Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:30 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times

Advertisements

I'm so extremely excited!! Our move plans have been "moved" up. We've decided to go ahead and list the house as soon as DH completes his current certification course the end of October. We're just so ready to get moved, we can't wait any longer to take a step forward. We finally feel like we're prepared enough to take the plunge.

Of course, it's going to be a matter of the timing of the sale of our home. That is one reason we're going to list the house sooner, than later. The market in our area is extremely slow this year, and the house across the street from us has been listed for 9 months now, with no offers. Lots of showings, but no offers. That's a little scary.

We're talking with Sam from Hometown Realty in Belfast about the lease properties available. He says we may need to come and get into temporary housing until we find something more permanent, due to the difficulty of getting a house without being right there when the right thing comes available. It would be really great if our house sells during the winter months and we could rent a seasonal place for a couple of months during the off-season when more is available.

We want to lease a year round residence for the first couple of years until we are absolutely certain which area we want to set roots in. As we all know, visiting and living in a place are very different!

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 08:40 AM

One thing we're excited about is meeting some of the people on this board that we've talked to off and on for over a year now. It will really be great to put some faces to the names!

Old 07-20-2007, 11:03 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I'm so extremely excited!! Our move plans have been "moved" up. We've decided to go ahead and list the house as soon as DH completes his current certification course the end of October. We're just so ready to get moved, we can't wait any longer to take a step forward. We finally feel like we're prepared enough to take the plunge.

Of course, it's going to be a matter of the timing of the sale of our home. That is one reason we're going to list the house sooner, than later. The market in our area is extremely slow this year, and the house across the street from us has been listed for 9 months now, with no offers. Lots of showings, but no offers. That's a little scary.

We're talking with Sam from Hometown Realty in Belfast about the lease properties available. He says we may need to come and get into temporary housing until we find something more permanent, due to the difficulty of getting a house without being right there when the right thing comes available. It would be really great if our house sells during the winter months and we could rent a seasonal place for a couple of months during the off-season when more is available.

We want to lease a year round residence for the first couple of years until we are absolutely certain which area we want to set roots in. As we all know, visiting and living in a place are very different!

Any suggestions?
Lucky you, Elcarim! Looks like things are moving along for you. We're going to rent for the first year too when we make our move. I've been checking on craigslist, and there are quite a few rentals listed. Some of them even allow pets!

Good luck with everything! I hope your house sells very quickly!

Old 07-20-2007, 11:47 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
You're so lucky!! Good luck with the sale of your home and getting moved up to Maine.

I'll tell you, when we finally get back there sometime next year, we will NEVER leave again. No way, nope, not gonna happen.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:08 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
You're so lucky!! Good luck with the sale of your home and getting moved up to Maine.

I'll tell you, when we finally get back there sometime next year, we will NEVER leave again. No way, nope, not gonna happen.
That's what I always tell hubby. Once we live in Maine, I'll never leave. I can't wait to come home to Maine !

Old 07-25-2007, 04:26 PM

Great news on TWO fronts! The realtor was in yesterday, and we found out we'll likely get about $10K more for our home than we expected. We're going to list on September 1st. Wahoo! Now we're just hoping it sells quickly.

Also, DH talked with Midcoast EMS today and was told he will have no problem at all with his credentials being hired in the midcoast area the minute we hit Maine soil! They said, "There just aren't enough damn people to do this job!" He even has an extra cert that most EMTs in Maine don't carry, and they said that puts him ahead of the pack. Wahooooo! That was a very comforting bit of info, seeing as how we are coming up with no job lined up in advance (most likely). He will be able to transfer his certs ahead of time so going to work will be almost immediate.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:21 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
Congrats, Elcarim!!

Wise choice too- rent for a while and get a feel for the place. No rush- housing prices will not go up, look at the slump in the national average resale market reported int he news today.

I have a feeling Maine is in for a long term housing slump. Hope I am wrong. It always seems that Maine endures a recession later and longer than anywhere else.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:39 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
Yea Elcarim!! Congratulations!!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:17 PM

165 posts, read 414,902 times
Great news.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:39 PM

Well, we finally finished painting the outside of the house and are moving inside! And not a moment too soon, with our temps going into the 100s this week!!

Tomorrow morning, we get to go buy new kitchen counter tops and new baseboards to put throughout the house. I'm kind of excited, since I've been working on old, painted formica counters for 5 years now. It will be nice to have new ones for a month or two at least!

Moving right along!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: