month, and their wasn't but one of him. Poeple here are more practical.
Before I gave it all up and retired, my wife and I each had very expensive cars. During the last four years of my business, we each leased cars through the business as we both were involved in the business and the automobile expense was deducted from taxable income.

Since retiring to other things and moving back downeast, my transportation needs have changed dramatically, although my transportation desires have not. Both my wife and I drive cars that had very high sticker prices when new...that's the key: when new. Now we never, ever buy mechanical things for first dollar. My "new" car had a sticker price of nearly $50,000 1990 dollars. It took me more than a year to find it, and then I went to Pittsburg to get it. Paid about ten cents on a dollar for this car, with 62,000 original miles. It could be the last car I will ever own.

About the only thing that we don't really scrimp on is food. But we do go to Sams once every three months. But long ago we gave up nightclubbing...of course, there AREN'T any where we are anyway.

I guess simplifying is a good way to describe the "good life" of Maine. We gain enjoyment from looking out into the front yard and seeng the thirty or forty wild turkeys who come to rake my leaves once or twice a day. And of course, no traffic lights for five miles from where we are now.

Unfortunately, we still have television and my wife really enjoys...no is addicted...to watching the news. If I could shut all of that out, life would be perfect!

Old 11-01-2008, 05:18 PM

19,957 posts, read 30,001,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I'd like to know about the property taxes too. We've been looking up around Eastport and Ellsworth at property to build something for summer months. I found on realtor.com a piece of land - 93.6 acres for $59000 and it says it's waterfront. I can't imagine that can be right, but it's there.

Here's the link if you want
i did see 96 acres for 85k in columbia falls,,

didnt see the one you mentioned,,,

Old 11-01-2008, 06:36 PM

37,222 posts, read 60,940,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb View Post

$570 and $600 / month are pretty high bills.

We have had mortgage payments over that in the past. Never a car payment that high.

My Dw bought a 2008 Chevy last February, her payment is around $200 / month though.

Living in Maine we have: fuel delivery bills, medical insurance bills, car insurance bills, that may each be in the neighborhood of $200/month. But at least these are annual or semi-annual or seasonal types of bills, not monthly like every month year around.

We have no bill that is greater than $200/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine