Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 03:04 PM

12 posts, read 28,606 times

Advertisements

I own some land up in the Belgrade lakes region of maine and I am thinking of having a driveway put in currently its 3 acres of woods. I have no idea of what prices these go for so I thought I would see if I can get some feedback

It would be about 30 feet, many trees need to come down, then gravel and whatever drainage is required to cut in from road.

anyone have any thoughts that would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 04:49 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
If it's on a state road you need a driveway entrance permit. Seek bids from area contractors. People who do septic systems usually do driveways.

Consider how the sun will melt snow off, how easy it will be to stop, look both ways and pull out. Consider snow removal factors and a turn-around on the property. Do you want the wood from the trees or do you want it gone? That can affect the price.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:23 PM

Its on a very private dirt road that goes half way around a lake and ends in a cul-de-sac. I will need a cut in from the dirt road to go about 35 feet into my lot and then end with a larger clearing. I do not want the wood.

Just a gravel driveway I am not planning on building for a few years but want to have a clearing to bring the kids camping.

I just have no clue what that would cost was wondering if anyone had something similar done. I dont know if its 1000 or 20000 . going to get estimates in the spring

Old 02-05-2011, 07:19 PM

There could be local people who would do it for the wood. That would be your lowest cost option. The wood would have to be good saw logs or veneer quality. Even if the wood is low quality it has some value as barter for some of the gravel. Without seeing the property I would guess less than $3000.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:19 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
I put in the driveway for our barn we built in 2000. There were just a few trees to cut and a few stumps to remove The driveway is similar in size to what you're doing. After digging it out with my front end loader and removing the rocks and stumps I had about 30 yards of coarse gravel hauled in 10 yards at a time. I spread it out with the loader and a york rake. I then had 10 yards of 3/4 inch crushed stone hauled in and spread that and leveled it as well. It wasn't hard to do though I had no drainage problems to contend with. I'd say NMLM is probably pretty close with the $3000 estimate especially if the wood is worth anything. Find a guy with a little bulldozer who wants the wood and you'll be in good shape.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:16 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There could be local people who would do it for the wood. That would be your lowest cost option. The wood would have to be good saw logs or veneer quality. Even if the wood is low quality it has some value as barter for some of the gravel. Without seeing the property I would guess less than $3000.
Is any topsoil removed in the process?

If so, who gets to keep the topsoil--isn't it worth something?

Old 02-06-2011, 01:34 PM

Descriptions are in the eyes and minds of the writers. I would not describe trees in the path of a 30 foot driveway as "lots of trees", but I might if faced with their removal and the tool at hand was a hatchet.

If the terrain permits I would make the driveway longer than 30 feet. My pickup and camper are longer than that. My camper alone is 29 feet.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:15 AM

well my description was probably to brief the actual driveway line from road to clearing will only be about 30 feet in then I will have a large circle clearing where I will actually park and pull up a travel trailer I have not decided if I am going to do some of it myself or have it all done in 1 shot from a professional

Old 02-08-2011, 05:26 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 824,294 times
In 2002 I had a 700' driveway put in with a very good sized turnaround at the end, cost back then was approx 5K if I remember correctly. The contractor also laid a mud barrier under the gravel. It involved clearing, stump removal, some huge rocks and was nothing but woods to get down to where I needed to be. I had 5 bids and he was in the middle. It held up great for 7 years till I began
to build then had to have it gone over because of all the big vehicles coming in and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine