Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,418 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am from Upstate NY but have lived in Fort Collins, CO for around 7 years now. I do miss the East Coast but I'm used to no humidity and no bugs now. That is the big perk! Anyway, my husband starts a job in Portland and we are going to be moving to Maine. Can anyone tell me a few things about Maine (I'm at the mercy of what I see online). I'm thinking about Bath. I have an 11 year old son. I'm a little concerned about the higher cost of living, taxes and also, housing. I have MS and need a ranch. Most of the houses I've seen are rather old and large .. not one story. Is there hope for me?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 AM

3,466 posts, read 7,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamala Prosch View Post
Hi. I am from Upstate NY but have lived in Fort Collins, CO for around 7 years now. I do miss the East Coast but I'm used to no humidity and no bugs now. That is the big perk! Anyway, my husband starts a job in Portland and we are going to be moving to Maine. Can anyone tell me a few things about Maine (I'm at the mercy of what I see online). I'm thinking about Bath. I have an 11 year old son. I'm a little concerned about the higher cost of living, taxes and also, housing. I have MS and need a ranch. Most of the houses I've seen are rather old and large .. not one story. Is there hope for me?

THANKS!
Plenty of 1 story houses around. Rent when you first get here, then do your shopping. It's easier and less stressfull.

Good luck with your MS. Dad had that. The heat in the summers was tough on him.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,584,402 times
There is a very good adaptive equipment company in Gray, Maine near Portland. We have plenty of ranch houses, but like ranches, they are not in cities. That's why they are called ranch houses. Maine got a 200 year head start on Colorado and many of our homes are indeed older.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:19 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,698,368 times
Quote:

THANKS!
I wouldn't worry. Coming from Fort Collins you might lose a little something (from what I hear Fort Collins is pretty awesome)

Yes taxes are higher and housing "might" be a little higher too but you will manage.

Bath is nice, Portland is nice too. I would not rush to make any big decisions until you get here and are here for a while.

All the schools are fine especially if your new to an area and just getting a feel for it.. The thing about Maine is that yes there are some really good schools and then a lot of just average schools.. I dont believe there are any bad schools..

But you will have to get to know an area before you know where it is you want to live.. Maine is loosly populated and portland is only 65k people.. and right outside are some very small towns..

Portland is very livable along with being right outside of it..

If your looking at Bath because it is less expensive take it with a grain of salt.. looking at pictures online is deceiving..

I do believe you could find a nice one floor rental for the first year.

good luck

Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 AM

22,858 posts, read 28,109,569 times
Quote:

THANKS!
The area definitely has higher humidity than you're used to in Colorado, but the bugs aren't TOO bad. Nothing like farther south in Massachusetts or even parts of New Hampshire.

Bath is a nice town and has affordable housing. Great downtown area. I'd be a little concerned about the schools though, if you have an 11 year old. Bath schools don't have a very good reputation. Also infamous for high drug use.

I suggest you try nearby Topsham, Brunswick, Freeport, or Yarmouth. The closer to Portland you get, the higher the cost of living is going to be. But all those towns have better schools than Bath.

There are definitely 1 story homes around, but multi-story homes definitely dominate the area.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:29 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,203,121 times
Hello Pamala, I just checked and there are 375 ranch or raised ranch houses in Cumberland County currently on the market, including plenty in the cities (Portland itself has 22). That does not include Bath, which is in Sagadahoc County. Bath to Portland is a long commute for your husband, depending on when he gets in and out of both towns, he could be looking at almost an hour.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:55 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,586,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Hello Pamala, I just checked and there are 375 ranch or raised ranch houses in Cumberland County currently on the market, including plenty in the cities (Portland itself has 22). That does not include Bath, which is in Sagadahoc County. Bath to Portland is a long commute for your husband, depending on when he gets in and out of both towns, he could be looking at almost an hour.
The commute has to be considered here. Gas is going to rise for the forseeable future. A commute from Bath to Portland is unreasonable unless you already lived in Bath and your job was transferred to Portland. I certainly would look much closer to Portland if not in Portland itself. $100-$150.00 in gas per week saved would let you live much closer to Portland where the schools are better and the commute is very short.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:24 PM

22,858 posts, read 28,109,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
The commute has to be considered here. Gas is going to rise for the forseeable future. A commute from Bath to Portland is unreasonable unless you already lived in Bath and your job was transferred to Portland. I certainly would look much closer to Portland if not in Portland itself. $100-$150.00 in gas per week saved would let you live much closer to Portland where the schools are better and the commute is very short.
I commute from Brunswick to Yarmouth every day. A Bath to Portland commute wouldn't be a whole lot farther. I spend on average $30 a week on gas, so fuel prices would have to go up A LOT to cost you $100 a week for a Bath-Portland commute.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:09 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,203,121 times
When evaluating commuting costs, you need to factor in more than just gas. The IRS reimburses business travelers .51 per mile. A 30 mile commute one way commute for 22 Days a month is nearly $675. A 10 mile commute is one third of that or just under $225. That $450 needs to be accounted for in your monthly costs, something that I make sure buyers consider when they tell me where they work and want to live. Is a larger house with more land worth the aggravation (and cost) of a long commute, or is a smaller house closer to work and the "city" more important.

Not to pick on you personally, but a Brunswick to Yarmouth commute is a lot easier than a Bath to Portland commute as both of those communities have significant traffic in just getting to Interstate 295. If you've ever tried to get out of Portland or Bath at the wrong time, you'll be able to relate.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:13 PM

326 posts, read 431,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Plenty of 1 story houses around. Rent when you first get here, then do your shopping. It's easier and less stressfull.

Good luck with your MS. Dad had that. The heat in the summers was tough on him.

I understand your concerns... I too am to move to ME. Rent first - is the best of advices! Do it, see how it goes, and after a year or maybe a little more, see how things are where you are. Take into consideration: The weather, your neighbors, the local culture, your interests, your neighbors' way of live , your son's interest etc. You will find a 1 story house, I myself found plenty on the web. But whatever you do, think baby steps, easy on you.
Good luck from the bottom of my heart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine