Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 09:06 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times

Advertisements

On the other side of the world about as far south as we are north is Australia. The whole of Eastern Australia has been devastated by floods. They are a proud people and ask for nothing from the world. This is the Australian youth choir. They are doing "swarms" where they appear out of nowhere any place there is a big crowd and sing "Australia".

Click on the YouTube link to create a donation for the Queensland flood victims. It won't cost you anything.

http://www.youtube.com/storytellermedia

One of our door gunners 40 years ago was an Australian. He decided he would rather be a Seawolf door gunner than a cook. In the chaos that was the Mekong Delta 40 years ago today something like that could happen. We refer to him as the world's only Australian Seawolf door gunner in captivity.

Tony Huntley has my Maine SEAWOLF license plate on his car in Australia.He sent me the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 09:43 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,434,710 times
Clicked by don't see what to do from there.......... Hoping just opening the link is what you mean.....

Thank you for serving. Truly means so much to those of us in this house.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:37 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,392,132 times
Nice, Thanks. I've seen a few videos of the destruction there.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:46 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
On the other side of the world about as far south as we are north is Australia. The whole of Eastern Australia has been devastated by floods. They are a proud people and ask for nothing from the world. This is the Australian youth choir. They are doing "swarms" where they appear out of nowhere any place there is a big crowd and sing "Australia".

Click on the YouTube link to create a donation for the Queensland flood victims. It won't cost you anything.

http://www.youtube.com/storytellermedia

One of our door gunners 40 years ago was an Australian. He decided he would rather be a Seawolf door gunner than a cook. In the chaos that was the Mekong Delta 40 years ago today something like that could happen. We refer to him as the world's only Australian Seawolf door gunner in captivity.

Tony Huntley has my Maine SEAWOLF license plate on his car in Australia.He sent me the link.
great video!!
thanks for posting

Old 02-19-2011, 04:03 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,921 times
Door Gunner's were lucky to finish their tour, course a cook took a gamble as well! I was in Sydney in 1992, saw on TV that that coming weekend they were opening their Vietnam Memorial in Canberra (Australian Capitol Territory). I rented a car and drove down (equalivent of Portland to Richmond, VA) having never driven on the other side of the car/or road! I was given the honor of marching with them as an American Vet and pushing a fella in a wheelchair from Queensland who lost his legs in an Arty incident. Good people. They and the Kiwi's have always been at America's side when the dookey hit the fan, no questions asked. I was upset when Geo W. called England our best friend, not true. Thank You for your service NMLM. You should go visit your friend some day.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:32 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
A Maine license plate in Oz, I imagine that raises a few eyebrows.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:37 PM

He actually got Parliament to "pass a sentiment" allowing him to display the plate in addition to his regular plate. Several constables have thanked him for his service and told him to slow down a bit.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 AM

Kiwiluver,
As they say in Oz, "G'donya".

Many residents of the old Commonwealth Nations travel extensively among those nations. In Toronto there is a bar called "Down Under". It's a great place with great people and all the employees are Aussies with a "digger' or two among them. Aussies are like Mainers in many ways. They are just plain likeable.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:13 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,921 times
Yep, I'm headed over to New Zealand in April to see my in-laws. I go with the Father-in-law to the RSA (Returned Service Association) equivalent to the VFW. If I was a drinking man, it would cost me nothing to drink there. They are very generous, and actually thankful to the United States. Unlike unnamed European Nations whose beaches once were red from the blood of American boys. Your mate seems like "a good keen bloke" of which there are plenty in the antipodes. As a side note, my wife finally heard from her last relative to check in after the severe earthquake earlier this week. Many other families are not so lucky.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:24 AM

I have a friend who would like to go to one of three places when he dies: Wellington, NZ; Barcelona, Spain or Heaven - in that order. I have been to the Antarctic, but never to NZ. I think I missed out. Glad your whole family made it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine