Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 AM

346 posts, read 786,019 times

Advertisements

I just purchased a new modular home that came with a furnace. I hired a local plumber to connect the furnace, fuel tank and water lines.

Well the bill for said work just came in and $5200.xx bucks is what it comes to.

Does anyone have a problem with this, or just me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times
Did you get an estimate? From multiple plumbers to compare?

I don't think I would hire anybody to do this kind of work without at least knowing a ballpark price.

It seems a little high, but I don't know what-all they did. Prices vary depending on location, too? Is this in Maine?

Regardless, its done now and you are on the hook to pay up, whether you were overcharged or not. Sorry...

Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
There should have been a written estimate before the plumber started work. Did you get multiple estimates from different companies? Is this in New Jersey or Maine? Union or non-union?

Basically, we need more information to make a reasoned response.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:38 AM

Sorry, it's Maine.
No, I dropped the ball big time on this, it was recommended by another contractor.

Right now, it's water under the bridge. The check will be in tomorrows mail, I'm just not happy about this.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:38 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Why wouldn't the furnace be connected before closing? How was it heated to prevent freeze ups? I've never helped a buyer with a new modular home, but I've sold plenty of new stick built homes and always have the contactor put fuel in the tank and have the furnace running during the building inspection. What would you have done if the furnace didn't turn on?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:35 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Seems really steep to me. My brother had a new boiler installed for less than that and it included the cost of the boiler!!!
Sounds like you got the "out of stater who's not around to complain" price.

I once had a plumber charge me $100.00 to lift the cover off my septic tank and tell me it was full. His excuse??? My wife had a new Saab so I could obviously afford it....I never hired him again and neither did anyone I know.... I made sure of it...I filed a Better Business Bureau report on him too. Eventually he lost his business,his wife, and is working for someone else now....he deserved it. I wasn't the only one he treated this way. I know an electrician who bases his price per hour on what his customers drive as well... That's why over the years I have learned basic plumbing, basic electrical,and a few other trades (still not much of a carpenter though!). I don't like to be beholding to these clowns. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to wire a switch or glue a couple of PVC pipes together. Not sure I'd tackle installing a furnace though.

Last edited by Maineah; 02-03-2011 at 10:44 AM..

Old 02-03-2011, 04:24 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
'A new modular home'

I think the manufacturer was supposed to do this work.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:30 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
There are many ways to buy a modular home. You can be your own prime contractor and choose the tradesmen. You can have a local person gather bids for you and do the leg work or you can buy it turn key from the supplier.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:41 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
. . . . Sounds like you got the "out of stater who's not around to complain" price.

I once had a plumber charge me $100.00 to lift the cover off my septic tank and tell me it was full. His excuse??? My wife had a new Saab so I could obviously afford it . . . . I know an electrician who bases his price per hour on what his customers drive as well. . . . .
I've heard that many Mainers in the trades might believe that all out-of-staters are rich and used to paying high prices for similar services where they come from, like New York City, for example.

Moral of the story is drive a sound but beat up looking car and wear old clothes (I prefer banged up looking cars and old clothes, anyway, both are more comfortable).

Certainly, if I were to have a new house custom built, the aforementioned accoutrements are a requirement.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
I've heard that many Mainers in the trades might believe that all out-of-staters are rich and used to paying high prices for similar services where they come from, like New York City, for example.

Moral of the story is drive a sound but beat up looking car and wear old clothes (I prefer banged up looking cars and old clothes, anyway, both are more comfortable).

Certainly, if I were to have a new house custom built, the aforementioned accoutrements are a requirement.

So far everyone in Maine get's at least $45 bucks an hour, PLUS travel time.
That's a very, very good Union Job in the New York area, and the time clock starts when you get to work, not the commute in......

My 1997 F-150 sits at home only because I got a very good deal off Ebay for a 2008 Dodge Ram crew cab. ($14,200) I don't trust the old truck for the trips up to Maine, so I use the Dodge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine