Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:12 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times

Advertisements

I'll bring my pocket level when I go out and I'm not even a code guy. What a Rube Goldberg cluster flip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 05:48 PM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I'll bring my pocket level when I go out and I'm not even a code guy. What a Rube Goldberg cluster flip.
I'll agree it looks like a Rube Goldberg creation, but after studying the pic a little, it seems alot of what you see are for venting purposes. A stick built house would normally have the vent stacks running in interior walls, tied together in the attic and perhaps one main stack going through the roof. This pic looks like most of the venting had to be done under the floor. I'm not a plumber, but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, and even though the pic looks like overkill, I'm guessing what you see is required because there probably were no vent stacks in the interior walls.
Probably still top end of what it should have cost, but all the pex, that Rube Goldberg creation, and plumbing a fuel tank is more than 2 or 3 days in my eyes. I'm thinking it's not too far out of line, hour-wise but that's just my opinion.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:58 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
I'll agree it looks like a Rube Goldberg creation, but after studying the pic a little, it seems alot of what you see are for venting purposes. A stick built house would normally have the vent stacks running in interior walls, tied together in the attic and perhaps one main stack going through the roof. This pic looks like most of the venting had to be done under the floor. I'm not a plumber, but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, and even though the pic looks like overkill, I'm guessing what you see is required because there probably were no vent stacks in the interior walls.
Probably still top end of what it should have cost, but all the pex, that Rube Goldberg creation, and plumbing a fuel tank is more than 2 or 3 days in my eyes. I'm thinking it's not too far out of line, hour-wise but that's just my opinion.
I noticed all the "vent' work also.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:11 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
You need to get the local plumbing inspector. If he blows it off then you need to call Augusta. That is ridiculous.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:52 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Venting is an issue. I was under the impression that code now stipulates that every drain has to have a separate vent. Whatever the case it isn't pretty and looks like this guy's first job!
"Hot on the left, cold on the right, and crap flows downhill"....you have just passed the plumber's exam....... good luck with your new career.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:51 PM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Venting is an issue. I was under the impression that code now stipulates that every drain has to have a separate vent.
You are correct that each drain needs a vent, but typically they are in the wall, tied together into one protrusion through the roof. That Rube Goldberg creation accomplishes a vent for each drain, but the vent ties into the one pipe on the front left from what I can figure. I don't think it was the first job, just making it meet code. To me it looks properly vented, just all vents tied together in the basement. Cleanouts look done correctly as well. I'm not taking the side of the plumber, but I did have some work done this fall, and it was nowhere near as much as this and the guy had 25 hours...but I was there when he was working so I didn't feel cheated. I also didn't pay $50 an hour so it didn't hurt so bad.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:24 AM

489 posts, read 1,210,463 times
They could be there but in that maze I can't see them, but shouldn't there be a "trap" or two? Especially for a bathtub drain or a wash machine drain. Unlike a sink trap, these almost have to be installed under floor. But I'm also not a plumber so could be wrong. But CS should check and be aware.
A few years back a friend of mine bought a brand new house and had sewer smell problems and found that builder/plumber forgot to install something somewhere (forgot details).

If I felt I was way overcharged, I would still take this guy to small claims court, especially after receiving an "updated" bill. You would think the modular homes mfg could provide a spec sheet that would give approx cost of this job, time wise and materials. I would think this might be a common matter in all the trades; building/plumbing,elec., automotive repair, etc. for a small claims judge.

Just recently I had a MIL bathroom installed in first floor of our home. Luckily, my son did all the work. Pex and PVC are very inexpensive (imo). The pex fittings can add up though. And he has a $300 pex crimping tool. He uses this tool on his day job.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 PM

8 posts, read 8,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
I just purchased a new modular home that came with a furnace. I hired a local plumber to connect the furnace, fuel tank and water lines.

Well the bill for said work just came in and $5200.xx bucks is what it comes to.

Does anyone have a problem with this, or just me?
A plumber!?!.....LOL!!!!

Plumbers are good for toilets and sinks.
HVAC professionals do heat.

You got ripped.

My company (down state NY) would have charged $4,400. for that job.
I do know for a fact (Maine Masters Licence holder...Me) that I would have charged 3,800. (+permit fee's) for that same job in Bangor.

I feel for you but next time....call the right man for the job.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:55 PM

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...e-sam_1082.jpg

LMFAO!!!

Now I see why they want me to move back to Maine!

Old 03-11-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
In my opinion, a hook-up for $5200 was way beyond highway robbery. It was fraud. I'd call the cops.
Call them for what?

The price?....there isn't a maximum amount a person is allowed to charge.
If a person agrees to pay for a job....that's the end of it.
A judge would dismiss the case before you could get all the facts out of your mouth.

It's a shame....
A total installation of a oil tank, miller furnace w/ air conditioning (too boot) wouldn't take more than a day to do...for a professional.
Of course...
the $80. an hour that a professional charges is why guys who make $49. an hour, get all the jobs....and causes all the problems.

For $80. an hour and 10 hours to do the installation...who would have been cheaper?

Buyer beware
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine